Whay is a red light camera, speed traps and safety camera?

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL-S
What is a red light camera, speed traps and safety camera?

What exactly is a red light camera, speed traps, and safety camera..Do these apply to me in New York/ Long Island area. And also, I noticed I get safety camera updates, but im not paying for a safety camera...?

Thanks

Last edited:
Don't know if it's the same in the USA as here in the UK & Europe but they have cameras one some of the junctions with traffic lights. The 'Red Light' camera will take a picture & you can get fined for going through a red light.

Maybe in Amsterdam they have a totally different meaning:D:D:rolleyes:

What exactly is a red light camera, speed traps, and safety camera..Do these apply to me in New York/ Long Island area. And also, I noticed I get safety camera updates, but im not paying for a safety camera...?

Thanks

Just to let you know that these cameras that take pictures of you speeding etc are all over nassau county and not moving into suffolk county. A friend of mine got 2 red light camera picture fines for $50 each. Their is no warning until you receive a letter in the mail

Just to let you know that these cameras that take pictures of you speeding etc are all over nassau county and not moving into suffolk county. A friend of mine got 2 red light camera picture fines for $50 each. Their is no warning until you receive a letter in the mail

I live in Nassau, thanks for that info bro. I never got a warning from my GPS though?

Thanks

I get quite a few alerts for cameras when traveling through Staten Island. On the expressways they are traffic observation cameras (for repoting traffic conditions), but on local streets they are at signalized intersections as described above.

Speed Cameras

In the Netherlands they have speed cameras that are combined with the red light camera. A little multi-functioning going on here.

Ask a Question