TT1-3rd & Replacing North Amercian Maps with Europe Maps

Has anyone had any success in replacing the TT1-3rd Edition North American Maps with a European Map? I'm assuming from my reading that they can't be loaded up on the small internal (1gb) memory unit, however, would like to use this TT1 on travels to England and France this spring, and save buying another one over there, or spending $20 a day through the car rental agencies.

Concerned as well in buying a map from TT, only to find it can't be done (even though their website offers a map)

I'm not afraid to try any solid/reliable suggestions - if worse comes to worse, hoping i can restore this unit from backups (or use as a paperweight) if I have to.

Appreciate your thoughts, ideas & experiences...

Has anyone had any success in replacing the TT1-3rd Edition North American Maps with a European Map? I'm assuming from my reading that they can't be loaded up on the small internal (1gb) memory unit, however, would like to use this TT1 on travels to England and France this spring, and save buying another one over there, or spending $20 a day through the car rental agencies.

Concerned as well in buying a map from TT, only to find it can't be done (even though their website offers a map)

I'm not afraid to try any solid/reliable suggestions - if worse comes to worse, hoping i can restore this unit from backups (or use as a paperweight) if I have to.

Appreciate your thoughts, ideas & experiences...
You could do this if you saved your USA map to the hard drive on your computer, then erased it off of your Tom Tom to make room for the European map. Then you would have to buy the European map from Tom Tom. I'm not sure of the size of the European map, but as long as it's not bigger than the USA map, this should work. Then when you're done, you can dump the Euro map onto your computer, and reload the USA map. This is your only option with the 3rd edition since you don't have an SD slot.

Have you tried getting the map thru the Home program, rather than from the website? Choose the 'Add maps' button. When the list of maps comes up, change the 'View' to 'All' (instead of 'Recommended items').

You will see the map of Western Europe there at the end of the list. It is about the same size as the USA_Canada map, so it will fit. The price isn't cheap - 80€ or around $120. Too bad, there was a half price sale in January:mad:

As the previous poster mentioned, you can copy your USA_Canada map folder to your hard drive and then delete it from the TomTom. Do this using Windows Explorer (My Computer), where the TomTom will show up as a hard drive. The map folder is the only thing you have to remove.

I would delete the map from the unit before trying to purchase thru Home. Otherwise, it will tell you that there isn't enough space for the new map.

Ask a Question