XXL 540TM or 540TM WTE

After doing the research I've decided that the XXL 540TM is the right unit for my needs. The remaining question is whether the extra memory in the WTE version is something to consider. So I read that the map files are getting so big that they can no longer fit in the 2GB limit of the non-WTE unit and I am trying to decide if I care.

I primarily will be using it for local navigation (moving to the Chicago area in a few weeks - never lived there before!). I would likely NEVER need to use the unit in Europe so having the European maps are not of value to me - my questions are:

1) Will I ever care/notice any limitations with a 2GB model and the "trimmed down" maps?

2) Any other reason where an extra 2GB memory might be worth the extra ~$40? (new add-ons ect.)

Thanks!

If you seriously never think you'll need or use the unit in Europe, then you don't need the 540 WTE. I DO have that model and still could not get all the European map updates, only a zone or two once I updated my USA_Canada_Mexico map to 850.

Many NorthAmericans recently (if you judge by posts here) are going for the 540 TM model with lifetime USA_Canada_Mexico maps and traffic. The map may not be as full featured regarding a larger poi set that those with 930 models get offered with their North American maps but it's still quite a large set.

Whatever you do, do NOT get a model with EasyMenu which at this point has significantly fewer user options.

So the trimmed down maps are mostly limited POI? Not missing road detail?

I hear you on the Easymenu thing - I came very close to picking up a 550TM at Costco until I did the research and realized that I need to stick to the 540TM.

So Amazon is the best price @ $179.00 shipped but they appear to be out of stock - everywhere else seems to be $199+ - any ideas?

Not sure what you mean by the 'EasyMenu thing'. That I don't like it?

Correct! :)

Ask a Question