Why won't my 'Tom Tom One' stay on ?

I have a 'Tom Tom One'

Q: How do I identify which version I have ?

On the bottom of the case it says: FC ID: S4LONE

My Problem:

Yesterday: I used it with no problems.

Today: I was about 15 minutes into a journey when it went off.

I tried pressing the start button on top, and after about 2 seconds it starts as usual, showing the 2 red hands, and ‘TomTom’ written in white text, along the bottom of the screen.

But then it just goes off.

There is a reset button under the bottom of the unit (to the left of the SD card):

I don’t know what the correct procedure is for using this, but I’ve tried different permutations of pressing this and the start button, but it still doesn’t start.

NB: When I started the journey the battery still had some power from the previous day.
But I still connected the supplied power lead to the cars cigar socket.

Thanks Mac

Perhaps the battery has run down to such a degree that it needs a longer charge via the car charger or usb cable to the computer.

Also, a pin rest in the bottom of the unit might help..........make sure you can actually feel a little 'give' when you insert the thin paperclip in the hole, just making sure you have made proper contact.

Hi DHN
Thanks for the reply.

I plugged the tomtom into my PC via the supplied usb lead, and run setup.exe on the supplied CD.
The unit powers up in service mode, and I’m able to make a backup of the SD.

I then closed set-up on the CD, and the TT then went into the normal mode, where I could see the battery indicator flashing low.

Q: Does the TT charge from the PC via the USB lead ?

So I checked the car charger, and it doesn’t seem like there's any output.

Q: So does anyone know if the charger has a fuse ?

(NB: I would attach a photo of my charger, if you can tell me how ?)
My car charger has 3 horizontal raised oblongs on the side of its case, and the top oblong has what looks like a (smaller, car type) fuse in it, with the number 2 on top of it.

But it doesn’t seem easy to remove, so I don’t want to force it, just in case it's not a fuse !

So, does anyone know for sure ?

Thanks

NB: If I leave the TT switched on or off, and connect it to my PC via the USB lead, the charge-light next to the on-off switch doesn’t light up!

Last edited:
It is a two amp rated mini blade fuse and they very difficult to remove unless you have very strong thumb nails there should also be a clear section of plastic near the top of the charger which will light up green when power is applied to the charger from the car assuming the fuse hasn't blown - Mike

Thanks
I've removed it now, and its failed.
So any idea who stocks them, as they are smaller than a regular car fuse.

After replacement, I can check the voltage with a meter, but do you know if there's a history of these failing again ?

If so it would suggest a faulty charger ?
That could eventually damage the TT

Thanks

In the UK Halfords stock them but you have to ask, most garages also stock them but again you need to ask as these fuses are far smaller than the normal blade fuse - I assume the same applies to the USA for the availability of fuses???

As for the charger, to be honest I would throw it in the bin if its blown a fuse, if its gone wrong and fried your navigation device you have been lucky, my advice is to get a new car charger rather than messing around swapping the fuse and praying it doesn't blow the device - And Mini USB car charger rated at 1 amp or higher is adequate to power your nav device - Mike

Ask a Question