Tyre

TomTom Model(s)
one xl - s
Great program and very helpful and easy to use. I can create a complicated route in just a matter of minutes.

But ---There always is a "but" associated with most everything.----Transfering the route from Google Maps to the TT does not always result in the route you created.

I just created a simple test route that went about half way across town. For the most part it was OK --- but in the demo when I left the starting point it took me in a quick trip around the block and then lined out and performed well after that.

I have noticed several descrepencies of this sort using this system. Sometimes the route will change for no apparent reason and deviate several blocks and route itself back to the previous push pin.

This is not easily seen on a long routing map and could come as quite a surprise when traveling.

Some bugs somewhere.

Tyre uses Google maps to calculate the route. When you move it to your TomTom it calculates the route based on your begin/waypoints/end.

The key being "begin/waypoints/end", these are the only things saved in an itinerary, not the actual route on the roads.

The only way to FORCE a route to remain 100% the same is to add enough waypoints along the way. This is the hard part, or maybe I should say most time consuming. Study the route in Tyre. Everywhere there is a possibility your route can be deviated add a waypoint. In town that could be as often as a waypoint every block. Longer stretches on the open road are possible.

The longest trip I have done this for was 110 miles one way. I had more waypoints than I cared to count but, the route always remains the same each time I load it now. The ironic thing is that by the time you get done doing this you know the route so well you don?t need the GPS anymore.

Now, to add to all this, go through and set the speed limits that you are sure of along the way.

There is indeed a lot of time invested in all of this. I look at it this way. I would probably do this if I didn?t have a GPS. Now, considering that I?m even on my time spent. On the drive itself I have the advantage of knowing the route better. With the GPS I have advanced warning of turns and the ability to change lanes etc. Peace of mind, less stressful drive. With the GPS speed warnings and the Radar/Laser detector I can minimize my drive time.

A lot of this planning seems to defeat the purpose of having a GPS. Maybe so. But, it makes the drive more fun.

One more thing, if you venture off route for any reason, construction, lunch etc the route is recalculated. More waypoints help insure it is recalculated closer to your original desire.

Just some food for thought and what I have learned along the way.

For the most part it was OK --- but in the demo when I left the starting point it took me in a quick trip around the block and then lined out and performed well after that.

I have the same situation when I run the demo at home. My starting point (home) is closer to a street which does not provide access to my house. So, TomTom wants to route me out to that closest street and take me around the block to reach my programmed starting point. But as I travel out my driveway, which connects to my starting point on another street, TomTom recalculates and works fine.

You could move your starting point a short distance away from your starting location. Then when you hit that point the routing should pick up and not try to take you around the block.

I think you are right ---- I probably need my starting point probably a half block away from my house --- or some other slight distance.

As I have alluded to on this forum recently ---- the TT programming leaves something to be desired. Apparently only a minimal effort was put into it.

As Johnling noted, you need the correct number of waypoints along the route.

The way TT works with an Itinerary, A, B, C, D, E, F. TT will take you from A to B and then to C, etc. But at each point, it will do its own calculation about which way to get to the next point. So when you reach B, TT will now figure out how to get to C and there might be 2 or 3 or a dozen routes between B and C.

If _YOU_ had a specific route between B and C in mind, you may have to add B1, B2, B3 before Point C to force it to follow your route till TT's choices are limited.

I have created an Itinerary from Tacoma to Lee Vining, about 1,200 miles. It appears to be the route I want all the way. At certain intersections, I placed waypoints just past certain crucial intersections so that TT was forced beyond an intersection where TT might have chosen left (Highway X) or right (Highway Y) when _I_ wanted only the LEFT (Highway X).

Obviously in urban areas you might not be able to define such a specific route as there are too many intersections and TT may just go for a drive of its own!!!!

This might need a separate thread but:

This planned as a flexible, multiday drive. So I don't know exactly where I will stop/start each day and only have the OVERALL Itinerary. What I'm not sure about is what happens at the end of a day and the start of the next day. If I run that same Itinerary, will it want to get my back to Tacoma to restart the Itinerary.

Last edited:
When you deviate from a route the TT trys its best to re-route you based on where you are. I think when you restart the itinirary on the second day it will simply start you from your present position regardless where you happen to be.

At least that is what I expect will happen. I have yet to try this.

As for using a lot of push pins that does not appear to me to always be the way to overcome a problem in your routing. I have tried this a few times and regardless of pin placement or the number of pins I use I have seen the TT go ahead and drive me in circles or re-route me onto a road I do not want to go on. It occurs only occasionally but it does happen.

Last edited:
Hey, I just noticed that Tyre had integrated itself into the menu of TomTom Home: "File Tyre Device Tools Help"
That's handy! :cool:

R?

Going on a trip tomorrow ---- get to use my TT for the first time in a real world situation. Got a lot of things to do today to get ready but I am going to take a few minutes to describe my method of using Tyre in case there are some who have not tried it or may be having problems with the procedures.

I have read several descriptions on how to do this including the one in the Tyre program but being a little slow to understand others procedure descriptions I will list my steps and try to be a little more specific.

Here is how I do it and it works great for me. -------

(1) I plug in my TT to the computer and when it ask me if I want to connect to the PC I push "YES" on the TT screeb.

(2) I then click on my TT Home icon on my PC and bring up the TT Home screen

(3) at the top of the Home screen I click on "Tyre" and then a submenu pops up and I click on "Run Tyre". this brings up the Tyre screen.

(4) I then click on the "Google Map" icon and that pulls up the Google map screen.

(5) I zoom in on the map to wherever I intend to create a route and then I click on my starting point and my first waypoint.

(6) with two push pins established I then click on the "calculate" button and the blue route line connects the pins. I continue to add my waypoints and carefully watch the blue line as it continues to connect the points. If the line wanders astray I reset the pin to a more favorible position ---just drag and drop it with your mouse.

(7) after adding all waypoints I click "OK" at the bottom right hand section of the screen.

(8) this takes me back to the Tyre screen and I click on the "save" icon and it then gives me the chance to name the itinirary.

(9) after naming and saving the route I then click on the "copy to TT" icon.

this is all that has to be done. After the route copies to the TT unit I unplug it from the PC, turn it off and then turn it back on and am able to pull up the route using "Itinirary" and "Load Itinirary" on the TT screen. Find the name of the new route and pull it up and crank up the car.

Hope this is a good guide for anyone having trouble learning to use Tyre.

Last edited:
I think another important thing when adding waypoints to your tyre route is to zoom in as close as possible to the route before adding the waypoint. I use to add waypoints without zooming in and the waypoint wouldn't actually be on the road I want to take but a side street. This is where driving with the TT would then get you into trouble and off route.

What I do now is zoom right into the route and add the waypoint right on the blue route outline. IF your waypoint is where it should be, it will automatically place itself in the correct order in your list of waypoints and destinations. If it is off the actual route, it will stay last on the list and you'd have to move it up manually by clicking MOVE UP but this will cause routing problems in the end because the waypoint is not on the actual route.

I explained as best I could, hope it makes sense :eek:.

If it is off the actual route, it will stay last on the list and you'd have to move it up manually by clicking MOVE UP but this will cause routing problems in the end because the waypoint is not on the actual route.
:eek:.

So if I wanted to leave Richmond, Va and end up in Florence, SC, TT routes a straight shot down I-95. But if later I decided that I wanted to go by way of Raleigh, NC and put a pin there I would then need to move it up and recalculate? Would I have any problems with this?

So if I wanted to leave Richmond, Va and end up in Florence, SC, TT routes a straight shot down I-95. But if later I decided that I wanted to go by way of Raleigh, NC and put a pin there I would then need to move it up and recalculate? Would I have any problems with this?

That should work fine if you are only using one or two way points

Yes, no problem

Anyone else getting a "range check error" in Tyre? I think it may have something to do with the new firmware on the ONE.

I think another important thing when adding waypoints to your tyre route is to zoom in as close as possible to the route before adding the waypoint. I use to add waypoints without zooming in and the waypoint wouldn't actually be on the road I want to take but a side street. This is where driving with the TT would then get you into trouble and off route.

What I do now is zoom right into the route and add the waypoint right on the blue route outline. IF your waypoint is where it should be, it will automatically place itself in the correct order in your list of waypoints and destinations. If it is off the actual route, it will stay last on the list and you'd have to move it up manually by clicking MOVE UP but this will cause routing problems in the end because the waypoint is not on the actual route.

I explained as best I could, hope it makes sense :eek:.

Even a divided road in town can be interesting. If you put a waypoint on the wrong side of the road you are routed around the block to pass the waypoint and around again to get back on route. Zooming in and out as often as needed is a must.

Even a divided road in town can be interesting. If you put a waypoint on the wrong side of the road you are routed around the block to pass the waypoint and around again to get back on route. Zooming in and out as often as needed is a must.

I agree. Another thing I just noticed is that if you add a waypoint that is not on the route, it is yellow. If it is on the route it is red.

Tyre Can't Find Google Maps

Suddenly Tyre cannot find Google Maps. I get this error message: "Cannot find Google Maps. Is your internet connection OK?"

Same result on two different computers on which Tyre worked fine for several weeks. Any idea what could be wrong? I made sure JavaScript was enabled.

Suddenly Tyre cannot find Google Maps. I get this error message: "Cannot find Google Maps. Is your internet connection OK?"

Same result on two different computers on which Tyre worked fine for several weeks. Any idea what could be wrong? I made sure JavaScript was enabled.

Could be a google maps problem. Server busy for a short period of time or something. Could also be a firewall problem, after updates sometimes your firewall may not let other programs access the internet. If all else fails reinstall Tyre. Reinstall it over the old install so you don't loose any itins you may have saved.

Can we force the unit (tomtom device) making some sorts of noise such beeping, shouting, yelling, announcing, ..... when arriving to the waypoint???
I passed by my waypoint without notice since the unit doesn't make any noise, no flashing on the screen either. I have to keep looking at the screen for the yellow flag.

Can we force the unit (tomtom device) making some sorts of noise such beeping, shouting, yelling, announcing, ..... when arriving to the waypoint???
I passed by my waypoint without notice since the unit doesn't make any noise, no flashing on the screen either. I have to keep looking at the screen for the yellow flag.

Add that waypoint as a POI and set the slert.

Thanks, john
That's what I thought about but, waypoints passing through maybe once or twice in life and every day has some new waypoints. Sometimes, I add waypoint (as Travel Via) during my trip. Set up as POI for all of them isn't very practical. There must be some other ways.

Ask a Question