Upgrade TT app without using HOME?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One 2nd Edition
With the Home incompatibility with the XP PRO OS, does anyone know of a workaround to manually upgrade the TT device by copying the new app version files to the TT device? Is there any TT official workaround (or even unofficial but working) process to upgrade without using the buggy HOME app?

TomTom One 2nd Edition, Wintel XP PRO SP2.

Thx guys

OB

There is no incompatibility with XP Pro. I am currently using XP Pro with TT Home and it's working without issue.
What issue are you having? Maybe we can figure out what's causing the problem?

Never had a problem with XP Pro runs smooth as silk, never heard of a reported problem with it either. Just whats going on with yours? Now vista may be another story, I scrapped vista and went back to XP

Last edited:
There is no incompatibility with XP Pro. I am currently using XP Pro with TT Home and it's working without issue.
What issue are you having? Maybe we can figure out what's causing the problem?

I'm afraid there is (or at least was, and I still have it) - a compatibility problem with XP PRO.

See this post extract ......

"Final Update: I got a response from TomTom. This is the official response:

Quote:
Dear Balthazar,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support regarding the issues you are having with the XP Pro system. My name is Melinda and it is my goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. I will be happy to assist you with this today. I understand how frustrating this can be.

Unfortunately this is a compatibility issue with XP Pro. XP Home works fine but Pro is not compatible. We are working to correct this issue and hope to have it compatible soon. We do apologize for any frustrations this might cause.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Melinda and The TomTom Customer Support Team"

from this post.... https://www.tomtomforums.com/showpost.php?p=38118&postcount=1

and another post....
https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=5688&page=2

=================================================

I have an HP laptop running Xp PRO SP2. Downloaded and installed Home v1.5x and it connected to my TomTom One Second Edition fine (it recognizes the device, I can browse the internal file structure, do backups, etc) BUT this version of HOME does not connect to the tomtom server. It does not display the logon screen for me to enter my id and password.

I then uninstalled HOME V1.5x and downloaded the latest HOME version, and this version connects to the server perfectly fine, BUT it does not recognize my TomTom device! I cannot backup or restore or see the internal file structure or anything, despite the physical cable connection.

I am looking for a way to upgrade my App and maps without using HOME (by using the old Home ver 1.5x with which I can access the file system on the TT device, but TomTom support have not answered my ticket on this.

Anyone know how to manually upgrade the system?

Last edited:
Sorry Old Baldy, but you have been fed a line. There is no compatibility issue with XP Pro, no matter what you were told. I too (and everyone I know) use XP Pro without a problem.

That email you received from TT is a joke, I can't believe they have the cheek to tell people such things. I have a good mind to call them myself about the response you received. It is unbelievable.

The only thing I know that could be causing the type of problem you are experiencing is a firewall. Are you trying this from you workplace? Many corporate firewalls block the traffic to/from HOME. If not, are you using Kerio firewall? Kerio personal firewall is a known culprit. Even after 'allowing' HOME in Kerio, it still blocks it. The only solution, AFAIK, is to remove Kerio.

HOME 2 is much better at dealing with firewalls, so I would stick with that and instead address the 'device not recognised' problem. It is a separate issue I think, and again not related to XP Pro.

I forgot to add that HOME is the only way to update the maps and software, so you will need to get it working.

Have you tried connecting your TT to a different USB port? Maybe you have a faulty port. Or try connecting with a different USB cable.

Do not use a USB hub either. Plug the USB cord, if it isn't already, directly into the computer. I've run into issues in the past with usb hubs and USB ports mounted on the front of desktop cases... (I've been in IT support for 14 years - I've seen almost everything... LOL)
And, just for arguments sake, did you install TT2 with the GPS already plugged in? I would uninstall TT1.5, unplug your GPS, reinstall TT2, reboot the PC, then plug the GPS into the laptop and see if it detects it this go around.
But, I can guarantee that that I have not run into any issues with XP Pro (on two different computers) with TTHome2 - unless it is specifically something to do with your GPS hardware version itself and XP Pro.

Good call on hubs SShadow. That could well be the cause of this problem. You are also right to recommend avoiding the USB ports at the front. They should all work the same, but often they don't!

RESOLVED!!!!

Guys, thanks for the suggestions, but I received the fix for my Home connectivity problem with my TT One 2nd edition. It seems that there was an updated "Home Recognition" file that was required to correct the Home device recognition.

Here was the resolution, from TT support (below). It's now working perfectly!
The new version of the app is SO much better than the old, and I like the auto update feature on traffic, etc.
=========================================================
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support. My name is Laura. I am happy to assist you with this matter. It is my goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. I understand from reading your email that you have been unable to get Home 2.1 to recognize your One and Home 1.5 recognizes it but does not log in. We realize that this is frustrating for you.

We recommend uninstalling Home 1.5 and applying a home recognition file and installing Home 2.0 to correct this issue. Please follow these steps for this process:

- Go to your Start menu

- Select All Programs

- Locate the TomTom program

- Select the option to uninstall TomTom Home

After uninstallation is complete follow these steps to run the home recognition file and reinstall Home 2.x:

Please follow these steps to access the home recognition file:

- Select the Support Tab

- Select "my questions" from the list on the right

- Select the subject of the question

- Click on the E1+E2 file attachment to download this file

- Open my computer

- Look for the drive with the TomTom connected to

- Unzip the downloaded file

- Copy and Paste the contents of the file to the TomTom drive

Next go to this link to download the Home software program:

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=7602&Lid=1

? In the menu that shows click on ?Save? and save to your Desktop

? Minimize the TomTom screen and go to your Desktop

? Locate the HOME setup download and double click to begin the installer

? Follow the instructions until installation is complete

? When HOME is active then connect your unit to your computer using the USB Cable

? If not already showing then click on File, then Login and enter your username and password

? HOME will automatically detect your unit and ask if you want to install any updates

? Click on yes and it will update software and load any maps and Plus Services (Map, Voices etc) that are already in your profile into your unit.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Laura and the TomTom Customer Support Team

Perfect! Glad you got the issue solved satisfactorily. It's great to have a community forum to rely on, but it's even better when the company's support actually pulls through and solves the issue! Makes you feel better about the product you're using... (At least it does for me, anyways - perhaps I'm strange. :) )

Never had a problem with XP Pro runs smooth as silk, never heard of a reported problem with it either. Just whats going on with yours? Now vista may be another story, I scrapped vista and went back to XP

New laptop with Vista Ultimate. Not one problem! Just to let others know. Maybe its the upgrade grimlins...:p

Ask a Question