VIA 1535 low battery issues

TomTom Model(s)
1535TM
My VIA 1535 started acting up after a few months service (intermittent use), the unit says low battery then shuts down, sometimes restarting it would get it going, but recently it flat died and would not start up at all. I read of battery problems for some of these units and replaced the battery with a new one (correct type/size), and computer charged it? for several hours, I made a trip today of about 2.5 hours and it worked perfectly. On the return trip I forgot to plug it in and it lasted about 10 mins. and now acts as it did previously, ie, it will only stay on a few seconds, then low battery alert and shut down.
I am in the process of wall charging the unit now with a 5 volt charger, it shows a charging battery and I'll leave it on a while, but don't have any faith that it will "cure" the problem> Looking for comments> Is there anyway to accurately check the car charging cord, it has the traffic gizmo on it? hipirn

Have NOT seen any serious level of battery incident on the Via 1535. Those issues were more common on a couple of the earlier models.

Let's talk about the sequence of events (not yet clear) after you replaced the battery.

First, after replacement, did you begin driving with it right away, or did you charge the unit first? If so, using what charger?
2.5 hours + 10 minutes would be about the normal for a new battery running without being charged. That's about all the capacity they have running on their own.
It sounds like your car charger isn't getting the job done. There's a 'status' screen that will show you whether or not the Via 1535 thinks it is even connected to external power.
Press screen / Settings / Left Arrow / Left Arrow / Battery status

If your car charger is working at all, it should show "Source: External power adapter", and if needs be, "Status: Charging"
If you see "Source: Battery power", then there's no juice from the car charger at all.
Watch it from time to time WHILE you are driving. The problem MAY be intermittent, especially if at some time, the unit has dropped when still attached to the power cord.

Let us know what you see and report back. Could be car charger/cable. Yours is all in one piece, correct? Cable cannot be detached from the cigarette lighter adapter?

Have NOT seen any serious level of battery incident on the Via 1535. Those issues were more common on a couple of the earlier models.

Let's talk about the sequence of events (not yet clear) after you replaced the battery.

First, after replacement, did you begin driving with it right away, or did you charge the unit first? If so, using what charger?
2.5 hours + 10 minutes would be about the normal for a new battery running without being charged. That's about all the capacity they have running on their own.
It sounds like your car charger isn't getting the job done. There's a 'status' screen that will show you whether or not the Via 1535 thinks it is even connected to external power.
Press screen / Settings / Left Arrow / Left Arrow / Battery status

If your car charger is working at all, it should show "Source: External power adapter", and if needs be, "Status: Charging"
If you see "Source: Battery power", then there's no juice from the car charger at all.
Watch it from time to time WHILE you are driving. The problem MAY be intermittent, especially if at some time, the unit has dropped when still attached to the power cord.

Let us know what you see and report back. Could be car charger/cable. Yours is all in one piece, correct? Cable cannot be detached from the cigarette lighter adapter?

Thanks for the reply. After battery change I charged it for about 3 hours with the computer cord. After it failed again I charged it with a Sony 5 volt house circuit charger and have not used it since. It did say that the battery was fully charged (this time). I was not aware that I could check the power cord per your instructions, and yes it is a one piece power cord. I have suspected the cord almost since it was new as I've had a problem with the unit since soon after I purchased it ,but put up with it's intermittent charging issue as I only use the unit for long periods a few times a year. It may be a while before I can check it further but will check the cord while driving and report what I find.... PRMc

The good news is that you are able to charge it at home. Note that when using the 'computer cord', your charge will be limited to the lower 500mA that a computer will provide from a USB port. Your Sony charger will likely be able to charge much more quickly due to what is probably a much higher charge current capability.

Let us know what you see 'on the road' and we'll take it from there. I'm beginning to suspect that car charger/cable. Unfortunately, it also contains your RDS traffic receiver, so I'm hoping you don't have to replace it at your own expense. How long ago did you purchase the unit, and do you still have the receipt?

Ask a Question