USB port on VIA1605 Failed

TomTom Model(s)
TT VIA 1605
It looks like the USB port on my VIA1605 failed. Are those repairable? I have tried different computer and car charge cables, but the unit doesn't connect. Customer support said they couldn't help because the unit is out of warranty. Thank you

To help understand -- is there any chance that this unit has dropped from the windshield/dash with the cable connected? I've had a couple of units whose USB connectors starting getting loose because of this. What we don't know is if it's just cable/connector contact that is the problem, or whether the connector has started to separate from the board.

To help understand -- is there any chance that this unit has dropped from the windshield/dash with the cable connected? I've had a couple of units whose USB connectors starting getting loose because of this. What we don't know is if it's just cable/connector contact that is the problem, or whether the connector has started to separate from the board.

Nope, I haven't had any accidents with the unit. I first noticed the issue a couple of days ago when I was driving and didn't see the traffic bar on the screen. It did connected occasionally yesterday after I unplugged cable from the unit and then plugged it back, but now it doesn't connect at all anymore. I have rebooted the unit multiple times and that didn't help either, so I think it is a hardware problem.

Is it just traffic that is the problem, or are you also not seeing any indication that the device is charging when connected?

When you are having this issue, look in the lower left corner of the screen. Do you see a little horizontal battery there or not? It will appear at the upper left of the leftmost gray 'tab' at the bottom of the screen. See below.

Attachments

• latest.jpg
    latest.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 400
Is it just traffic that is the problem, or are you also not seeing any indication that the device is charging when connected?

When you are having this issue, look in the lower left corner of the screen. Do you see a little horizontal battery there or not? It will appear at the upper left of the leftmost gray 'tab' at the bottom of the screen. See below.

There is no connection/no traffic signal at all. The green light at the base of the car charger is on, but the battery icon is on the lower left corner of the screen all the time. I have tried different cables in the car and at my computer.

Last edited:
OK. If the battery icon is appearing non-stop in the left corner when it's plugged in, you have neither data nor power. I just wanted to be sure that this wasn't JUST a traffic issue.

Next step will be to open the unit and observe the state of the USB connector with regard to the board. The battery replacement video at the following link shows you how to get the case apart >>>
It requires a small Torx screwdriver for one screw. After that, it's a matter of using a thin plastic blade of some sort to get the back case and bezel separated.

Having done that, you will be able to see the USB connector. We'll need to know if it's still firmly soldered to the board. If anything looks suspect, a close up photo could be very helpful.

Ask a Question