XXL 540TM - won't turn on

Hello,
I have a new XXL 540TM that I just received from Amazon yesterday. It was working fine when I got it, sync'd it with Home and uploaded new maps. Took it out to the car this morning and used it to navigate to an address. Turned it off when I reached the address. When I got back in the car I could not get it to power back on. The unit was attached to the charger. I now have it connected to my computer, still can't get it to turn on, and the computer does not recoginize the unit either. Other than holding down the power button I am not sure what else to try. Is there something else I can try to get the unit to turn on or does this mean that the unit is defective and needs to be returned?
Thx

Try this, press and hold the On/Off button for 15 seconds and release the button when your device begins to restart.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I held the power button down for over a minute but there is no sign of life, did this a few times. While I can't visibly see it now, I know the battery to be almost fully charged. I remember seeing the charge status when I turned the unit on in my car with the power cord plugged in.

Ok does the green charging light come on when connected to the computer? If it does let it charge for a couple of hours and try to turn it on. I have the same unit you do and I love it.

Yes, the green light on the bottom of the unit turns on when connected to the computer or the car charger. I will plug it in and let it sit for awhile.
Thx

I have been charging the unit for 4 hours, 2 hours connected to the computer and 2 hours plugged into the car (my cigarette plug is hot with the car turned off) It still won't power up. How long should I charge it before I can say that the unit is dead and needs to be sent back?

I think you should call for an RMA, Amazon is great and will replace it for you with no problems.

Have to agree with Ken - that one is toast.

A word of warning - when the next one arrives, and since you already set that one up with Home and got the new map, you'll want to set the new one up with a DIFFERENT email address. Doesn't much matter which one, just a different one. Doesn't even have to be a real one. This will avoid massive confusion by TomTom's servers since your original account is tied to your original serial number.

OK, thanks for the tip. Will get with Amazon to send it back.

One last question. When the unit was working and I set it up with Home, it said that I needed to do some updates (not the maps) and when I selected them it gave me error saying that I didn't have enough memory. Now I know that there is not much free memory on these units but that seems a little silly that TomTom would tell you to add some files to your unit knowing that there is not enough memory on the unit to accept them. Will I constantly be running into this memory issue trhoughout the life of the unit (i.e., will I have to delete something in order to add something)?
Thx again

On this unit you have to be careful of what you installl like additional voices and poi"s. I haven't installed any additional voices and only one poi and have not had any issues with space since I gpt it early July.

The maps tend to grow.

There are a couple of ways of getting into that ditch. One is to be running OSx and having it leave a local trash can on your unit instead of on the computer. You'd need to kill off the "." files to free up space after the error. There are also utils that will prevent an Apple from doing that to begin with.

If you're not on a Mac, then you'll want to clear any unnecessary items from the unit before you do the update. Any voices you won't use - per previous post - a good place to start. If you run up against that again, let us know and we'll help you pare things down a little.

I'm having the exact same problem. Also from Amazon. I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of dissapointed people who receive this for Christmas.

I have a xxl, read your response regarding 15 sec hold down of button, mine took about 20 seconds, came on and works fine, (I had dropped mine, dang mount, lol)

thanks

Hi,
so it seems that I had the same problem as you.

What I did was :
- uninstall the XXL software through TomTom HOME, just the software, not the map or anything else
- download that http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.061.xxl2009_tts.CAB-navcore-XXL.cab
- unzip it in a folder
- copy/paste the folder's content into the main directory of the XXL, not in one of its folder

Unplug it and try to turn it on. It worked for me, hope it will for you. Now mine is working perfeclty fine.

Ask a Question