via route creating

I am looking at buying the Via 1505TM. I drive predefined routes that I'm not familiar with. So, one of the features I'm having a hard time finding is whether I will be able to create my own route either by setting via or way points on the device or from my computer. Any help with clarifying this would be very much appreciated.

The old TomTom models had the "Itinerary Planning" feature, where you could create a route of upto 48 waypoints and also save and load those routes.

Unfortunately, none of the new models currently do. We were promised that it would be added in a future software update, but well over a year later they have failed to deliver and never mention it any more.

What they have given us instead is a simple "add waypoint" facility, where you can add 3 or 4 "go via" points to a normal route. On your model, you can add upto 4 waypoints.
But you can't save or load the route that it creates.

Rather than the 1505TM, you might look about for the XXL540TM. It's the old style platform that so many of us still prefer, and has the feature that you are asking about and many more. I've seen new XXL540TM units for quite good prices on Amazon recently.

I will take a look at that model. One concern I would have with going with an older model is how long will it be supported.

Make sure that you get the "TM" version

Yes, that's what I was getting at. Thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look at it.
I suspect that you are already aware of the naming terminology that TomTom uses, but as a firm believer that anything that can go wrong will go wrong, I'll go ahead and mention that you want to make sure to get the XXL540TM.

There are other variations of the XXL540. The XXL540T includes lifetime traffic but does not include lifetime map updates, and the XXL540M includes lifetime map updates but does not include lifetime traffic, while the basic XXL540 does not include either lifetime traffic or lifetime map updates. In the past, the price differences between the different versions were potentially significant, but they have recently become so small that it makes the most sense (IMO) to get the XXL540TM, as it costs very little more to get significant benefits.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Yes, that's what I was getting at. Thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look at it.
I suspect that you are already aware of the naming terminology that TomTom uses, but as a firm believer that anything that can go wrong will go wrong, I'll go ahead and mention that you want to make sure to get the XXL540TM.

There are other variations of the XXL540. The XXL540T includes lifetime traffic but does not include lifetime map updates, and the XXL540M includes lifetime map updates but does not include lifetime traffic, while the basic XXL540 does not include either lifetime traffic or lifetime map updates. In the past, the price differences between the different versions were potentially significant, but they have recently become so small that it makes the most sense (IMO) to get the XXL540TM, as it costs very little more to get significant benefits.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Yes I did know there were differences based on the lettering, but thanks for making sure I got the best model possible.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm still concerned with buying a model that may have an outdated GUI and slower processor. I would assume that these are the advantages of the newer models considering some of the functionality has been reduced.

Any benefits of newer models are **seriously** diminished by the fact the user has no access to the file system on the models (no user backups are possible of the application or maps) and the fact the user can't use Home 2 but **must** use the MyTomTom web application.

I'm still concerned with buying a model that may have an outdated GUI and slower processor. I would assume that these are the advantages of the newer models considering some of the functionality has been reduced.
It is obviously a subjective opinion, but I find the GUI of the XXL540 to be essentially equivalent to that of the newer models - the differences are relatively subtle. There are a couple of areas in which I consider the GUI of the newer models to be superior, but there are also a couple of areas in which I consider the GUI of the XXL540 to be superior. YMMV.

In terms of performance, I have not noticed any real difference, although that may be because the XXL540 is not devoting any processor cycles to providing Bluetooth phone connection to my cell phone for hands-free service. There might be a more visible difference if I were to do an apples-to-apples comparison. Obviously, if a Bluetooth phone connection is a big plus for you, the XXL540 will take a big hit in value, as it has no such connection capability.

Personally, as David said above, I find the access to the file system on the XXL540 to be a big plus - but I'm a cliche nerd when it comes to playing with hardware and software. I also like the "itinerary" capability of the XXL540 that is not currently provided by the newer models - although it has been promised for a long time.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

The XXL540 has a BETTER GUI than any of the "EasyMenu" models, both past and present. The response to key presses is actually better than many of the newer models. The only thing that can be slower is routing over very long distances. The newer models have some built-in pre-established routes for certain long distance runs that are used as a starting point which speeds up the results considerably for a really long journey.

I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to pick up an XXL540TM for $99. I only wish the GO740Live models were still around so I could confuse you further with the idea of adding Live traffic, Google searches, etc. - but alas, those are gone now. I'm planning to hang onto mine (even with the smaller screen) until it turns to dust!

Ask a Question