vent mount verses dash mount!

TomTom Model(s)
920T
Ok i have been told no to buy a vent mount for my 920 t because as i live in CA the AC will fog up the unit/
is that true?
and in that case i need to buy the correct dash board mount that would fit my BMW as the dash board is a bit slanted .
Does any one have any suggestions that would not cost and arm and a leg
Thank You.

Terry 007

In CA, you can attach things to the windshield - as long as they do not interfere with your field of view while driving. That also holds for all the junk you see hanging from rear view mirrors - which is distracting but never enforced.

I used a vent mount for quite some time and never saw any fogging from the air conditioner. They do however block the vent by a large amount and over the winter I avoided using the heater through the top vents. the mount held my unit securely, but it moved around a lot. And moving between two vehicles was not great, although I could have purchased a second one for only a few bucks.

overall I wasn't happy and while in Maine last weekend bought the bean bag mount from best buy. a bit pricey at 41 bucks, but it was there in stock and minutes later it was on my dash. IMHO far far better than the vent mount which I'll not use again. The bean bag is very heavy and sits on my dash no problem in either car. does not move and puts the unit withing easy reach.

I personally would not recommend the vent mount.

I used a vent mount for quite some time and never saw any fogging from the air conditioner. They do however block the vent by a large amount and over the winter I avoided using the heater through the top vents. the mount held my unit securely, but it moved around a lot. And moving between two vehicles was not great, although I could have purchased a second one for only a few bucks.

overall I wasn't happy and while in Maine last weekend bought the bean bag mount from best buy. a bit pricey at 41 bucks, but it was there in stock and minutes later it was on my dash. IMHO far far better than the vent mount which I'll not use again. The bean bag is very heavy and sits on my dash no problem in either car. does not move and puts the unit withing easy reach.

I personally would not recommend the vent mount.

I first got a bean bag at Best Buy, but when I found they were available for $12 online, I returned it. Their mark-up is a little extreme.

Since you are in Maine (or were down from Canada?), you might find the suction cup looses it's grip when it is cold (also at high altitude, but not a problem up there).

I first got a bean bag at Best Buy, but when I found they were available for $12 online, I returned it. Their mark-up is a little extreme.

Since you are in Maine (or were down from Canada?), you might find the suction cup looses it's grip when it is cold (also at high altitude, but not a problem up there).

yessir, I should have checked the online sites before that trip.

But since the trip was a down from canada Toys R Us run with my grandson and he was getting all my money what with GI Joe and books at every walmart and bookshop we saw, I thought I'd best get something for myself before it ran out. :) do you know how many walmarts and bookstores there are in maine???

A grand four days with the young fella though...worth every penny!:)

Last edited:
yessir, I should have checked the online sites before that trip.

But since the trip was a down from canada Toys R Us run with my grandson and he was getting all my money what with GI Joe and books at every walmart and bookshop we saw, I thought I'd best get something for myself before it ran out. :) do you know how many walmarts and bookstores there are in maine???

A grand four days with the young fella though...worth every penny!:)

Way too many - but at least you were now able to buy with Canadian dollars worth more then US ones. Bet he can hardly wait until his nest trip with you.

Ask a Question