TT1 vs Escalade in dash navi

TomTom Model(s)
ONE V4
I'll start off by saying that like most in this forum I've been less than impressed with the 665 maps, but this past weekend my wife and I had to go to a wedding in Lafayette, La and rode with my parents in their '07 Escalade. I brought my TT1 as a back up even though the Cady has an in dash navigation system. Our first destination was the Drury Inn, the Cady didn't have it listed for a POI, it couldn't even pull up the address. I fired up the TT and guess what, it had the hotel and the street name where the Cady didn't. Our next destination was the rehersal dinner, both units did have that. For the church, again Cady did not have the church listed which was built 14 years ago, and the TT did. Finally for the reception afterwards, neither unit had it listed but the TT did have the address and the Cady couldn't find it. For this trip at least the TT won 3-1.

My wife has the same navigation system in her '07 Saturn Outlook (GMC thing I guess) and it has our house listed on an (unverified road) even though it was built in '93, the TT lists the street name and routes to it with no problems.

The new maps have problems but I still perfer it over the GMC in dash navi's which were $2k options on both cars.

Cool shodnett! It doesn't really surprise me the ONE beat the in dash satnav. The ONE probably has more recently updated maps from Tele Atlas and the portable devices usually are better at calculating routes- and your case proves it to be true. Not to mention the portable ONE is a lot less expensive and much easier to update when the time comes. Although its nice the nav in dash, 2k is too expensive for me and if it can't find 3 of 4 places you were looking for it just doesn't seem worth it.

So other than the driving, how was the wedding weekend? :)

The wedding was short and sweet.:) He was my last groomsman to get hitched, there was a little hope for him to stay single but some honey put the comehither to him and he gave in.

I'll start off by saying that like most in this forum I've been less than impressed with the 665 maps, but this past weekend my wife and I had to go to a wedding in Lafayette, La and rode with my parents in their '07 Escalade. I brought my TT1 as a back up even though the Cady has an in dash navigation system. Our first destination was the Drury Inn, the Cady didn't have it listed for a POI, it couldn't even pull up the address. I fired up the TT and guess what, it had the hotel and the street name where the Cady didn't. Our next destination was the rehersal dinner, both units did have that. For the church, again Cady did not have the church listed which was built 14 years ago, and the TT did. Finally for the reception afterwards, neither unit had it listed but the TT did have the address and the Cady couldn't find it. For this trip at least the TT won 3-1.

My wife has the same navigation system in her '07 Saturn Outlook (GMC thing I guess) and it has our house listed on an (unverified road) even though it was built in '93, the TT lists the street name and routes to it with no problems.

The new maps have problems but I still perfer it over the GMC in dash navi's which were $2k options on both cars.

This post shows that no matter what the map version, map vendor, and GPS unit, none are a pure winner. They all have their issues and problems and I think you just have to work around the issues.

A co-worker has a Nuvi and he too has routing and map issues on a fairly regular basis. The key is knowing generally where you are going and use the unit's abilities/interface to get you there the way YOU want to go.

-S

Ask a Question