poi.dat

OK, so in theory even though there are more POIs in the new maps (v665) and most ONE users are going out and getting 2GB SD Cards to load the NA map with the 'latest and greatest' POIs a lot of users are saying there is a lot of things missing from the new poi.dat file.

Old map- USA_Canada v650 poi.dat file = 58MB
New map- NA v665 poi.dat file = 175MB

I've renamed my new map poi.dat to poi1.dat and installed old map poi.dat - plenty of room left on my card.

I'll use one dat file on the way to work (I'm an hour away now) and the other on the way home. With ALL POIs enabled. I'll let you know what I see in the 40 miles...

Any takers to help me with this in other parts of the continent?

You can find the old poi.dat file if you backed up your TomTom before the map upgrade.

The default location would be something like this:

C:\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backups\GO\BackupXX\Storage\USA_and_Canada\

where XX coresponds to the number backup. Mine is '01' meaning it is my very first back up. The file size of the old poi.dat is 58MB, so make sure you have the right file.

I would upload mine but I'm not sure what information it contains with respect to where I live. I don't want surprise visitors LOL

NB: Even though I have a ONE v2, I really don't know why my backup is in the GO folder. I guess they didn't want to change the old file structure.

Not 100% sure it's legal to edit or extract the POI.dat file, but I was thinking... if you own a TT Device, you have a license for the file. What you do with it is your business as long as you don't share the edited file... right?

So... as I can't share with you what I have done (the file that is, how I did it I can)

A how-to has already been (sorta) written.... in French loosely translated to other languages.

http://www.krakkato.com/content/view/40/78/

I'm interested in your results. Please let us know. I'm getting ready to do my map update right now. If I can get off this forum. I think I need TTF anonymous!
:D

Ask a Question