How to Install Custom POI's to your TomTom Device

TomTom Model(s)
ONE v2
How to Install Custom POI's to your TomTom Device

Download any custom POI you want in the POI Forum found here. The files will be in a *.zip filetype so you need a program to 'unzip' it.

WINDOW USERS: Windows XP users has a built-in ziping/unzipping program in the OS. You can follow these instructions to unzip files. Lower versions of Windows i.e. 2000/98 can download WinRAR or WinZip both of which have free trials.

MAC USERS: The equivalent programs for ziping/unzipping is Stuffit Expander and Zipeg which, as of this writing, are both free utilities.

In this example I will be using the Windows program WinRAR and the Toronto Red Light Camera POI. (credit goes to Pedro2NR & (COP)Sli for the accurate POI)

------------

1. Download the POI to your desktop

desktopfile.jpg

2. Right-click the file and select - Extract to Toronto, Ontario\

extractingdesktop.jpg

3. This will create a folder on your desktop like so:

extractedfolder.jpg

4. Open the folder and you will see two files a *.bmp and *.ov2.

Notice that the two files have the exact same name. It is important to have the *.bmp to match the *.ov2 file in order for the picture to correctly show beside the POI when browsing through the categories.

extractedfiles.jpg

5. Connect your TT device to your computer and copy the two files in your map directory. In my case I have the North American maps, so I browse to my North_America folder and paste it in there like so:

copyfiles.jpg

6. You can either disconnect the device from the computer or open Virtual TomTom. Now when you browse through the POI categories and the custom POI should show up among the list like so:

poicategory.jpg

7. Pat yourself on the back, you successfully installed a custom POI :D Now, if you want, you can install custom POI alerts.

Troubleshooting FAQ

Troubleshooting FAQ

Q1. I did what you wrote but it’s still not showing up in my list. What gives?

A1. Please make sure that you copy the *.ov2 file in your map directory. If you are using the USA/Canada maps copy the files in the USA_and_Canada folder. If you are using the Guam maps, you need to copy the files to the Guam folder etc. etc.

----------------

Q2. When I browse through the categories, there is a red square beside the POI

redsquare.jpg

A2. There are two things to look for. The first thing is to make sure the *.bmp filename matches the *.ov2 filename EXACTLY. If the filenames don’t match, you will get the red square beside the custom POI.

The other thing to look for is the size of the file. The only sizes that work are 22x22 or 24x24 (Well, I didn't test other file sizes but just stick to what works :))

----------------

Q3. The file that I downloaded doesn’t have a *.bmp file. Do I need it?

A3. No. The *.bmp file is just a picture to display beside the POI category. The custom POI will function properly without it. You can create your own if you want but thats beyond the scope of this walkthrough.

There are however, many threads that have icons you can use which are linked below (possible duplicates):

Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4

----------------

Q4. I don’t like the name it display in the POI category, can I change it i.e. Toronto Red Light Camera? How?

A4. Yes you can. Just change the name of the *.ov2 to whatever you want and that’s the name it will display in the POI category list. Remember to change the *.bmp as well or else you will have a red square beside the name.

----------------

Q5. The last screen shot that shows the POI categories, you don’t have a keyboard taking up half the screen. How did you do that?

A5. I used Virtual TomTom :D

Awesome!
I haven't been reading the forums lately. I just came across this after I mentioned in another post that I would make one for both North America map folder and US_and_Canada.

Good Job Digital!

Yes I have that ,just missing the shell nearest my home which isn't on the list so now I have to learn how to create a POI to insert into that category. Should be fun and time consumingbut then again I know where it's at. Thanks.

Yes I have that ,just missing the shell nearest my home which isn't on the list so now I have to learn how to create a POI to insert into that category. Should be fun and time consumingbut then again I know where it's at. Thanks.

Nope, its pretty easy. You can add it simply by going through Main Menu>Change Preferences>Manage POI>Add POI>Select the custom Shell POI>and then enter the location via address/long&lat/point on a map etc.

Is there many sites missing near your area? or was it just that one location?
If you let me know your location, I can pull up a search and revise the current shell POI to include your location.

Is there many sites missing near your area? or was it just that one location?
If you let me know your location, I can pull up a search and revise the current shell POI to include your location.

Just the one that I know about Lady's Island Shell 96 Sea Island Parkway,Beaufort.SC 29907.

Ask a Question