Map Version 7.20

I think it's a rip off! TomTom should have updates for 10USD max! and they know it! approx the cost of a new updated paper map!

TomTom should definitely do a better job of letting users know exactly what changes have been made, so that their customers can make informed decisions regarding whether a particular update is worthwhile. Garmin, for example, allows you to view the maps online. While this is better than TomTom does, it still provides no information with regard to non-visual data, such as turn restrictions, speed limits, etc.

However, I think it's unreasonable to expect map updates for $10. First TomTom must buy the maps from their map provider, and then manipulate the data for use on their systems. The current price of $100 is far too high, but $10 is unreasonable low.

Am on the verge of getting a TT1 Limited Edition (LE) with the SD card slot and Bluetooth (Best Buy only deal). Sounds like now would be a good time to buy so I can upgrade the map along with the other software.

For those who have a TT1 Limited Edition (LE) and have upgraded to the new maps, how has the process been?

check my st?

Can someone with the new US 720 map check to see if my street is included in the new update?

State: Virginia
City: Chantilly
Street: Lightfoot St

Thanks!

Yep, it's there

I don't know how much of it is supposed to be there, so I'll attach a screenshot.

Attachments

• Lightfoot_Street.jpg
    Lightfoot_Street.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 355
About time. I guess enough of us reported it!
So, volume appears to be a factor to getting changes pushed through. But I wonder, can they distinguish the individual senders?

Say, I send in the same corrections every day for several weeks? Would that have as much weight as if a dozen people sent it in once?

What if I re-re-re-submitted them directly to the TeleAtlas Website, anonymously? http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/mapfeedback/index.php Higher chances, maybe?

There are about 30 map changes pending for my town. IMO, five or so are high priority.

R?

TomTom should definitely do a better job of letting users know exactly what changes have been made, so that their customers can make informed decisions regarding whether a particular update is worthwhile. Garmin, for example, allows you to view the maps online. While this is better than TomTom does, it still provides no information with regard to non-visual data, such as turn restrictions, speed limits, etc.

However, I think it's unreasonable to expect map updates for $10. First TomTom must buy the maps from their map provider, and then manipulate the data for use on their systems. The current price of $100 is far too high, but $10 is unreasonable low.

Dear Micheal tomtom has the map already and like you said tomtom just has to add the additional new roads! ok not 10 but no more than 25 usd !!! atleast let me know where the additions have been made! If I want it or need it I'll buy it!

Expecting customers to buy an update without providing them with any information as to how or why the update is better than what the customer already has is ridiculous.

For my cost argument though, I suspect that TeleAtlas licences maps to TomTom on a per-installed-map basis - treating it like a physical product, where TomTom can only sell a map to me if they make a corresponding purchase from TeleAtlas. I can't imagine that TeleAtlas would sell maps to TomTom for a flat fee and then allow TomTom to sell as many TomTom-modified copies as the see fit.

One thing is for sure though... the cheaper the updates, the more updates they will sell. At the price of $100 each, I can't imagine too many people buying updates more than once every 12-24 months. But the quarterly releases allow customers to purchase reasonably recent maps on their own schedule.

Last edited:
Ok, I guess if nobody knows, I'll have to give them a call. :)

The difference is roughly 40$US... :rolleyes: On top of which it also needs an additional 1,2GB of space which your ONE can't handle with internal memory since it only features 1GB. I'm surprised TT seems to offer that one as everybody has complained about only being offered with what their internal memory has for capacity even though many have SD cards that could accomodate larger or more maps. I'll need to check this out to see if TT Home offers those options for my ONE XL-S.

Yeah, I know 1GB won't hold it -- it would obviously require a 2GB card. :)

I just want to know what the extra data gives more detail in... more POIs? more roads? a few hundred extra voices & startup screens? :)

I got my 720 late last year and have map version 7.10 installed. Instead of paying $100 for a new map, couldn't I just purchase a TT One LE at Best Buy or online (under $200), get the new map for free, and then copy it to my 720? That would leave me with another TT for a friend, relative, to borrow or as a gift. I'm not questioning if this is wrong. I believe it is because each map is licensed for a single unit. I'm just stating the fact that $100 for a map, that is not accurate, is way overpriced when compared to purchasing a new product, with the map included, for little more than the map itself.

I got my 720 late last year and have map version 7.10 installed. Instead of paying $100 for a new map, couldn't I just purchase a TT One LE at Best Buy or online (under $200), get the new map for free, and then copy it to my 720? That would leave me with another TT for a friend, relative, to borrow or as a gift. I'm not questioning if this is wrong. I believe it is because each map is licensed for a single unit. I'm just stating the fact that $100 for a map, that is not accurate, is way overpriced when compared to purchasing a new product, with the map included, for little more than the map itself.

Many questions to answer but here is the bummer: if you copy the map from the new unit to the old, the old unit won't recognize the copied map. If it did, you would probably be disappointed as the new map will not look as nice as the old 720 map, will have far fewer POIs and if you use voice recognition, the ONE map does not contain the needed voice recognition files.

As for the map cost, I tend to agree with you that it is steep. OTOH, you don't really need to update 4 times a year and if you do end up buying a new one, you can always consider your map is quite up-to-date. When you consider most other map providers offer a yearly update, you have the benefit to get the latest much more often. Then I look at my brother in law whose Dodge RAM navigation system gets updated once a year, usually with quite a bit of delay, and it comes at a suggested cost of 289$ and had far less coverage than TT NA map (didn't even have his native village in Gaspesia on the map of this close to 4,000$ entertainment system).

Yeah, I know 1GB won't hold it -- it would obviously require a 2GB card. :)

I just want to know what the extra data gives more detail in... more POIs? more roads? a few hundred extra voices & startup screens? :)

Both maps pretty much contain the same roads. The larger map contains more details of the roads as you browse them and look more like the real road with contours of main city buildings, rivers will look more like it really is with island shapes etc. It also has the needed voice recognition files and much more POIs and more details on each.

With the largest POI files, I can find public libraries listed, vets and more restaurants than I knew existed close by. In the past 3 weeks or so, the only place I did not find in the POIs was the Dollard-des-Ormeaux civic center where there was a dog show. How many POIs are in each version? I don't know and, even if someone had the precise answer, the main point would be did I find what I was looking for most of the time?

Ask a Question