Welcome! Please read, then check and update your Profile

TomTom Model(s)
Go520,720,XL Live, Start60,Go940,950,1000,1005,New500,New5000
Just a quick note to replace a very old topic which said much the same thing...

First of all... Welcome!

You can use this forum section just to say hi and let us know what you're about, please don't be afraid to start a new topic here or just reply to this post, but if you've got any specific questions, it's best to start a new topic in the relevant section.
Don't be scared to do that, we don't bite!

---

Also...
This forum is now INTERNATIONAL and TomTom models (and model numbers!) differ in different countries.
So it's really useful if we can quickly see WHERE you are from and what TomTom you own....

Where you are....
All we need is the country, but feel free to add a city name too if you like.

What TomTom you own....
What we need is the name ON THE BOX it came in. Don't expect to find the model name on the unit itself as the details on there are sometimes just a company reference or part number.

If you don't have the original box handy, the easiest way to find the exact model name or number is to enter the first two letters or characters of your unit's SERIAL NUMBER (the one right next to the barcode label) into TomTom's on-line "model-finder" tool here (US site) or here if you are in the UK/Europe.

---

To add these details to your profile, just click on where it says "User CP" in the grey bar at the top of the forum screen, then click on "Edit Your Details" in the list on the left. (Alternatively, you can get to the same place from "Edit your details" in the "Quick Links" menu in the same bar).

You can add as much or as little extra info as you like, but filling in the "Location" and "TomTom Model" (please be accurate here!) boxes near the bottom will really help us to help you.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
i dont have a clue how to use these forums I have just purchased an 825 Go live I am based in the uk and went out yesterday for the first time with this TomTom and to my horror it called rounderbouts Rotarys and i certainly dont like that ,how can I get rid of this for a start it is set to English UK can anyone out there help me with this problem
before I return to my very trusted Navman

We have UK based mods here. Hopefully, one will pop into this thread and advise.

Hi Donald.
Firstly, once you've replied again to say it's OK, I'd like to move your question into it's own topic... it's a bit out of place in this "Welcome" post.
Once you've replied here, I'll send you a click-able link to the new location in a "PM" - that's a personal message that you should get popping up as soon as you come to the forums. If you don't get a pop-up message, you can go to your Personal messages manually, by using the link at the top right of every forum page.

OK... on to the problem of the "rotaries".

I have to admit, that's a new one on me!

I've seen a lot of TomToms in my time and every single one has said "roundabouts" in the UK.

So.... we've got a language or location setting wrong somewhere, but if you did the normal set up it runs you through when you first switched on, and have selected a UK English voice, it SHOULD have sorted itself out, to know it was in the UK.

Although there is a way to change the language in the settings menu, I think we should start with a return to factory settings. You'll lose any Favourites you've added and also your Home location, but we need to get back to basics.

So, go to the settings menu and on the very last page should be "Return to Factory Settings" or "Reset Factory Settings". Select that and go through the two confirmation screens.

The NEXT screen will be to select your language. Select "English UK" !!!

I wonder if you accidentally selected English (US) the first time, as it is right next to the UK in the list? :cool:

Now it should load the Europe map and then ask you for your home location.
You'll be asked for the correct country for that too.Scroll down the list and select United Kingdom. Then enter the rest of your address, city first, then street name then house number. (You can always change this again later).

Agree to the information sharing if you like, and the legal notice that follows, and any other welcome screens or tours it pushes at you, until eventually you get out to the main driving view.

Hopefully you're now done.

To check it, rather then having to go out for a drive, you can set up a demo route.

Go to "A-B Plan route" and, using the "Point on map" option to set both the start and end points of the route, set up a route through any roundabout you know of.
Once it has calculated the route, tap "Details" on the summary screen and select "Show route demo".

It should do a demo of the route through the roundabout and hopefully will now say the right thing!

Have I even posted here before? I know I joined and now TomTom has a new bulletin board and that's why I'm posting. Not crazy about Xenoforo but I've seen worse boards. Congrats on the transition. My login worked flawlessly, as I expected it would. :)

Hi guys,would just like to intro myself as a newbie on the forum but not to GPS in general.Warmish greetings to you all from the UK as we near our exit of our summer.​

Hi all
I would like to introduce me as a newbie to this forum and to tomtom gps world also.
I am no electronic wizzard or geek its simply not my generation so please explain in more details your answers and I should be able to pick up somewhere.
Since I inherited this GPS, I would like to be able to put it to good use while traveling with my camper here in North America.
Thanks
Pierre

Welcome to TTF, Pierre.

What are your specific questions?

Have you used the "Search Forums" function on top of the page?
There may be an existing thread, where your problems have been solved already.

If you cannot find anything, please start a new thread instead of replying here.

Hello Arno
I appreciate your welcoming answer.
My questions are about the use and model number of an external antenna and also about SD cards use and capacity.
I have just visited the search forum but I have never used much forums,so I am not very able to go where I would like ,to get my answers

Hello people, first Forum I have participated in, I Iive in South Wales U/K and hope to soak up the atmosphere.

My questions are about the use and model number of an external antenna and also about SD cards use and capacity.
I do not know anything about the external antenna and hope one of the other moderators moves this to a new or existing thread.

Gee! I sure would like to open a new thread but I just cant find a place to write it ...or may be I have to write it right here.
Like I said I haven't been on forums at all or so little I should say.

Hi Petrofun, and welcome!

Starting a new question is quite easy... if you can get back to the main forum menu page (you can click on the blue "forums" link at the top of any page or just click HERE). then you should see a list of the various forum sections. Just pick one of them that sounds good for your question (e.g. General TomTom Discussion or Technical Support)
Click to go inside that section where you can then click on any of the "threads" or topics to read them.

If you want to start a new topic for your question, there's an orange box near the top right that's called "Post new Thread".

Click on that and you're ready to ask your question. You start by making a descriptive title in the box at the top, and then you can type whatever you like in the big box below. When you're finished, click on the "Create thread" box at the bottom, and your new topic should appear in the list.

Ask a Question