You cannot use this map on this device...

TomTom Model(s)
XL
I took our XL and checked for any updates using TomTom Home. I did the 'backup' and ran the updates. When I returned to my PC (was going back and forth to see how it was doing) it had completed the backup but not the updates. So I ran the updates, using the option to not do the backup again... I just did that.
All the updates installed and are the 1st ever done on this unit. Now I get a message Problem with map You cannot use this map on this device: USA_and_CANADA
How do correct this and why not useable when the update auto run stated it was for the XL. I try to run restore and it acts as though there isn't one available. I see all the backup files.

Help

Aargh. Hate it when this happens. The first thing we should focus upon is getting you running again. It's probably a very good thing you didn't ask for the second backup series. It's possible what you had on the unit is still on your PC.

First, what updates did Home suggest and which did you allow? Are we talking a firmware update in addition to some kind of map update?

Next, let's see what it backed up for a map. Please look at the folder My Documents / TomTom / Home / Backup / XL (I think) / Backup01
Inside the Backup01 folder, we should find the previous content of your unit. In particular, we're going to want to see a folder that most likely starts with "North_America..." or similar. That will be your map folder. If that folder contains some large folders called cline.dat, cname.dat, cnode.dat, your map is probably still intact and can be reinstalled on your unit.

When you connect to Home-->Update my Device, is there an application offered? If so, accept it and install.

Also, try running the Clear Flash tool on the device three times. Get it here:

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6211/kw/clear flash/sno/1

Finally, let me ask this........

Where did you originally get your device? From TomTom? From a bricks and mortar store? From an internet site like ebay?

Aargh. Hate it when this happens. The first thing we should focus upon is getting you running again. It's probably a very good thing you didn't ask for the second backup series. It's possible what you had on the unit is still on your PC.

First, what updates did Home suggest and which did you allow? Are we talking a firmware update in addition to some kind of map update?

Next, let's see what it backed up for a map. Please look at the folder My Documents / TomTom / Home / Backup / XL (I think) / Backup01
Inside the Backup01 folder, we should find the previous content of your unit. In particular, we're going to want to see a folder that most likely starts with "North_America..." or similar. That will be your map folder. If that folder contains some large folders called cline.dat, cname.dat, cnode.dat, your map is probably still intact and can be reinstalled on your unit.

Hello,
I see Backup1 and Backup2... Backup2 has the files you state.
Thanks for the help.

When you connect to Home-->Update my Device, is there an application offered? If so, accept it and install.

Also, try running the Clear Flash tool on the device three times. Get it here:

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6211/kw/clear flash/sno/1

Finally, let me ask this........

Where did you originally get your device? From TomTom? From a bricks and mortar store? From an internet site like ebay?

I recently got married and my wife has this. It was bought in a big box store she thinks. Awhile ago. The Clear Flash Tool changed nothing, but thanks I tried it.

Hello,
I see Backup1 and Backup2... Backup2 has the files you state.
Thanks for the help.
OK. Let's get to this.

It may be possible to simply copy back all of your previous map data to your unit. I still don't know what else may have been updated, though. You haven't yet said.

Get your unit connected. When Home pops up, just minimize it for the time being (don't close it).
Using the normal copy function of your OS, copy the content of the backup folder that contains the cline.dat (etc etc) mentioned above to the same folder on your unit.
Now bring Home back to the screen and using Home, properly disconnect your unit (using the drop down or the little icon in the lower right of the screen).
Once logically disconnected properly, physically disconnect your unit and reboot it. You don't say which of the dozen different XL models you have. Some have a tiny reset hole on the bottom (press very gently with a paper clip for a couple of seconds) but far more of them require that you press and hold the power button for about 20 seconds until you hear the drums and see the logo, at which time you must immediately release the button.

Tell us what state you're in after that.

OK. Let's get to this.

It may be possible to simply copy back all of your previous map data to your unit. I still don't know what else may have been updated, though. You haven't yet said.

Get your unit connected. When Home pops up, just minimize it for the time being (don't close it).
Using the normal copy function of your OS, copy the content of the backup folder that contains the cline.dat (etc etc) mentioned above to the same folder on your unit.
Now bring Home back to the screen and using Home, properly disconnect your unit (using the drop down or the little icon in the lower right of the screen).
Once logically disconnected properly, physically disconnect your unit and reboot it. You don't say which of the dozen different XL models you have. Some have a tiny reset hole on the bottom (press very gently with a paper clip for a couple of seconds) but far more of them require that you press and hold the power button for about 20 seconds until you hear the drums and see the logo, at which time you must immediately release the button.

Tell us what state you're in after that.
I believe this was a first time update? I am not sure of the exact updates, I don't know where to find a history. One was Map another Voice and 2 additional ones. At the time they all seemed correct to do and suggested by TomTom Home.
I'll try the direct copy suggestion soon... having dental surgery today and I might be down for a day or two they say. Will report back, thanks for helping.

Ugh - dental surgery... You have our condolences. Let us know how you make out with the above when you get a chance, but don't start playing with anything until you've stopped taking the Oxy!

Ask a Question