Where to install new maps?

Finally I got LMG and latest version of the maps. I have TomTom GO 720 and 8GB SDHC card. I called TomTom to ask how can I install maps on SD card and make it default drive/maps, and they said you can?t do it with 720. I was confused.

So, my question is how to install default map on SD cards? Also, is it good idea to have everything on SD card rather than device?

Thanks

Finally I got LMG and latest version of the maps. I have TomTom GO 720 and 8GB SDHC card. I called TomTom to ask how can I install maps on SD card and make it default drive/maps, and they said you can?t do it with 720. I was confused.

So, my question is how to install default map on SD cards? Also, is it good idea to have everything on SD card rather than device?

Thanks

Winner!! You, too, can get a stupid answer from TomTom Support ... and you did! :eek:

The way it works is this. If the operating system is located on a sd card (this is for any TT model), the unit first boots to the sd card (I guess in your case that would make the sdhc card the 'default')

So:
1. You can put the operating system files (loose files in the root of the unit) onto the sdhc card AND put the map folder on the sdhc card and things will be fine.

2. You can keep the system files on internal and move the specific map folder to the sdhc card and, again, the Go series (x20, x30, x40) treats the card storage IN ADDITION to internal so, again, everything will be fine.

I've got a 4-gig card and keep the o/s on internal but the map on the card. Works fine.

Sorry...no prize for getting a wrong answer from TTSupport to a question. You realize if we did that, we'd run outta prizes very quickly! :D

Winner!! You, too, can get a stupid answer from TomTom Support ... and you did! :eek:

The way it works is this. If the operating system is located on a sd card (this is for any TT model), the unit first boots to the sd card (I guess in your case that would make the sdhc card the 'default')

So:
1. You can put the operating system files (loose files in the root of the unit) onto the sdhc card AND put the map folder on the sdhc card and things will be fine.

2. You can keep the system files on internal and move the specific map folder to the sdhc card and, again, the Go series (x20, x30, x40) treats the card storage IN ADDITION to internal so, again, everything will be fine.

I've got a 4-gig card and keep the o/s on internal but the map on the card. Works fine.

Sorry...no prize for getting a wrong answer from TTSupport to a question. You realize if we did that, we'd run outta prizes very quickly! :D

Thank you for your comment.
By operating system I think you mean TomTom Application, so, how do I get TomTom Application only on SD card ? Just copy and paste?

Thanks,

Yep, use Explorer and just copy all loose files in the root of the unit to the sdhc card.

Ask a Question