8.3 Upgrade offered for x20 and x30 units

If you have paid for a map subscription before the upgrade you are, in my opinion, fully justified to demand your money back as you then will not have receicved that for which you have paid.

You should spend your efforts on demanding your money back and I would suggest you do that with phone calls to Support, confirming the details of every call with a written Support question, and demand your case to be escalated to the Sales/Marketing department.

Even though the process took six months (minus the delay between the issue of 810 to 815), that is how I received my free 815 NA map. They did not deliver what was quoted at time of purchase and I made them fullfil the contract.
When I purchased my unit TT home told me that I had the latest map avail. About 60 days after purchased I found out that there was actually a newer map avail within the 30 day period after I bought the device. I emailed support and asked them if I could get the upgrade as it was available in the 30 day window (and TT home continuously told me I had the latest map) and in no uncertain terms they told me no. After several exchanges with customer service, and even after they verified the map WAS avail in the 30 day window they stood their ground and refused the upgrade.

When I purchased my unit TT home told me that I had the latest map avail. About 60 days after purchased I found out that there was actually a newer map avail within the 30 day period after I bought the device. I emailed support and asked them if I could get the upgrade as it was available in the 30 day window (and TT home continuously told me I had the latest map) and in no uncertain terms they told me no. After several exchanges with customer service, and even after they verified the map WAS avail in the 30 day window they stood their ground and refused the upgrade.

What map do you have on your unit? Please don't tell me it's 710 :mad:

I had the same problem with voices on my tom tom go520.
All the voices EXCEPT the computer voices would not work.

I reconnected sat nav to home 2.4 downloaded another voice.
It worked ok ,then for some reason all the voices started to work.:)

Some possible good news with 8.3.

I was not able to get my bluetooth traffic to work when I also had the (new) bluetooth remote active. I was told by support that was the nature of the beast - only one bluetooth device at a time.

Since installing 8.3, I am now able to use the bluetooth remote to open traffic, and update it with the remote. Don't know if one is instantaneously disconnected and reconnected - I don't care - it works.

Also, with now being able to use Plus Services while operating my (virtual) device on Home - the above now works also. And I have not had any stuttering problems so far - even tried Susan which worked - then went back to Kate.

I will stay with 8.3 as a result, and hope they get some of the other glitches fixed eventually.

my apology for waking up this old thread.

I'm one of a few here who keeps on 'deselecting' the 8.3 apps upgrade.
everytime it is offered by the tomtom home.

Reason being,
- my other applications (event-logger and its acompanying applications) does not work with the 8.3.

is there anybody here successfully using event-logger and 8.3?

How legal is this ?

Heck this was the reason I bought 730! so I can Xmit through FM Freq
I was debating through 730 or Garmin 760. If I knew this could be the case with company. I would never gone with Company!
I did the Updates because it was Highly Recomended by Tom Tom and I wanted to keep my device uptodate!
If they have given a warning "This update will Disable FM Xmit for Instruction" I would never done it.
TT kill the feature which I not just paid for it. I paid Xtra for this feautre. There are some less expensive units without this Option.
I think it is open for Class Action Law Suit!
Yes I know this is my First Post!:D

I was debating through 730 or Garmin 760. If I knew this could be the case with company. I would never gone with Company!
I did the Updates because it was Highly Recomended by Tom Tom and I wanted to keep my device uptodate!
If they have given a warning "This update will Disable FM Xmit for Instruction" I would never done it.
TT kill the feature which I not just paid for it. I paid Xtra for this feautre. There are some less expensive units without this Option.
Yes I know this is my First Post!:D

Which is why we advise ALWAYS making an Explorer, not home, backup prior to updating firmare.

Look to this link for instructions in rolling back the firmware to 8.010 and getting the fm transmission back.

my apology for waking up this old thread.

I'm one of a few here who keeps on 'deselecting' the 8.3 apps upgrade.
everytime it is offered by the tomtom home.

Reason being,
- my other applications (event-logger and its acompanying applications) does not work with the 8.3.

is there anybody here successfully using event-logger and 8.3?
There is hope for you yet. Have a look at this.

Click on amacri's post of Nov 30 2008, 23:57 (as of now, 3rd from bottom).

I agree with you, it is very, very bad practice not to have the equivalent of a readme.txt file to explain additions and deletions for new versions of software.
All is not lost as dhn explained. If you did not make a back up of 8.010, call support and ask them to make it available to you, as others have done. This way you can put your device back to a "as purchased" condition.

Since it is that easily put back to the condition that made you buy the unit I would find it very doubtful that you, and others who expressed the same sentiments, would find a Class Action lawyer to take on this case.
But then, that is just my opinion.

Which is why we advise ALWAYS making an Explorer, not home, backup prior to updating firmare.

Look to this link for instructions in rolling back the firmware to 8.010 and getting the fm transmission back.

Actually I did had (HDD crashed) backup
It is not the Question about BACK UP and RESTORE!
It is about steps TT have taken which unpresidential and un accepptable at mulitple level!

Upgrades should not disable features that the device had at the time
of purchase.

Last edited:
8.3 versus 8.010 OS

I just purchased a new GO930T which came with 8.3 loaded on it. I was disappointed when neither Voice Address Input nor FM Output were working; both were grayed out. I undertook a TT tech suport request and am awaiting their response, but saw this thread and (after backing the machine up) downloaded the 8.010 cab file. On restart, both features are alive, well, and working. Thank you for the helpful hints!

I swear it used to work but now I can't run a POI search on anything other than the after-market POIs. OV2's I've added are just fine (e.g. Baskin Robbins, FedEx-Kinkos), but I can't search any of the built-in POIs. The POIs are there, though. I can bring up the category list and see all the Starbucks and McDonalds in the area, I just don't get any search results from "starb" or "mcd"

Anyone else noticed this? I'm downloading a new map per TomTom Support's recommendation but I'm wondering if perhaps there's a strange interaction between TomTom HOME 2.5.1 and GO 920 firmware 8.300.

I swear it used to work but now I can't run a POI search on anything other than the after-market POIs. OV2's I've added are just fine (e.g. Baskin Robbins, FedEx-Kinkos), but I can't search any of the built-in POIs. The POIs are there, though. I can bring up the category list and see all the Starbucks and McDonalds in the area, I just don't get any search results from "starb" or "mcd"

Anyone else noticed this? I'm downloading a new map per TomTom Support's recommendation but I'm wondering if perhaps there's a strange interaction between TomTom HOME 2.5.1 and GO 920 firmware 8.300.

Well, I have f/w 8.3 with map NA 810 on a 720...

Navigate to-->POI-->POI near you-->Search POI-->I type mcd and click 'ok'. I get a listing of a bunch of McDonald's.

That what you're wandering about? (Home's software wouldn't factor into the equation. I just did this with the unit undocked).

I think you are mistaken when you say they disable features.
They have not done anything to change the unit from the way you purchased it.

It is you, who wants the upgrade. They are not forcing you to install it.
And we know, that by going back to 8.010, the functionality as purchased is restored.

By your upgrading you have made the change.
As I noted in another thread, one of my laundry list of complaints to TT yesterday included the really CRAPPY release notes provided in their "6141" page. The only items mentioned are new features intended to benefit the user. No other notes. Certainly no item mentioning deletion of FM output for the directional information.

For truly novice users, a regroup and retreat to 8.010 is not so easy. Their web based release notes said NOTHING about removing functionality (and never do), and their Home application "more info" doesn't either. So connecting to a cradle and doing what all users have been trained to do by Microsoft and others causes a feature to be removed with no notification to the user. That bites.

Yes, Arno, by encouraging their users to keep their units "up to date" via Home, they DID disable a feature without any warning to the consumer whatsoever -- unless you and they think that user posts in non-company forums such as this should serve as their means for notification? Don't think so.

Last edited:
I just purchased a new GO930T which came with 8.3 loaded on it. I was disappointed when neither Voice Address Input nor FM Output were working; both were grayed out. I undertook a TT tech suport request and am awaiting their response, but saw this thread and (after backing the machine up) downloaded the 8.010 cab file. On restart, both features are alive, well, and working. Thank you for the helpful hints!
At least you can be sure yours is a relatively new unit. Not like the other poster who got the 8.002 which was replaced by 8.010 in late May/ early June.

Ask a Question