error download QuickGPSFix

TomTom Model(s)
One LE
Hi,

I got my cell phone paired with my TomTom--every other free TomTom PLUS service feature works like Weather and etc. But when I attempt to download the QuickGPSFix I get a red screen with an Error message on my TomTom One LE. click here to read my Cell Phone connection and Carrier settings.

I used to be able to download the QuickGPSFix months ago without an issue. But it has been now several days now that I can't download it, the only way to do this if I connect my TomTom to Home--but I need a PC for that, and I am usually doing this when I am on the road driving or planning on being in a different state or far-away city.

Anyone have a troubleshoot plan for this?

Yeah.......don't worry about it. You'll likely do fine without the new quickfix file. In fact, there are many who don't bother ever accepting them and the users are just fine with their units.

I appreciate your quick reply. Thank you.

On the contrary, I found myself once needing the update as the streets on the GPS map and my exact location weren't in sync. I was being dislocated a few blocks too early. So when I launched the QuickGPSFix, it helped me sync my TomTom GPS with my exact location. Ever since then, I try to sync my GPS to TomTom Home to download the latest QuickGPSFix, but there are weeks where I use my GPS without a PC nearby.

My question is how I can fix this strange issue where I get an error when trying to download the QuickGPSFix with my GPRS-enabled mobile phone? It used to work great before, but it's been a few days, since I can't make the connection--even though the rest of the PLUS services work (i.e. Weather, Download POIs, Download voice, and etc.)

And also to learn if everyone out there is having this strange problem also? Or at least recently?

I just tried a few times early today, and when I connected my TomTom to Home, there was a new QuickGPSFix to download. Weird?

I am to believe that the QuickGPSFix is something everyone needs to download on a regular basis, so your TomTom knows the exact positions where the heavenly satellites will be in the next couple of days--since our position (Earth) and their positions (orbiting in space) keep changing.

Read below for more details on QuickGPSFix and it's purpose:

Question
What is QuickGPSfix and how does it work?

Answer
As each GPS satellite only broadcasts a signal every 30 seconds, it can take some time for your TomTom to work out where you are. And if anything gets in the way of the signal, like a tall building, the signal will be weak.

Using QuickGPSfix, your TomTom downloads information about where the GPS satellites will be for the next 7 days. Your TomTom can then calculate where you are very quickly and with only a weak GPS signal.

You can download QuickGPSfix through:

• TomTom HOME
  • TomTom HD Traffic Receiver
  • Bluetooth connection with a GPRS-enabled mobile phone

TomTom HOME
  1. Connect your device to your computer.
  2. In TomTom HOME, click Update my device.
    If the QuickGPSfix data on your device is outdated, HOME offers a QuickGPSfix update.

TomTom HD Traffic Receiver
If you own a TomTom HD Traffic Receiver or a TomTom device that has a built-in GPRS modem, you can update QuickGPSfix while on the road.

1. From the Main Menu on your TomTom device tap TomTom Services.
  2. Tap Download QuickGPSfix.

To check which devices are compatible with the TomTom HD Traffic Receiver or have a GPRS modem built-in, click here: www.tomtom.com/9603.

Bluetooth connection with a GPRS-enabled mobile phone

Alternatively, some devices can download QuickGPSfix through a Bluetooth connection with a mobile phone.

1. From the Main Menu on your TomTom device tap TomTom Services.
  2. Tap Download QuickGPSfix.

To check which phones are compatible with your TomTom device, click here:
www.tomtom.com/phones/compatibility.

Rick, thanks for that informative thread. Was very helpful in understanding how QuickGPSFix works. Especially another link they provided there really opened my eyes on the subject: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/howgpsworks.php

I'd still like to know if everyone is having any issues downloading the QuickGPSFix from their cell phones bluetooth abilities? That is the main reason why I started that thread. To learn if I am the "only one" with the error with the connection/download or if others are also experiencing this, and if anyone suggests or knows a solution to that issue.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Jeff,

Yes, that link is very useful. I've read it before and shared it with some family members.

Sorry, but I don't use a cell phone to update GPSfix's. But I often update directly without using HOME. Don't see how this would help you with a blued tooth cell phone, but there are links for direct download. Depends on what version chipset you have on your TomTom on what file you need...

If it's "lto.dat" you need, you can get it here:
http://home.tomtom.com/download/Ephemeris.cab?type=ephemeris&eeProvider=globalLocate&devicecode=AKWAQBAAQZ

If it's "packedephemeris.ee" file you need, get it here:
http://home.tomtom.com/download/Ephemeris.cab?type=ephemeris&eeProvider=SiRFStarIII&devicecode=2

Just copy the one file to your ephem directory. The date will be messed up, but just ignore that.

I usually get it from my computer, but this morning I was loosing signal, which rarely happens. I tried to pull QuickGPSFix OTA with my celly and I got an error as well.

I've been getting errors with EVERY service today, with a phone pairing that worked within the past few days, and hasn't been changed. I reset my TomTom - no change. Restarted my cell phone - no change. Reset my TomTom again - no change. However, if I Operate my Go, and look at Traffic that way, I can get the traffic data - so apparently the servers are fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting these problems? As I see it, there are too many links in the chain - some beyond my control - and too much unknown information to really be able to have any success with troubleshooting. Such as... are the servers up and running? Can my TT talk to ANYTHING on the web? Is my TT successfully "talking" with my phone? These dumbed-down error messages are killing me - "there's something wrong, check your phone".

I have Tomtom Navigator 6 loaded to my phone Samsung SGH-I900 (Omnia) and it works well but I am having the same issue downloading the QuickGPSfix file to the device.

It would be good if there was a manual method of getting the file and loading it to a specific directory on the phone.

I know this thread is a few months old, but it is of interest to me. My TT Rider2 has never ever recieved a QuickGPSFix since new. I have been in contact with support, and I havnt had any luck with that either. My device was missing the "ephem" folder, so one was established with the hopes that would cure the issue. No such luck.

I see that there are 2 versions of the ephem file, depending on your chipset.

How do you determine what chipset is on your device?

Cheers

rcas,

According to this link...

http://74.125.45.104/search?q=cache...ml+TT+Rider2+chipset&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

...your rider has the "SiRF Star III" chipset (look in front of the highlighted word chipset). If so, that means you should need the "packedephemeris.ee" file. Use the link above to get that file.
Or here: http://home.tomtom.com/download/Ephemeris.cab?type=ephemeris&eeProvider=SiRFStarIII&devicecode=2

Once you have the cabinet folder downloaded to your desktop (it's pretty small), open it then copy the 'packedephemeris.ee' file to the ephem folder.

Hope this works for you.

Last edited:
I know this thread is a few months old, but it is of interest to me. My TT Rider2 has never ever recieved a QuickGPSFix since new. I have been in contact with support, and I havnt had any luck with that either. My device was missing the "ephem" folder, so one was established with the hopes that would cure the issue. No such luck.

I see that there are 2 versions of the ephem file, depending on your chipset.

How do you determine what chipset is on your device?

Cheers

I have found it difficult to determine the gps chipset in TT devices without opening it up if you don't have already downoaded a QuickFix. That is particularly true because vendor places don't always tell the truth when they list the specifications of a model. AFAIK, there are only two possible chipsets for the gps: SirfStar and Hammerhead. Hammerhead is mostly used in ONE models and the SirfStar in the GO models. If I were to bet on your chipset, I'd choose the SirfStar and download the packedephemeris.ee file:
http://home.tomtom.com/download/Eph...s&eeProvider=SiRFStarIII&devicecode=2
You will need to extract the .cab file into the ?ephem? folder and then get your gps lock faster.

Thanks for the great info.

How do I "extract" the file?

Cant I just copy it into the ephem folder?

ps: my device never had that ephem folder and TT support had me create one on my device in the hopes it would then seek out the download for QuickFix.

Cheers

ps: my device never had that ephem folder and TT support had me create one on my device in the hopes it would then seek out the download for QuickFix.

Cheers

Have you tried following my Answer to FAQ Q17 on my FAQ page?

>>> TomTom FAQs <<<

Thanks Birdman. I tried your suggestions and found some problems.

1. My device didnt have an ephem folder
2. There was no ephemeris folder
3. The link to TT's website for the reset doesnt work (but I know how to do it).

After completing your instructions, it still doesnt get any updates.

Does the QuickGPSFix use the same server as MapShare?....because that isnt working either.

Cheers

Last edited:

Cheers

Yes, you can just copy the file to your ephem folder (which you already created). You only need that one file (packedephemeris.ee) - which is around 50K to 60K. The text file is not needed.

Thanks Birdman. I tried your suggestions and found some problems.

1. My device didnt have an ephem folder
2. There was no ephemeris folder
3. The link to TT's website for the reset doesnt work (but I know how to do it).

After completing your instructions, it still doesnt get any updates.

Does the QuickGPSFix use the same server as MapShare?....because that isnt working either.

Cheers

For giggles, try something for me.

1) On your TomTom, create a folder named /ephem (all lowercase letters)

2) Download the following three files and place them in the /ephem folder you just created on your TomTom:
>>> ee_meta.tlv <<<
>>> ee_meta.txt <<<
>>> lto.dat <<<

3) Once downloaded and installed, disconnect your TomTom from your PC

4) Start TomTOm HOME with your TomTom NOT connected

5) After HOME starts, plug in your TomTom

6) HOME should recognize your TomTom and look for updates automatically....it should complete with the GPSQuickFix data as an option to download

If HOME doesn't automatically look for updates, simply click the UPDATE MY (GO, RIDER, ONE) inside TomTom HOME and that'll force the issue.

Let me know if this works out.

Tried that, no luck.

It did however download new MapShares, but somehow it appears I lost about 6,000 items....

When doing a reset, I can see that the device does use the SiRF Star III chipset.

So I tried again, recreating a ephem folder (on the device) and placing the ephemeris (.cab) file into it, doing another reset, but still no such luck.

Another update and I got all my MapShares back.

Very odd eh?

Last edited:
I believe you place the files FROM the ephem.cab file into the folder, not the .cab file itself. Or, is that what you meant?

I believe you place the files FROM the ephem.cab file into the folder, not the .cab file itself. Or, is that what you meant?

Yes, dhn is correct. You only need the file - not the cabinet. Once you've downloaded the cab folder to your desktop, double click on it to open. Then 'right-click' on the file "packedephemeris.ee" then click 'copy'. Then using what ever file manager you want, paste it into the ephem folder on your Rider.

Ask a Question