TT One 3rd Edition Navcore

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One 3rd Edition
My One v6 has NavCore v8.016 installed. When checking on the TT website, the latest for my model is v8.010 and v8.016 is ONLY for the GO630! A side-effect of this(?) is that I continuously get offered a phone update... the ONE doesn't have phone capability :)

I have forced a "clean" install and get the same version. Along with the App, I also get offered the 2 standard UK voices AND UK Safety Cameras! That's a first... never had cameras on it before! Or is that another side-effect of the "wrong" NavCore?

Regards,

Mike

Here's a link to the 8.010 for a V6:

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_8.010.9369.onev6.cab

I'll quote DHN for the rest:

Make an Explorer, Not Home, backup of your unit's contents.
Delete all the loose files in the root of your unit. NO folders or their contents.
Use WinRar or other compressed file extractor to extract the contents of the compressed *.cab file to the root of your TomTom, overwriting as necessary.
Disconnect the unit properly from the computer using the Hardware Device disconnect icon.

Last edited:
NavCore 8.010

Thank you for the run down.
I downloaded the Navcore from the link provided, used WinRar to unkpack to a new directory on the desktop and copied ALL files to the root of the TT "replacing" all as necessary! I used the Disconnect Hardware Device to eject the TT but it would NOT shut down. Pressing the RESET button was the only way forward.
And now it will only turn on by holding the ON button for about 10 seconds, and then just does nothing, with TomTom+hands on a black background!
I restored it from my CD backup and all is well once again, albeit with NavCore 8.016.
What did I do wrong?
Regards,
Mike

When you did the file delete on your unit, were you careful to delete only the loose files in the root - and NOT delete any of the folders in the root? And note that not all of the files that unpacked from the *.cab were destined for the root of your TT. Did you ask WinRAR or WinZIP or whatever to maintain the directory structure?

Navcore 8.010...

Hi,
Yes, definitely only files not folders were deleted.
When using WinRar, the only criteria I set was to overwrite without asking... is there another setting I should make? IE, as you mentioned, maintain directory structure?
That said, only a few files ended up in the root... so a LOT must have gone into folders. I'm sure I did it correctly.
What next do you think?
I really appreciate your time/help.

Mike

I'm not at all certain as to why the 8.010 install didn't fly for you. It sounds like you got it entirely right from here. Perhaps the local expert at manually loading new firmware (DHN) will pop up with a suggestion or two.

I'm curious to know, since you may be the only one we know who's had this firmware on a V6: Apart from being offered an update that won't function (it's likely small and you won't be using it) for Bluetooth phone connects, how's 8.016 actually working on the unit?

As you are local Mike, where in the North West are you located??

It might be worth opening the ttgo.bif file in the root of the device with NotePad and having a look at what device the unit is actually reporting itself to be, if this is wrong then Home will continue to offer the wrong Navcore for the device - Mike

Navcore confusion...

Hi Canderson,
v8.016 appears to work just fine, apart from those phone updates offered. You may wonder why I'm bothered by this if it works? Fussy perhaps, but I see it as a challenge when one thing is supposed to happen but something else happens instead! Call it insatiable curiosity :)

To MikeAlder
I'm on the Wirral Peninsular about 10 miles north of Chester.
The ttgo file reports: (I've cut a few lines to include the lines I assume a relevant)

[TomTomGo]
DeviceName=TomTom ONE
DeviceVersionHW=ONE (v6)
RamDiskVersion=20080825
BootLoaderVersion=55022
LinuxVersion=223986
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8016
ApplicationVersion=9380
UserLanguage=English UK
CurrentMap=United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland
CurrentMapVersion=825.2159

Does that arouse any suspicions? Looks about right to me. Why can't I overwrite 8.010 as suggested? Unless I need to change a file that references it somewhere else?

Regards,

Mike

That file certainly isn't showing anything peculiar that I can see. It clearly has the hardware right - and Home shouldn't be offering that firmware version!

mlhifi....

Did you ever have a different TT unit associated with the same account as you are using for this one?

Navcore

No, this is the first TomTom I've ever owned.

Just to eliminate all possibilities, I have set up a (brand-new) laptop and tried that ! Completely clean install of the O/S and HOME. Still the same result.

What about radical action... save the map folder, fully reformat the TT and let HOME put it all back, update, then put the map back! Is that likely to solve anything? Probably not, but it can't make it worse!

Navcore...

OK, this is what I did!

I copied the map folder... I formatted (NOT quick) the Tomtom... I deleted ALL files in My Documents/Tomtom...

I connected the TT and it updated... to v8.016! And proceeded to offer the 2 standard UK voices and the phone update!!! I then replaced the map folder, and the device works as it did previously.

So, I am now at a loss. I asked TomTom about this and have JUST noticed I have a response waiting for me starting with the words "The easiest way to resolve this issue will be to remove the current application......"
I will NOT hold my breath, but if a miracle should happen, I will report back. I wish myself good luck!

Thank you gentlemen for your time and patience! Any further suggestions will be gratefully accepted :)

Mike

Tomtom has had a few releases of 8.01x applications higher than 8.010 for various one/xl non-IQroutes devices.

It seems as Tomtom changed hardware components and added features, it slightly changed the app each time. For example, the RDS-TMC traffic antenna won't work in certain countries (like Canada) unless you have app 8.014. While Tomtom doesn't publish this, their support will tell you how to download 8.014 if you ask.

App 8.016 is a legitimate application for some variants of the ONE 3rd edition. Again, while there's no documentation, my guess is that they made slight hardware changes and without 8.016 the device won't shut down like you're experiencing.

Home must recognize your device as one that needs 8.016 and offer you the app. My guess is that it's this file.

Can you do one thing to confirm? Go to mdocuments\tomtom\home\download\complete\program. Then open the most recent subfolder, and open the .toc file in the folder with notepad.

Can you post the string that begins with download.tomtom.com that is in that toc file?

Last edited:
Navcore

Looks like your guess is spot-on!

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.016.casablanca1024_1v8.CAB-navcore-ONE.cab

With this app, though, it obviously thinks I have a different unit because of the constant offer of phone updates.
As I mentioned a few posts ago the TT works just fine, but when TT tell me the latest app for my model is v8.010 I like to know why I get a different ONE... it's that insatiable appetite for knowledge again! Thank you.

Regards,

Mike

Navcore 8.016...

The aforementioned reply from TomTom boils down to this:

They are telling me their website is wrong (or not updated) and, in fact, v8.016 IS the correct version for MY TT One 3rd Edition v6!

I have asked them to please reflect that in the website. I won't hold my breath! For now I can only assume they are correct and that I do have the latest version and it's not a mistake!

Thanks to one and all who took part in this "chat" and when I finally get fed up with THIS model, I know where to come when I buy the NEW TT and IT goes wrong! :)

Best regards,

Mike

Ask a Question