920 Remote Battery Install

TomTom Model(s)
TT910/TT920t
Sorry for the post in the 720 even though i have a 920 but This is the logical place to put this untila 920 forum is made... Anyways.... I just received a 920t and I cannot get the remote open to install the batteries. ( I know, i feel like an idiot, i cant install batteries.) i called tech and they told me that i need to stick a knife or something small to pry it open. I tried and nothing. I dont want to break it and have to get a new one. Does anyone have an idea on how to open this remote?

Yeah the remote is really hard to open. I had a lot of trouble opening it myself.

The trick is to push in the silver tab using a knife to anchor it in, and then push down. Here is some pictures of how it looks like opened:

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

Thanks, took some time but i finally got it. what a pain in the butt. They need better tutorials for some of the stuff that comes with the unit itself

I spent 30 minutes on hold with tech this morning and then another 10 or so to get the remote apart. Finally did it.

Push the silver push tab toward the arrow until the gap closes.
Then with the tab still pushed, push it down as if you are trying to push through the remote and push the face off. That's really what you are trying to do. The face should pop off.

I used a the blunt part of a kitchen knife to push in on the button while holding the remote on its side, and it popped right off.

Had the same problem. Brought it into Best Buy who could not open it. Trick also is to turn it upside down, hold the sides, and push the tab through to make the 'top' fall off. Badly explained - makes me wonder.

Thanks, I'll try it. Got pretty grumpy with it this morning. Now I'm grumpy because it won't talk to my computer (claims HOME is the wrong version, but HOME says it doesn't need to update). Now it sees my phone but won't connect, and I can't access their web site or get them on the phone.
So sad.

To open the remote.
1- Use a blunt knife and push tab in the direction of the arrow (forward)
2- Push halfway or so, not all the way, THEN push UP, so as to pop out the faceplate.

Its easier than you think!

Wish I had seen this before... after about 2 hours of fiddling with the dang thing I actually peeled the rubber buttons pad off, unscrewed the circuit board, cut away the battery divider, installed the batteries, secured with electrical tape, screwed the circuit board back on and replaced the rubber button pad. Works like a charm.

Opened Remote in 5 Seconds

I don't understand everyone's issue with opening the remote. I took it out of the box, looked at the mechanism. I took a pair of fingernail clippers, used the non-cutting end. I held the remote face down in my hand and pushed the fingernail clipper into the remote's latch and it popped right open. No worries.

Ask a Question