TT910 mount not in window but in front of dash

Hey guys I didnt like the idea of mounting the TT910 in my windshield so i found a way to mount it in front of my dashboard. What I did was remove the suction part of the mount and left with the stick comming out and i drilled a little hole in my dashboard and stuck the stick which held my TT into it.

Attachments

• Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,109
Here's my TTG510 inside my 1998 Jeep ZJ (Grand Cherokee for the Jeep-challenged). I'm almost ashamed to post pictures of my setup because it isn't as slick as everyone else's. I decided that I wanted to be able to still move my mount around so I kept it intact. I however also didn't want to mount it to the windshield. And thirdly, I wanted to rest it against the dash for more stability. I used to have a Garmin StreetPilot that eventually broke its mount due to the amount of vibration it incurred.

I figured that basically what I needed was a smooth surface that was angled like a windshield but positioned closer in on the top of the dash. This would allow me to simply suction cup the mount to it just as I would a windshield.

Rummaging through my stash of useless junk, I found an old Sun optical mousepad. It's made of aluminum. It was also too big but a couple of minutes spent with some tin-snips solved that problem. I then measured off a 3" section and bent it up at an appropriate angle to mimic a windshield slant. I also trimmed a semicircle on the top to match the roundness of the mount. That left me with a good 5" or so of material which I then bent to match the curvature of my dash. Finally, I went to the local hardware store and purchased some 3M extra heavy duty interior/exterior double-stick adhesive. I had used this for my Garmin's dash mount before so I knew it was strong, lasts for years under harsh temperature conditions and still wouldn't mar the dash when removed. I covered the entire 5"x3" area of the curved portion of my makeshift bracket with the double-stick tape and pressed it against the dash.

DSCN0133.sized.jpg

DSCN0136.sized.jpg

DSCN0139.sized.jpg

I suctioned the mount against the angled portion of the bracket and routed the external mic and power cables into and under the the fascia of my defroster vents. The mic wire is strung through the A-piller trim and the mic is mounted in the upper center control pod which also houses the reading lights and sunroof controls.

The power cable goes down the dash trim on the very left side near the front of the driver's side door and tucks underneath the dash. I secured it with zip-ties to some other cables that were already there. However, the power cord was not long enough to get all the way to my cigarette lighter outlet. This was easily solved with a 6-foot extension cord from an auto-parts store.

It's not pretty but it works pretty well and with multiple points contacting hard surfaces at not only the mount but also the unit itself, it's very secure. Much of the weight is nicely distributed between the connector body and the housing of the unit itself. I do a fair bit of offroad driving so I wanted to make sure things wouldn't shake themselves loose and fall all over the place.

Last edited:
I got a Dash Mount from eBay and TT sticks well to it.. Problem is the Dash Mount Disk doesn't stick well to the dash..

I'm thinking of helping it out with super glue BUT I'm afraid I won't be able to get it off afterwards.. Ideas? I have a similar mount - http://cgi.ebay.com/3-x-TomTom-GO-5...yZ139823QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The tape on it isn't strong enough to hold TT.. Ideas?

Superglue might work but remember that it dries into a brittle substance that's likely to just crack and fail because your dash is likely compliant. Vibrations will ultimately cause the brittle acrylic formation to break apart.

Go to Home Depot or the like and look for the 3M extra heavy duty exterior double-sided tape I mentioned.

f053f5b5-8e78-4775-89fb-07d69b127dc9.gif

Clean the existing tape off the bottom of the dash disc and affix the new tape. The tape is sold in a rolled up strip so you will have to simply use several strips and them trim.

Last edited:
I got some stronger mounting tape from Home Depot (like you guys suggested) and a little super glue. Seems fine now. Thanks!

yea it is pedro , but i thought it 'might' give someone an idea of whats possible..(and i'm a showoff as well)

no mate , just a 17 mm ball attached to a screw..took the tomtom mount apart and stuck it on the ball...

no mate , just a 17 mm ball attached to a screw..took the tomtom mount apart and stuck it on the ball...

The base looks suspiciously like the business end of a tripod attachment screw knob. How is it attached to the dash? Can we also get a shot of the "backside" of the TomTom mount?

Ask a Question