tripmaster v3.1

One thing I wish I could figure out is instead of showing UTC time, I wish I could display it in local time.

There's a setting for "offset from UTC time" (e.g., -7 hours for Pacific Daylight Time). That's what I was referring to above when I wondered why it doesn't already know your time zone.

You can access the Settings page for Tripmaster by tapping the lower-right box, and there are several Settings tabs stretching over two screens (be sure to click the >> tab to see all the settings available). I also changed the default time color (same as Units color) from red to yellow for better visibility.

One thing I wish I could figure out is instead of showing UTC time, I wish I could display it in local time.

There's a setting for "offset from UTC time" (e.g., -7 hours for Pacific Daylight Time). That's what I was referring to above when I wondered why it doesn't already know your time zone.

You can access the Settings page for Tripmaster by tapping the lower-right box, and there are several Settings tabs stretching over two screens (be sure to click the >> tab to see all the settings available). I also changed the default time color (same as Units color) from red to yellow for better visibility.
Ok thanks for this information. I will be fixing that up now. Makes sense about the offset from UTC.

No, it won't work on any Nav3 device where the user has no access to the file system on the device.

I have a Tripmaster question which isn't discussed in the documentation.

If you look at the main screen, just above the large current speed number, there is a small vertical line. As I drive, I sometimes see an arrow come out from that line, pointing either to the left or the right. What does that arrow indicate?

Also, above that vertical line, I sometimes see a graphical indication that looks something like a (for lack of a better word) lump or a hill. I don't know what that lump indicates either.

Any ideas? :confused:

Steve, very excellent questions! I may be corrected by the program author, but these are my best guesses based on my use:

1) The vertical line just above the speed seems to display a right-type arrow when your relative speed is increasing (more speed increase results in a longer arrow), and a left-arrow for decreasing speed.

2) The lump or hill you discribe is called the "inclinometer." It is a slope indicator which gives the amount of change in altitude based on "x" seconds (as defined by you in the setup). I sometimes use this feature if driving through mountain areas and want to know if I have *really* been going uphill or was that an optical illusion. Otherwise, I generally do not pay any attention to either of these visuals as they provide information overload and can be distracting if stared at too long :eek:

I'm assuming you're using Ver. 3.1?

Hi Alfie,

Thanks for the answers. Yes, I'm using 3.1.

I'll observe the arrows above the speed to see if what you describe makes sense. In looking at the Tripmaster revision history, the author calls it an "accelerometer".

As for the inclinometer, that's not what I'm talking about. I've seen the slope indicator that you're talking about, and figured that out because it's described in the documentation. What I'm describing is directly above the vertical line we already discussed. But instead of having a ramp-like appearance like the inclinometer, it looks more like a normal distribution curve/hill, with both an uphill side and a downhill side. It shows up very intermittently, so I'm always surprised and curious when I see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Humm; guess I haven't noticed anything right above the line except for log activation/deactivation information. I'll check more carefully next time to see if I see what you see. Will let you know . . .

. . . What I'm describing is directly above the vertical line we already discussed. But instead of having a ramp-like appearance like the inclinometer, it looks more like a normal distribution curve/hill, with both an uphill side and a downhill side. It shows up very intermittently, so I'm always surprised and curious when I see it.

Well, after several long trips, I didn't see any indication of your intermittently showing curvy form.

Anyone else see anything like this?

TripMaster does run on TomTom XL series. You could try it on yours. But first, I would make a backup (using Windows Explorer or similar if you have an Apple computer) of your TomTom.

Here's the set of instructions I made for my setup:

1. Unzip TripMaster v 3.1 on your computer - should see 3 folders.
2. Make a new folder on your TomTom called tripmaster.
3. Copy / paste the entire tripmaster folder onto your TomTom tripmaster folder.
4. Make a new folder on your TomTom called sdkregistry.
5. Copy / paste these two files into the sdkregistry folder: tripmaster.cap and tripmaster.bmp
6. In addition, you will need to install "plugins_hook.so" from the author. To get it to work on mine, I needed to make a modification to hook.

If you need help setting it up on yours, let us know . . .

Should do, you just need to follow the instructions on their website carefully, including adding any patches they mention.

I have installed TripMaster V3.1 (with plugin s/w) into 5 TomTom Rider V5 GPS's. Tripmaster has worked excellent EXCEPT for two significant issues:
1) The SPEED display has a significant latency. It shows a significant lag in responding (displaying) to changes in vehicle speed. The TomTom Rider display has no lag in displaying speed changes.
2)At ambient temperatures above approximately 75-80 degrees F. the Tripmaster display appears to lose GPS signal and 'freezes' or displays the screen as if the GPS signal was lost.

Does Tripmaster V3.1 use a different method for obtaining the GPS data in a Navcore 9.5 device? Other TomTom Riders of an earlier vintage do not display these symptons running Tripmaster.

QUOTE "I have solved the #1 issue mentioned above by changing the Frequency setting in the SETUP menu from 500 to 100. Done deal!!"
XgwAB7wz4Y8lZNxPgsCCzDPbzgTQG-KAWfrW85K-9K-AglGYx_hJc_epIoBQPq1IIjYKM_DvElpZl8xf9npIRjBeovRXxVa-42lYD59sbAYiqA=s0-d-e1-ft

- - - -
Sorry I was so slow in getting back to you - out of town to a wedding. I see you figured out the answer - glad it's now working properly for you!

Thank you. However, the 'thermal sensitivity' issue (Issue #2 above) still seems to exist. I'll have to wait for a warm day again to test it out. Kind of a odd behavior. If I leave the TomTom GPS sit out in the warm sunshine for a few hours then Tripmaster displays the 'loss of gps' condition.

The speed latency issue is solved now with the change in the 'Frequency' setting!

QUOTE "Status update. As reported above, I changed the 'Frequency' setting in the SETUP menu from 500 to 100 (Tripmaster seems to limit this setting to no lower then 100). When making this change the Speed latency issue was cleared up. Also, it 'appears' that the so called 'temperature' issue has also disappeared. I let all 5 TomTom Rider V5 (the latest TomTom Rider GPS model) sit in the hot sun for several hours and there was no indication of Tripmaster freezing or locking up or displaying a loss of GPS signal. Not sure exactly what is going on but it's very interesting! LOL!"
- - - -

Thanks for the update!

Well more testing disclosed that the fault is still there. I am running 5 of the latest TomTom Rider gps's and one of the earlier TomTom Rider gps. All units are loaded with Tripmaster V3.1 and the 5 current TomTom Rider have Navcore 9.5 and the earlier TomTom gps has Navcor 7.4. Only the TomTom Rider with Navcore 9.5 is displaying the problem condition where it appears to lose the gps signal and locks up while displaying Tripmaster. Bummer!

Any ideas?

Hi plumpurplecrazy & welcome to TTF!

Tripmaster runs on my TomTom XL 340. If you have the TomTom One XL, a slightly different set of instructions would be used.

1. Unzip Tripmaster v 3.1 on your computer - should see 3 folders.
2. Make a new folder on your TomTom called tripmaster.
3. Copy / paste the entire tripmaster folder onto your TomTom tripmaster folder.
4. Make a new folder on your TomTom called sdkregistry.
5. Copy / paste these two files into the sdkregistry folder: tripmaster.cap and tripmaster.bmp

Properly disconnect your TomTom from the computer, reboot the TomTom, and hopefully (smile) Tripmaster will appear on your last menu screen.

Let us know how it works. Good luck!
I tried this on my TomTom Start (tripmaster v3.1) and the tripmaster icon is there but when I click on it it just goes back to the map screen. Any ideas?

I cannot help you but, does your Start connects to the PC with HOME or MyDrive Connect?
Which operating system are you running.

Ask a Question