TomTom GO 720 Photos

I just got back from my trip to New York for a visit with TomTom at their call center in Watertown. I hope to post more later but for now here are some photos of the new GO 720 that we got to play with along with some specs on the unit:

-Slim form factor, even slimmer than the ONE

-New version 7 software has a new look with some nice new features including MapShare which looks to be a very useful new technology from TomTom allowing users to report map errors right thru their device, in most cases being reflected immediately on their TomTom.

-100's of new branded POI icons.

-Reported 5 hr battery life

-4.3" flat screen

-Bluetooth/Handsfree

-RDS-TMC ready

-Built in FM trasmitter

-MP3 Player

-Text-to-speech

-Adhesive mounting disc for those of us with lawas against windshield mounts

-"Help Me" saftey features

-Car icons (pre loaded and custom)

-Record your own voice!

Price tag expected to be about $499.95 with a probable release date of early August.

Also with the new version 7 software out on this device, it I would think it would be safe to assume that we will all get updates to our devices by the end of the year allowing us all to participate in MapShare.

Ok here are the pictures I snapped while playing with the device. I should be getting a unit to use within the next few weeks (crosses fingers) so I will post a more in-depth review once that happens.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg
10.jpg

Those pics look awesome.

The whole idea of map share is a great idea, but the power is in the community. I hope we can get the map share soon as there are some corrections I like to make :D

thanks Jason for sharing.
Glad to see TomTom listening to customers. I noticed the status bar can be switched to the side!
I also like the help me feature. This is a big step to helping customers wth gps situations.

Jason:

Did you get any sense if or when speech recognition would be available in the North American version of the 720? That would be a major motivator for me to purchase it after it's released.

Thanks!

I also like the help me feature.

Besides the obvious Map Share feature, I think that is my favorite improvement. I'm surprised other devices didn't come with this earlier.

So it definitely has Text-to-Speech? I know there have been some questions about this. Either way the 720 has enough features that will make it a pretty popular device. I think it's a great move for TomTom.

I agree, I'm now glad I didn't fold and buy a ONE XL. This 720 is what I've been waiting for! (Until the next latest and greatest comes out... LOL)

This could be the best looking Wide screen GPS in the U.S. (maybe until Navigon 7100)

Only thing keep me away from buying "portable" tomtom is its battery capacity.
Do you happen to know the spec of its battery?
________
Web shows

Last edited:
This could be the best looking Wide screen GPS in the U.S. (maybe until Navigon 7100)

Only thing keep me away from buying "portable" tomtom is its battery capacity.
Do you happen to know the spec of its battery?

From the press release:

Lithium-polymer battery (5 hours operation)

This the best performance battery out of the TT units.

That might be a good question to ask Tim at GPSreview.net...he had a few hours with a prerelease version of the 720 and may recall the deal with POIs/addresses.

Ask a Question