Problem Pairing Go510 and AT&T 8525 Bluetooth

TomTom Model(s)
Go 510
I'm pulling my hair out trying to get these two units to pair using Bluetooth. I've updated the Go510 ($199 "road-tested" unit from Buy.com) via TomTom Home and used several versions of WM6 on my 8525, including the official AT&T ROM. Discovery is ok, but I enter the 0000 passkey and the units just refuse to pair. I have paired the Go510 with a Treo 650, though it took several attempts before it would "take." I thought I read a post somewhere that said the 8525 could be paired with the Go510, but maybe they were using the original WM5 ROM from Cingular. Is there a patch for either device that would make pairing work? I've searched high and low with no answers found, so I appeal to the experts on this forum :confused:

I really want to use the hands-free, since many areas forbid non-hands-free cell phone use these days (for good reason!).

Thanks for any help!

UPDATE: After spending several days trying everything, including updating and rolling back firmware in both the 510 and my phone, without success, I happened to be in Circuit City last night looking for laptop memory and saw a functional GPS display with both 510 and 910 units powered up and working inside the store. I tried to pair my 8525 with both and they both worked instantly with no issues. They both reported hands-free and data capability. I actually made a test call with the 510 and it worked perfectly. Checked its firmware and it was older than my 510's, but rolling back to it on my 510 made no difference. So I called TomTom support and spoke with a nice lady named April. She took my information, opened a ticket, but though I could answer all her questions about what I had done, she would not authorize return or replacement of my unit, since I did not have it with me to actually perform the checks I had already done. She also mentioned a "phone database" update apparently available through TomTom Home, which would add the 8525 to the database in the 510. I checked for updates as soon as I first got the device, but never saw a phone database update. Fortunately, I backed up the unit upon first power-up and after every change I had made to it, so I can revert to any given configuration, including as fresh out of the box. But my 510 (a Buy.com refurb) has never properly paired with my phone. Yet my phone easily paired with both a 510 and a 910 in Circuit City last night. My conclusion is that my 510 has a Bluetooth hardware defect. Hopefully, after I call support back with the device in hand, TomTom will agree and do something to get me working with hands-free, which is the only reason I opted for the 510 instead of a ONE XL. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
I successfully did pair my 8525 with my 910.
In your 8625 Bluetooth settings, make sure you have "make this device visible to other devices" checked. Under the security tab, check the pass key and enter 0000.
Good luck.

I successfully did pair my 8525 with my 910.
In your 8625 Bluetooth settings, make sure you have "make this device visible to other devices" checked. Under the security tab, check the pass key and enter 0000.
Good luck.

Thanks for the tips, Pedro. But of course, I had been doing that all along. I still think there is a problem with my 510, probably hardware, but it could be software or configuration, I suppose. I'll wait to see what support has me do when I have the device in my hand.

Go 510 and 8525 now pairing perfectly!

Try the Flash Tool located at www.tomtom.com/support

Thanks, Pedro. I looked at the Flash Tool you referred me to and was going to ask why you thought it would help. Instead, I just ran it and reloaded the software onto the 510 and, ouila!, now everything is working fine. Pairing phone and data came right up this time. Not sure why it worked now, considering everything I had tried over the weekend. But the Bluetooth is now working fine. :)

Thanks again. Now I can close the TomTom support ticket.

Yes, the FLASH TOOL is the cure to about 99% of the BT issues new users are having. Alot of new purchases have been made via woot.com and buy.com refurbs. And I'm finding that most ohave this issue and need the flash tool to fix the problem. It drove me nuts for about a week before I found out about it. And it cured all that ailed my 510's BT issues. Along with many other people's issues!

I am going nuts. I cannot get my refurb 510 to connect to either the bluetooth on my PC (though the PC apparently sees it) or to my Cardo Bluetooth Adapter II. The 510 just does not seem to see anything.

I used the flash tool before to cure the activation issue. I have tried it a few times to try to fix this pairing issue now without success.

Help my insanity!

I believe earbuckle has paired it for data.
I also believe he said that when it switches to data, the handsfree switches off.

Bluetooth/PLUS on Go 510 using Cingular 8525

I believe earbuckle has paired it for data.
I also believe he said that when it switches to data, the handsfree switches off.

Well Pedro, sometimes it does, but sometimes it maintains the hands-free connection. Theoretically, the Cingular 8525 can support 6 simultaneous Bluetooth connections, but I think it has to do with what network you are currently connected to. On GPRS, it definitely drops the hands-free. You can tell because the handset symbol is displayed with a yellow question mark over it. On EDGE or 3G, it seems to maintain the hands-free (no question mark). After accessing a PLUS service, it will usually automatically connect back for hands-free service if it did drop that connection.

The PLUS services are a nice bonus. The Weather works very well, with a 5-day forecast available for every destination I've tried. I activated the Traffic trial and that was also pretty cool, for the first two weeks. Traffic problems are neatly displayed along the right edge of the screen. However, for the past week, the Traffic connection has not shown any "jams," which seems unlikely here in the NYC metro area. I still get the green dot indicating successful update of Traffic data, but now no jams are shown. Maybe my "trial" was somewhat less than 30 days. I was going to sign up for $24.95, but now I am concerned I won't actually get any data. I may do it anyway, and hassle with support if it doesn't start working again.

The disappointing thing about the Go 510 is that is has very strange ideas of fastest routes versus shortest routes. Some of the "fastest" routes are definitely NOT. And, for some reason, route calculations for shortest routes usually hang up with a route planning error message, so I can't really use the shortest route method. Haven't figured out why this happens, but maybe it will be fixed when/if v7 of the firmware is released for the Go 510. The routing is very strange compared to my Magellan 300 and my Acura in-car nav, which usually agree pretty well on routes (they both use NavTeq maps as opposed to the TeleAtlas map in the TomTom). Maybe the TeleAtlas map has different roadway data, such as average speed or number of travel lanes, for the roads I travel on. That might explain some of the routing quirks.

Still, even with the wrinkles noted above, the device will eventually get you to your destination. And my battery life has been quite good; generally well over 4 hours. Once when I ran the battery all the way down, I had to do a "pin" reset to get the unit to restart, but otherwise I've not had to reboot it.

I have migrated from the 1GB SD card to a PNY 2GB SD card ($19 on clearance at Staples). So I should be ready for v7 and maybe the larger US Map in the future.

My only hardware nit is that the AC power supply plug detaches too easily from the home dock. It seems like it should have a tighter fit. If I don't touch anything, it does stay in and charge the unit properly.

Still generally satisifed with the Go 510 refurb, especially for the price.

Ask a Question