What is an activation code?

Purchased GO910 in 9/2006 and never registered. Having FIRST EVER problem with lost maps. Used on Mac and never backed up on "Home" because. Because. So today I do not have maps of Europe and North America, no backups, and reinstalled from "Home" (what little was available). Noticed no maps were available. No CDs or DVDs with purchase. Trying to enter activation code... have card 15 alpha/numerics in three groups of five characters....does not work.Noticed you want an eleven (11) character code. Where is activation code? Not on card! Don't have original box. Have manuals but not ONE mention of activation code. Please. Can you send me activation code to my email address? How can I get maps? Writing from France where I bought Go910 (700 euros).

Hi and welcome...
We must get one thing out of the way first... where you say
Noticed you want an eleven (11) character code.
and:
Can you send me activation code

It sounds like you think we are TomTom (the company). We're not. This forum is entirely independent of TomTom itself and is run entirely by enthusiasts.

OK having got that out of the way, I'm afraid an activation code is no use without the map itself, and I'm not sure if you have one anywhere yet.

Are you reasonably confident with computers and able to browse the contents of the backup you have and the memory of the TomTom itself?
If not, we can guide you through it, but it will be a lot quicker if we can assume some knowledge.

Thanks for info on TT Forums and thanks for your time. To update... I purchased and downloaded Europe map and it works fine. Still don't know where activation code is located. I have a plastic card and a label with an eleven character code printed on it. Please advise on how to use the code (with or without "Home"?). I can find my way around the Mac. Thanks.

So you've purchased a NEW map now?

If so, the reason that map works fine is that TT don't use activation codes for their maps any more.

I thought you were trying to re-activate your ORIGINAL maps that were on the 910 and that we were going to have to think back and try to remember exactly how they used the code.

If you are now running successfully with a new map, you should never need that old code again.

Post back if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

Thanks Andy for your comments. Yes, after posting on TT Forums and waiting for a response, I just purchased a new map. Thanks for your time.

Ask a Question