Why does my TT take the longer route?

Why does TT always take the longest way no matter if I plan fastest or shortets routes?
I don't have a map of Brazil so I cannot try a route A...B Demo mode to see if there is something significant.
Use these Google coordinates for a Demo on the TomTom.

If you follown that route in Google Street view you will find that it does NOT show the road arrows for northbound section ( to the right ) onto Av Pastor Martin Luther King Junior. only the route to the left (south bound). http://goo.gl/maps/B13Co move your mouse to the middle of the road.

Ditto here. Without a South American map, it's not possible to see what missing road segments, accidental turn restrictions, etc., might have been included.

@Jorge
If you are fairly familiar with using your TomTom, you will want to pretend to make a Mapshare change at the couple of critical intersections that would be on your preferred route. Don't actually make any unnecessary changes! But do use that method to look to see if any restrictions are already in place by accident. In the process of doing this and looking around the map at a fairly high zoom, you may also discover a missing piece of road that is preventing that routing.

Use these Google coordinates for a Demo on the TomTom.
No need to try a demo. I use this route twice a week. TomTom always does as shown in the first picture.

Arno said:
... in Google Street view you will find that it does NOT show the road arrows for northbound section ( to the right ) onto Av Pastor Martin Luther King Junior...
But when I edit the map in TomTom, the arrows are there.
And there's no restriction on the map that would make TomTom avoid that route.
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7224/semrestricoes.jpg

I planned the same route at routes.tomtom.com. Although the route arrows are not shown there either, it takes the correct and shorter way.
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/9808/mapaattomtom.png

By the way, can I put the images in body of the text or only links are permitted?

No need to try a demo. I use this route twice a week.
The suggestion for a short Demo with the Google coordinates I gave was to see if you can observe something obviously wrong or why TomTom wants to use the long route around.
Also, have a look at the instructions, there should only be a few.

But when I edit the map in TomTom, the arrows are there.
I was referring to Google's white, temporary arrows on the road that make for the increment with which the next photo was taken.

At the URL I gave, Googles Street view ONLY allows to go to the left. When you drag the Street View man over the map, line to the right for the north bound turn does not exists. That is why there are no white arrows to the right.

I find it odd but this should not affect this problem as the path drawn by Google clearly make the short turn to destination.

I planned the same route at routes.tomtom.com. Although the route arrows are not shown there either, it takes the correct and shorter way.

By the way, can I put the images in body of the text or only links are permitted?
Confirmed that TomTom Route Planner takes the shortest route.
This leads me to believe that maybe MapShares are involved.

Do you accept MapShares from anybody? Not just TomTom trusted ones?

To insert images.
You must have typed anything in the composition window. A single . (dot) will do, not just quoted text.
You now must "Preview Post".
You then must go to the very bottom of the TomTomForum Window (scroll bar).
Under the blue heading of Additional Options you see Manage Attachments.
Click on that and follow the instructions.

I think you can help now, I mean, help me even more.

I planned the route again, but instead of including only the point at which TomTom takes the wrong route, I planned all the way to my house.
In this picture you can see that the RED way is the best one, at least that's the way everybody takes.
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/8514/rotacompleta.jpg

I also noticed something weird.
Both coordinates A and B are less than 5 minutes from my house. Destinations A and B are 10 meters away from the other at the very most.
Now, if you plan those routes on the TomTom or at routes.tomtom.com, you'll see that for coordinates A, TomTom takes the shorter route. Why is that?
I saw the specific points on the TomTom and at Google View. There's no access restriction.

A)
To : 22.81918°S, 43.35676°W

B)
To: : 22.81903°S, 43.35693°W

Do you accept MapShares from anybody? Not just TomTom trusted ones?
I use medium trust level, that is, changes verified by TomTom, trusted sources and reported by many. But I'm considering not using MapShares anymore... it erases or undo all the corrections I do on the device.

Now THAT is totally strange. I have a contact at TomTom who I think will be very interested in seeing how these look!

I can make no promises, but I can assure that I'll bring this to his attention. If anything comes of it, I'll let you know.

FWIW, this is what he's being presented with. I think it accurately describes what you outlined above:

http://routes.tomtom.com/route/22.8...-22.824815914346,-43.3534125&zoom=9&map=basic

vs.

http://routes.tomtom.com/route/22.8...-22.824815914346,-43.3534125&zoom=9&map=basic

Last edited:
@canderson
Those two routes.tomtom.com above are identical.
I have posted the adjusted one.

@Jorge
I cannot add anything to what canderson posted at this time but we will definitely try to pursue this.

The difference to your latest Route Planner from before, via Mercurio, may just be an IQRoutes, time of day difference.

OK.. think I have it right in post #7 (and elsewhere) now. I did the CTRL-C/CTRL-V twice again, and it took three attempts to get the right one to copy. Whatever.

Hmm... we have exactly the same link, except for a "#" sign, but getting different results when I click on them (you can copy link location and paste to text doc to see that). I'm confused about why this happens! Need to see what this "#" business is all about, I guess.

Totally strange. Anyway, pay close attention to the extra #/ in the string. It seems to be some sort of replanning flag.

Last edited:
Cannot compare as you seem to have corrected yours.

BTW, I usually click on "Link", just as with Google maps, eliminates the Ctrl+C (Strg+C on some keyboards).

Hello Jorge,
We have received a feed back:
This route is generated due to the fact that the much shorter route is marked as No Through and if destination is not on a no through road the routing algorithm will not use them. In South American countries favelas are usually attributed with no through reducing the change that customers are routed though areas that are not advisable.
That explanation for a longer route could make sense in general.

In this case, from my observation, the "red" route in your initial post does not seem to traverse any "worse" area than the "purple" one.

I am looking forward to your comments.

Last edited:
In essence, TomTom believes that the 'ideal' routing would take you through a bad part of town. Which of course isn't relevant, since moving your destination ahead just a few feet changes its decision, but sends you through that area anyway.

We will continue to pursue this on your behalf.

I still don't understand the original issue, though. Even if there was a 'no fly zone' in the map data, how did moving his destination up a few feet cause the routing to change? I still have a funny feeling that there was an inadvertent discontinuity in the map data.

Hello Jorge,

Thanks for the feed back.
I shall inform the TomTom contact who, to my mind, never gave a satisfactory explanation.
I do not expect to hear back but I I glad it is working for you.

Regards,
Arno

Thank you, Arno.
Here's another example to inform your contact:
To go from 22.82832°S, 43.31942°W to 22.82887°S, 43.32137°W, TomTom simply ignores "Rua Criciúma". It's a two-way street, it's been there for over 20 years and I don't believe it's a No Through area.

There's no need for you to help me with that!
I've already infomed it at Map Share Reporter... 3 times.

mh689c.jpg

Ask a Question