XXL 540 Touch Screen not Responding HELP!

JGM

I recently bought a TomTom XXL 540 and cannot get it to work as I think the screen is not responding to touch for some reason. At the screen that asks something to the effect of "Do you want to use this language" and i try to press one of the buttons (yes/no) nothing happens. This is about as far as I can get in to it.

I have tried the 'soft reset' (hold on/off button for 15 secs) but no help.

The device is brand new and I installed TomTom home and all the updates automatically installed.

Can someone please confirm if this is user/software/hardware error.

Did you by chance make a backup (hopefully Explorer, not Home, prior to any updates?

No I didn't. I took it out of the box, plugged it in to computer and it said to install updates.

Unless you are really keen to try to investigate it yourself, take it straight back to the shop for a refund or replacement.

I recently had a new XXL 540 with a non-responsive touchscreen. After a call to the TomTom help desk at 866-486-6866 (USA), the efficient representative emailed me an RMA with a Fedex label, and I got another unit within 2 weeks.

My gut feeling is that there is a high failure rate with the XXL 540 series. I had returned another one that went completely dead after 10 days. I read somewhere that there might have been a bad batch of memory chips used in the 540 series.

Good luck!

After a call to the TomTom help desk at 866-486-6866 (USA), the efficient representative emailed me an RMA with a Fedex label, and I got another unit within 2 weeks.!

No way would I wait 2 weeks.
With a brand new unit, your claim is with the shop. You should get an immediate replacement.

No way would I wait 2 weeks.
With a brand new unit, your claim is with the shop. You should get an immediate replacement.

If you bought the unit at a local store, of course go and get a replacement. I got mine from Beach Camera online, and it would have been far more hassle to get an RMA and replacement unit through them. Amazon or NewEgg might be easier, but I doubt most online retailers would get you a replacement in less than 2 weeks.

Also, if a physical or online retailer has a bad batch of 540's (see other 540 threads), you would just get another unit from this batch. Getting a replacement from TomTom directly might imply better batch quality control.

I should have said "....or your money back"

Getting a refund should be instant and buying from elsewhere doesn't take two weeks - isn't it strange it's so much quicker to buy than it is to return!

Newboy

Hi, I'm a newbee. I just purchased a TT XXL 540TM to put in our motorhome for a trip to Alaska that we're planning. We plan to leave North Dakota around the 15th of May and kind of wander through Canada, the Yukon and Alaska until somewhere around the 1st of September. Sure hope it does a good job!
lazyjp

Welcome to TTF.

I hope you'll be pleased with the results the 540 provides. Make sure you have the current map installed. Currently, that is 865 but interestingly the 870 map will be due out just about mid May.....

I recently bought a TomTom XXL 540 and cannot get it to work as I think the screen is not responding to touch for some reason. At the screen that asks something to the effect of "Do you want to use this language" and i try to press one of the buttons (yes/no) nothing happens. This is about as far as I can get in to it.

The device is brand new and I installed TomTom home and all the updates automatically installed.

this is my first post but i saw this and had to give you my solution. i had this exact same unit. i sent it back three times with your same issue and this is what happened.
i kept calling tom tom and they kept giving me RMA's and lastly what i said was that i was "no longer comfortable with this unit and would like a different model altogether that works or my money back". They told me that this a known issue with the 500 series but that they would honor my request and sent me a brand new GO 2505 with lifetime traffic and map update(because thats what my xxl 540 had). so there is light at the end of your tunnel. I would suggest using my method and see if it works for you. DO NOT tell them that you know of the "known issue" just tell them that you lost trust in this unit even if they got it to work. I mean after the 2nd time is enough to figure out something is not right. i had 3 that froze on me as soon as i did the application update right out of the box. i use these units alot and know how to work with them. this one happened to be the worst ever. Hope this helps even though i hope by now you got your situation fixed but hopefully this post can help ppl for the future.

I am having the same problem with both axn xxl540 and 550 while trying to enter a city name as a new destination.

On the city screen, you need a state selected, not just the generic USA symbol. Have you got that?

Ask a Question