XL V2 remove simplified menu, install full menu?

Just bought a Tom tom Xl V2 IQ Routes expecting it to have itinerary planning, according to various sources it has. on getting it home I've found it to have simplified menu which doesn't itinerary planning (amongst other features) which is less than helpfull.
Having researched around the interweb it seem's this is due to the simplified menu's - is there any way (including hacking) to remove simplified menus and install the original full menus?.
Slung the box so return to store not an option)-;.

cheers

Steve

No version 2 model has Itinerary Planning.

No hack that I'm aware of to get that menu structure on the unit.

tomtom xl iq route version 2 hack

Hi
This works.
first connect the tomtom to your pc and use explorer to browse to the tom tom. right click on the root folder and create a new folded and call it SdkRegistry. This is case sensitive. Now copy the text below into notepad.

MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2|Page 2|
MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_PREF|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1|Navigate 1|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS|
MENUITEM|TASK_ITINERARY|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE3|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE3|Navigate 2|
MENUITEM|TASK_CONFIRM_DELETE_ROUTE|
MENUITEM|TASK_ADD_FAVORITE|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_FAVORITES|
MENUITEM|TASK_PLAN_VIA|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE4|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE4|Preferences Page 1|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_VOLUME|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_DIST_UNITS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_CLOCK_TYPE|
MENUITEM|TASK_LEFTHANDED|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_GPS_STATUS|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE5|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE5|Preferences Page 2|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_PROMPT|
MENUITEM|TASK_EXIT_APP|
MENUITEM|TASK_RESET_SETTINGS|
MENUITEM|TASK_CHANGE_HOME_LOCATION|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_KEYBOARD_SIZE|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE6|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE6|Preferences Page 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_HIDEMAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_BRIGHTNESS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_BACKLIGHT|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_NIGHTVIEW|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE7|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE7|Preferences Page 4|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_PLANTYPE|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_VOICE|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_COMPASS|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE8|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE8|Preferences Page 5|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_STATUS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_BLUETOOTH|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PHONE|
MENUITEM|TASK_DIAL_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_EMPTY|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|

Now save this as TomTom.mnu (not as a txt file). When this is saved copy it into the folder you created in the tomtom.

remove the tomtom in the usual way for removing hardware and when it resets you will have the old style menu with a fully functioning itinerary button. The buttons were added using menu builder software which is free but to get round the funny large two icons on the main page I have modified the output in the text file above. The selection of buttons are mine but obviously some like bluetooth will not work as the hardware does not have it.
all the best
malc

tomtom hack

forgot to say to revert to the simple menu just delete the TomTom.mnu file that you have put in.
all the files and folders are case sensitive.
malc

Doesnt work on my XXL550TM?

tried you routine and was carefulled about case issues (copy pasted everyhing...) and it dont work on my XXL550TM... I dropped the TomTom.mnu file in the root of the XXL...

any ideals why?

the menu showing up by default is really limitative... and cant find how to show ALL the buttons like on my older GO 910...

help!

Richard ve2dx :(

I dropped the TomTom.mnu file in the root of the XXL...

any ideals why?

Thats your problem, the file "TomTom.mnu" needs to go in the "SdkRegistry" folder, if your device doesn't have an SdkRegistry folder simply create it and move the file in to it - Mike

SdkRegistry

hi the post above is correct.. You need to put the file in a folder called SdkRegistry.
Create this by plugging your tomtom into your pc and exploring to the tomtom drive in windows explorer.
right click the tomtom root and then new folder, call this folder SdkRegistry and put your TomTom.mnu in it.
all the best
malc

xl iq routes 2

Hi
Also as I explained the above text file as been modified to get round the main menu of the tomtom xl iq routes edition 2 as in the original question. If your tomtom as the same menu structure then the mnu file will work but i do not know how the menu is arranged on your model. Its worth a try though as if it does not work simply delete the mnu file. What I have done in the text file is point the main menu at a non existant page (page 2) so the main menu does not load but goes straight to the first preferance page in the preferance menu block which is page 1. All the other pages follow in order except for page 2 as that cannot exist.
If it does not work search for tomtom menu designer by gregory duncan and try that as its an excelent program
all the best
malc

Now save this as TomTom.mnu (not as a txt file).
Thanks; works great on XXL 550; but now, I lost icon for Map Corrections. Is that the trade-off. or is their a script for that. No, big problem, since I can now switch between Lat/Long for Geocaches, and Map corrections by enabling or disabling TomTom.mnu.

Hi
This works.
first connect the tomtom to your pc and use explorer to browse to the tom tom. right click on the root folder and create a new folded and call it SdkRegistry. This is case sensitive. Now copy the text below into notepad.

MENUITEM|TASK_ITINERARY|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE3|
MENUITEM|TASK_PLAN_VIA|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE4|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE5|
MENUITEM|TASK_EXIT_APP|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE6|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE7|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_VOICE|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE8|
MENUITEM|TASK_DIAL_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_EMPTY|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|

Now save this as TomTom.mnu (not as a txt file). When this is saved copy it into the folder you created in the tomtom.

remove the tomtom in the usual way for removing hardware and when it resets you will have the old style menu with a fully functioning itinerary button. The buttons were added using menu builder software which is free but to get round the funny large two icons on the main page I have modified the output in the text file above. The selection of buttons are mine but obviously some like bluetooth will not work as the hardware does not have it.
all the best
malc

Hi
This works.

MENUITEM|TASK_ITINERARY|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE3|
MENUITEM|TASK_PLAN_VIA|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE4|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE5|
MENUITEM|TASK_EXIT_APP|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE6|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE7|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_VOICE|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE8|
MENUITEM|TASK_DIAL_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_EMPTY|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|

all the best
malc
Hi I see this is an old thread, but if you are still about and using XL2, I would really appreciate your technical knowledge.

I have cocked up my TomTom and although I have backed up, I think that there is a small piece of code missing. I have the Central Europe map saved ok. Having problems even getting the device to be recognised.

Any ideas where to get a .zip of the original files (less the map)?

Thanks

Thats your problem, the file "TomTom.mnu" needs to go in the "SdkRegistry" folder, if your device doesn't have an SdkRegistry folder simply create it and move the file in to it - Mike
Hi I see this is an old thread, but if you are still about and using XL2, I would really appreciate your technical knowledge.

I have cocked up my TomTom and although I have backed up, I think that there is a small piece of code missing. I have the Central Europe map saved ok. Having problems even getting the device to be recognised.

Any ideas where to get a .zip of the original files (less the map)?

Thanks

The latest thing I can point you to would be v9.151, which will in turn need to be updated by Home to get the well known WNRO (week number roll-over) issue from a while back fixed.
I will send you a link via PM that I want you to try. If successful, you will need to unpack the *.cab file (it's just a *.zip file under another name) into the root of your device.

Ask a Question