Instructions for setting up Traffic with your Verizon Wireless phone

TomTom Model(s)
510 software 6.52
These are instructions are specific for the Motorola Q, but will work for other Verizon phones, you simply have to select the correct model phone.

1. Make sure your phone has bluetooth, internet service, and supports DUN (dial-up-networking)
  2. Turn bluetooth settings on your phone on, and make phone discoverable
  3. On TT, go to menu and select "Tom Tom Traffic"
  4. It will ask you to set up wireless data connection, select yes.
  5. Next, before setting up wireless data connection, follow the prompts to set up the bluetooth link between your phone and your TT. Starting here, lasting through the entire process, keep an eye on your phone as it will prompt you for a password (0000). It will prompt you to do so multiple times, if you fail to do so within a minute or so, the set-up attempt will fail, and you'll have to start over.
  6. After that is complete, it will attempt to set up the wireless data connection automatically and fail, prompting you to choose to set it up manually.
  7. For the Q, choose "HP:IPAQ hw6515m" as the phone (This phone and the Q's hardware are similar, so it will work since the Q technically isn't supported)
  8. Choose "Verizon Wireless (QNC)" as the service
  9. Access Point name: (leave blank)
  10. Logon Script: (leave blank)
  11. Username: mobile#@vzw3g.com (mobile# is your cell phone #)
  12. Password: vzw
  13. Dialup #: #777
  14. DHCP: "auto"
  15. DNS: "auto"

If this doesn't work, turn off both devices, then try again. Took me a couple times to establish link.

Also, in the "dial-up#" field, TT places a default *99 there. Delete the *99 and simply place #777 there.

Again, with Verizon, you not only need the $49.95 data plan (u can get a limited data plan for less, but I wouldn't risk it as you will get charged an arm and a leg if you go over your limit) , but you also need the $15 wireless data (DUN) plan called Broadband Connect (or Access). If they rep still doesn't understand (good chance they won't...lol), tell them "It's the $15 plan that lets me use my phone as a modem."

UPDATE. It seems that the HP:IPAQ hw6515m isn't listed on newer firmware/newer TT's, so just select other. If at the next step after selecting your country, Verizon doesn't show, just select "other".

Last edited:
Well, some progress, some continuing frustration with the Treo 700w. With the correct username (Verizon had given me the wrong one) and just using #777, after a couple of tries I got the service to connect:) :) :) Thanks Skizza for that! TT brought up a couple of screens saying they wanted some tech info passed back to them etc... and all looked good.

Oddly, on the next connection there was a very strange username and some password already filled out but trying to connect with that led to a wireless connection error on the TT.

I then tried connecting with my original username (cell#@vzw3g.com) and password (vzw) from the original post, but the same "no wireless connection" error:mad: :mad: :mad: So now eveytime I try and connect to weather, traffic or Plus updates, it immediately starts the "connecting to wireless network" process and errors out.

So close, but so very far.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Last edited:
Well, some progress, some continuing frustration with the Treo 700w. With the correct username (Verizon had given me the wrong one) and just using #777, after a couple of tries I got the service to connect:) :) :) Thanks Skizza for that! TT brought up a couple of screens saying they wanted some tech info passed back to them etc... and all looked good.

Oddly, on the next connection there was a very strange username and some password already filled out but trying to connect with that led to a wireless connection error on the TT.

I then tried connecting with my original username (cell#@vzw3g.com) and password (vzw) from the original post, but the same "no wireless connection" error:mad: :mad: :mad: So now eveytime I try and connect to weather, traffic or Plus updates, it immediately starts the "connecting to wireless network" process and errors out.

So close, but so very far.

Any thoughts? Thanks

I'm assuming that you are paying verizon the extra $15 for DUN, or Broadband connect/access?

Here are links to a few Treo forums. Join them, search for BT DUN, or tethering, then ask questions in those threads and I'm sure you'll find a solution. When you do, post the instructions here!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76
http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=897422
http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/treo-700w-700wx/63296-treo-700w-bluetooth-devices-support.html

Lastly, if someone refers you to PDAnet, which is a nice app, let them know it doesn't work with TT.

This may help

I'm assuming that you are paying verizon the extra $15 for DUN, or Broadband connect/access?

Yes, I'm sure that I am (broadband connect) although it's whatever I had in my original internet/data access plan, not something I just did for TT purposes.

Yes, I'm sure that I am (broadband connect) although it's whatever I had in my original internet/data access plan, not something I just did for TT purposes.

Thats one problem there. With Verizon, not only do u need your "original" data plan, but u also need an additional $15 per month plan that allows you to use you data via other devices (i.e TT, laptop, etc). call verizon and tell them you want to use your phone as a modem, and they'll sign u up for that additional $15 plan.

Thats one problem there. With Verizon, not only do u need your "original" data plan, but u also need an additional $15 per month plan that allows you to use you data via other devices (i.e TT, laptop, etc). call verizon and tell them you want to use your phone as a modem, and they'll sign u up for that additional $15 plan.

I called Verizon to sign up for the $15/month data plan and was told that was not a problem. Later today, I picked up a voicemail from the friendly Verizon customer service agent alerting me to the fact that the 700w is not "allowed" to use that service?!?

I guess the 700w is not capable of "tethering" but the 700wx is. I can use PDAnet to get DUN for the 700w but if i understand it correctly from this forum, PDAnet and TT do not work together... sigh...

Last edited:
I called Verizon to sign up for the $15/month data plan and was told that was not a problem. Later today, I picked up a voicemail from the friendly Verizon customer service agent alerting me to the fact that the 700w is not "allowed" to use that service?!?

I guess the 700w is not capable of "tethering" but the 700wx is. I can use PDAnet to get DUN for the 700w but if i understand it correctly from this forum, PDAnet and TT do not work together... sigh...

Ahh, I forgot about that problem with the 700w. There is a tweak that will allow it to tether, the how-to is in one of those links I posted earlier.

Yes you are correct that PDAnet currently doesn't support TT. I know firsthand as I tried it cuzz i thought is was chickenshit of Verizon to charge an extra $15 to use the data plan I'm already paying for.

Thanks again Skizza. Yes, this whole thing with Verizon is a mess. I guess I should try and wrangle my way up to a wx from my w, but if I can find that hack you mention then I'd be happy enough (and save the extra $15/month).

With all the smartphones coming out it may be time to say goodbye to the Treo anyway. I've gone through the 600 and 650 before the 700w so it may be time for a change...

I don't know if this will help but I have the vx6600 and have not had to pay extra for the tethering. I have EVDO unlimeted, but that's it. Also When I set-up the connection manually I left the username and password fields BLANK and everything seems to work fine

I don't know if this will help but I have the vx6600 and have not had to pay extra for the tethering. I have EVDO unlimeted, but that's it. Also When I set-up the connection manually I left the username and password fields BLANK and everything seems to work fine

Yeah, for some reason, some Verizon non-PDA/Smartphones with net access do tether "out of the box" so to speak. I guess the reason is generally speaking people with "phones" don't use them for business, as least not in the same sense as someone with a PDA/smartphone who will use it to not just to download ringtones and check their email, but to send and receive data(spreadsheets, faxes, etc.), and are more likely to use it to tether to their laptop.

I was directed to this link for a post I made, but Im not sure I see the answer or understand . I have Verizon with the Razr phone. My phone searches and finds my TT but it just wont connect to it. Anyone have a solution or answer to why?

These are instructions are specific for the Motorola Q, but will work for other Verizon phones, you simply have to select the correct model phone.

1. Make sure your phone has bluetooth, internet service, and supports DUN (dial-up-networking)
  2. Turn bluetooth settings on your phone on, and make phone discoverable
  3. On TT, go to menu and select "Tom Tom Traffic"
  4. It will ask you to set up wireless data connection, select yes.
  5. Next, before setting up wireless data connection, follow the prompts to set up the bluetooth link between your phone and your TT. Starting here, lasting through the entire process, keep an eye on your phone as it will prompt you for a password (0000). It will prompt you to do so multiple times, if you fail to do so within a minute or so, the set-up attempt will fail, and you'll have to start over.
  6. After that is complete, it will attempt to set up the wireless data connection automatically and fail, prompting you to choose to set it up manually.
  7. For the Q, choose "HP:IPAQ hw6515m" as the phone (This phone and the Q's hardware are similar, so it will work since the Q technically isn't supported)
  8. Choose "Verizon Wireless (QNC)" as the service
  9. Access Point name: (leave blank)
  10. Logon Script: (leave blank)
  11. Username: mobile#@vzw3g.com (mobile# is your cell phone #)
  12. Password: vzw
  13. Dialup #: #777
  14. DHCP: "auto"
  15. DNS: "auto"

If this doesn't work, turn off both devices, then try again. Took me a couple times to establish link.

Also, in the "dial-up#" field, TT places a default *99 there. I don't remember if I added 777 after that, or deleted the *99 and simply placed #777 so you may have to try both ways.

Again, with Verizon, you not only need the $49.95 data plan (u can get a limited data plan for less, but I wouldn't risk it as you will get charged an arm and a leg if you go over your limit) , but you also need the $15 wireless data (DUN) plan called Broadband Connect (or Access). If they rep still doesn't understand (good chance they won't...lol), tell them "It's the $15 plan that lets me use my phone as a modem."

take out the *99 and replace it with #777. This will also work on the Palm Treo 700WX. However, how can I now get traffic? There does not seem to be a way to purchase at the moment from the TomTom site.

Ask a Question