Win XP Doesn't Recognize TTGO 920

Whenever I attempt to connect to my computer, I get error message that my computer doesn't recognize the device connected to the USB port. Have spoken to various techs at TomTom support. One told me that problem occurs with Media Center, but not with XPSP2. However, I have same problem with another computer operating WIN XPSP2 without media center. TT support is sending me a new dock, which is supposed to solve the problem. Until then I have to reset the device before attempting to connect to computer, which is aggravating. I have also experienced problems with the device turning itself on shortly after I shut down the device. I have to keep an eye on the device to make sure it remains off.

Anyone experience this problem? I believe that I have a TTGO920 that needs to go back for service.

I am having the same problem with the auto on. See these threads:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=6551

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?p=40736#post40736

The issue with the TT turning itself back on is incredibely annoying and I haven't seen any remedy for it yet.

I have received the XP error message that you described. It only did it when I connected the tomtom to the dock and then powered it on. When it was already powered on and I attached it to the dock I do not get this error message.

outerbank6,

The usb connector on the TT920 is a female mini-b. If you have a digital camera, they also use the same connector. To test if the problem is the tray, plug the mini-b plug into the TT and then plug the other side into the computer.
If the TT is not recognize, then the problem with the unit, not the tray.

hope it helps

TT920 Not Connecting to Computer

Thanks for the responses. The suggestion to turn on the TT before setting it in the dock seems to solve the problem. I am amazed that TT support techs did not recommend this procedure as a solution, even after asking them if there was any particular method or order in which the TT920 should be connected to the computer. I previously had a TT720, which connected to the computer upon setting it in its dock and then turning it on.

Now I am contending with the problem of the TT920 powering on after shutting it off. I used the TT yesterday for a short trip and it functioned without any problem. I arrived back home and shut it off. Before going to bed I checked to be certain it was still shut down. It was. This morning I attempted to power on the TT and discovered that it would not turn on. I connected my haome charger to the TT, turned it on to discover that the battery was fully drained. I can only conclude that the TT must have turned itself back on sometime during the night.

I wonder when TT support will come out with a cure?

Thanks for the responses. The suggestion to turn on the TT before setting it in the dock seems to solve the problem. I am amazed that TT support techs did not recommend this procedure as a solution, even after asking them if there was any particular method or order in which the TT920 should be connected to the computer. I previously had a TT720, which connected to the computer upon setting it in its dock and then turning it on.

Now I am contending with the problem of the TT920 powering on after shutting it off. I used the TT yesterday for a short trip and it functioned without any problem. I arrived back home and shut it off. Before going to bed I checked to be certain it was still shut down. It was. This morning I attempted to power on the TT and discovered that it would not turn on. I connected my haome charger to the TT, turned it on to discover that the battery was fully drained. I can only conclude that the TT must have turned itself back on sometime during the night.

I wonder when TT support will come out with a cure?

Have you tried 'Reset to Factory Settings'? If not, you may want to try that. But you will lose settings, favourites, etc. that you've added since you got the unit; however, in the state it's in, probably worth the effort.

If it turns out (if you try resetting), that you still encounter the issue, have you tried restoring from your first backup when you got the unit (hopefully, you backed up using Explorer, not tthome, and put the backup somewhere on your hd).

If he creates a new POI category for favourites, eg. it could be called "A-Favourites" to make sure its at the top of the list, then he could add new POIs and when it asks for location, he could choose from favourites. Repeat this until all Favs are converted to POIs and then he could delete the favs (or not since its easier to do a reset and the device will purge the favs).

This is done in the preference menu, manage POIs, add POI category and Add Pois.

If he creates a new POI category for favourites, eg. it could be called "A-Favourites" to make sure its at the top of the list, then he could add new POIs and when it asks for location, he could choose from favourites. Repeat this until all Favs are converted to POIs and then he could delete the favs (or not since its easier to do a reset and the device will purge the favs).

This is done in the preference menu, manage POIs, add POI category and Add Pois.

Good advice! You win a rep point!!!:) :)

Sorry, I don't want to rub salt in your wounds, but I don't have the same problem that you do. My TT920 is able to be off in its tray, and when I turn it on it's able to connect with the computer without any problems. So I don't think applies to every TT920.

GO920 Does Not Shut Down

Have tried all the procedures recommended on this forum regarding a possible solution to the GO920 not shutting down properly. Sometimes it shuts down correctly, sometimes it doesn't. I am waiting for a response from TT support.

I do thank this forum for providing a solution to not being able to connect to my computer. Turning on the GO920 just prior to setting it in its dock works every time. Thanks again for the help.

Ask a Question