School POI

what map version do you have?
I have a school POI on my 920. This is apart from the college/university POI it has.

I have the Go 720 - firmware 7.221 and North America Map to 710.

I don't seem to have School POI's - or if I do I don't see them in the list of POI categories.

Do you have the POI categories 'Fire stations' and 'Playing field'?

Ahhh, you know what. I do remember either updating my firmware are updating the map on the 720 and losing the schools POI. It wasn't a big deal to me because I had made a backup of my unit, so I just went and found those POI files on my computer and copied them back over. There's a thread on this somewhere if you search.

Thats' interesting as I have map version 710.1584 and software version 7.221 and I have the school POI's. In fact I have 53 different POI catagories that came with the unit. I've had the unit a couple of months and I don't remember what versions came with it but I've updated the maps once (free map guarentee) and the software a couple of times without loosing any POI's.

No I don't have either of these categories. I do have a category 'Parks and Recreation'.

Just use TomTom Home to download the 'Schools' POI category. You'll also be able to download 'Playing Field' , 'Fire Stations', and 'Retail Stores' as well they're all free downloads.

Just use TomTom Home to download the 'Schools' POI category. You'll also be able to download 'Playing Field' , 'Fire Stations', and 'Retail Stores' as well they're all free downloads.

Well I logged in using TomTom 2 - and 'Playing Fields', 'Fire Stations' and 'Schools' are not listed as available for download. I did see 'Retail Stores'

School POIs is what I really need. I have sons playing Basketball with 2 or 3 games a week at different schools. My wive's integrated Nissan GPS has no problem finding any of the schools - it would be great if the Go 720 was able to do the same...

The easiest thing for you to do regarding those schools is to mark them as a favorite the first time you take your sons there. never a problem again.

even if you get the tomtom school poi thing worked out, it's quite probable that many and even all of those schools will not be in the tomtom poi database which is sketchy at best.

it's easier to punch up a favorite than search for a poi, and you'd likely wind up going the favorite route anyway.

Last edited:
Vandergraff
Lay the problem into the hands of TTY support. Have them send you the files for the POI's you are missing. In the meantime, I know it's a PITA but every school that I know about has a web site, get the address, and plug it into the TT and get there that way then make your own catagoy POI called schools and start loading them in. Anyway it's really a TT surrport call. I would have to believe that every TT 720 made for this country would be produced the same way with the same software loaded and if you are missing part of it from the get go then they should provide the necessay files to get you up to 100% functionality.
Regards
Richard

TomTom got rid of them on purpose

I spoke with them today about it and TomTom got rid of the school poi's "for the safety of children".

I spoke with them today about it and TomTom got rid of the school poi's "for the safety of children".

"for the safety of children" !!!!!!!

I would love to hear them explain this. Anyone can google schools and find their location. It is not like they are secret or something.

Anyway I sent an email support request to TomTom yesterday - let's see what they respond.

Hmm I guess that makes sense. Honestly I couldn't think of a reason why I'd even need the Schools POI. Once you know your child's school you're not going to forget where it is. I guess they figure that sexual predators could use the information to kidnap a child driving school to school which I guess could be true.

Hmm I guess that makes sense. Honestly I couldn't think of a reason why I'd even need the Schools POI. Once you know your child's school you're not going to forget where it is. I guess they figure that sexual predators could use the information to kidnap a child driving school to school which I guess could be true.

Not at all - my sons play basketball for their school - each week we play 2 or 3 games against other schools - having a school POI is really useful in this case.

Really i don't think sexual predators are driving around using TomTom Navigators looking for schools.....If anyone wants to find a school all you to do is google it. My wife's Nisan factory navigation has school POI's.

Vandergraff, i'm not sure if TT support ever got back to you, but if you want I can send you via email the 'Schools' POI file I downloaded two weeks ago when it was still available from tomtom via Home 2. You would just need to drop the file into your 'North_America_2GB' folder and you should then have this category. The total size of the compressed folder that would be emailed is 2.39MB. Let me know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by brownie62798

Using TT's reasoning, Playing Fields, Movie Theaters, Beaches, Amusement Parks, Swimming Pools, Ice Skating Rings, Baskin Robins, and Zoo's will soon be a thing of the past as a POI catagory.

I use the Schools POI to alert me that I'm near a school, which lets me know to be more alert for children running around. I can't see removing the poi really more safe for the children as you can google most schools now. Hell, even the schools themselves keep their addresses on their sites.

--Phil

Vandergraff, i'm not sure if TT support ever got back to you, but if you want I can send you via email the 'Schools' POI file I downloaded two weeks ago when it was still available from tomtom via Home 2. You would just need to drop the file into your 'North_America_2GB' folder and you should then have this category. The total size of the compressed folder that would be emailed is 2.39MB. Let me know.

TomTom technical support are now confirming that the School POI are indeed not included in the 710 version of the Map for the 720. Strangely both the XL-S and 920 do have School POI in this version. So yes if you could send me the school POI that would be great.

I will send you a PM with my contact info.

Thanks

Ask a Question