The MapShare Rub

TomTom Model(s)
TTOne v2 (2GB SD) map 6.65 7.161
I knew that I read somewhere that in order to continue to get mapshare, you need to renew each year.

Additionally, it makes it sound like you only get mapshare updates AFTER they are verified --- in other words, we've seen how marvelously teleatlas verifies maps -- the 6.5 to 6.65, etc with missing roads and all.

nonetheless, the website says:
1 For each map, we generate and update a database of map corrections for up to one year. After one year, this database will no longer be updated with new map corrections, but can still be downloaded by anyone using that map version. In order to continue receiving new map corrections you will be asked to purchase a new map version which already contains the corrections reported by you and other users previously, as well as the changes made by the map provider.​

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=7398&Lid=4

First, it makes me a little irate that they dinged me for a map just earlier this year, but then don't let it work with mapshare for the six months remaining.

I sure hope that TomTom is planning some sort of sweet deal to get us to opt into the new pricing structure/"feature" they are unrolling with the so-called mapshare.

For basically guaranteeing annual income from each of us, you'd figure they at least make it a sweet price because the volume of income sources will be higher.

I knew that I read somewhere that in order to continue to get mapshare, you need to renew each year.

Additionally, it makes it sound like you only get mapshare updates AFTER they are verified --- in other words, we've seen how marvelously teleatlas verifies maps -- the 6.5 to 6.65, etc with missing roads and all.

nonetheless, the website says:
1 For each map, we generate and update a database of map corrections for up to one year. After one year, this database will no longer be updated with new map corrections, but can still be downloaded by anyone using that map version. In order to continue receiving new map corrections you will be asked to purchase a new map version which already contains the corrections reported by you and other users previously, as well as the changes made by the map provider.​

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=7398&Lid=4

First, it makes me a little irate that they dinged me for a map just earlier this year, but then don't let it work with mapshare for the six months remaining.

I sure hope that TomTom is planning some sort of sweet deal to get us to opt into the new pricing structure/"feature" they are unrolling with the so-called mapshare.

For basically guaranteeing annual income from each of us, you'd figure they at least make it a sweet price because the volume of income sources will be higher.

From what I've read you can continue to make updates to your maps after your version is no longer supported. You simply cannot share them with others or get the ones others sent in. To me it's a good thing they limit updates to only current maps. New maps may already contain the updates you are trying to fix. You also have the choice to get all Mapshare updates or only those verified by TomTom.

Ask a Question