Traffic Receivers

TomTom Model(s)
930T and XXL
Just for information:
Several sites are showing the TMC traffic receiver in stock and available for shipment, quoting them. I thought that finally these were marketed. I decided to actually call the two sites that I found listing them in stock only to be told they were backordered. One actually said that it was a discontinued item. Certainly a short life it that was true.

That is great. I see TomTom has stopped my "trial" traffic subscription through TomTomPlus services, but at the same time, they have not made the traffic receiver service available. You cannot even get a subscription to traffic in the U.S. at this point.

If they had any class (given how they induced sales of their product partly based on the promised service), they should continue the Plus Traffic service in the U.S. until they get their act together with respect to the receiver.

If they don't know how to set it up yet, that should just copy the routines form Garmin - it would be just become another item Garmin is suing them over..

I still have my free traffic thru the end of January 2007, according to "My Account" page on TomTom.com.

Bryan

I just picked mine up tonight and was unable to activate the traffic trial service, nor order the TomTom Plus full version. I've got a letter into support to see what they say about it.

Last edited:
Where did you purchase the TMC Receiver?
The traffic trial service is different from the RDS TMC.
Keep us updated.

Where did you purchase the TMC Receiver?
The traffic trial service is different from the RDS TMC.
Keep us updated.

Sorry, that was really poor word choice on my part. :( I meant to say that I picked up the 910 last night.

But I just finished up with support.

The TMC receiver service for the US is still in discussion unfortunately. From what I was told, there has been no definitive timeframe for its release in the US.

The TomTom Plus free trial should be extended until March 2007 due to TomTom still building out the service (which is why you are unable to purchase it from the website at this time). She wasn't able to tell me what the US pricing for it would be though once the trial period was ended.

Last edited:
No Problem. Thanks for clearing it up. So according to TT Support, TT Plus is still for free until March. I know the latest firmwire allowed the TMC receiver software to be compatible with the US. I wonder if Europe users with the TMC have brought thier unit here to NA and used it.

Good question Pedro ! I had found a new unit through TomTom's direct link to internet vendors. I am wondering if this a "gray market" imported unit and if so, will it work in/when TomTom gets their TMC act together. If not, want to cancel the order. If it will work - will try it out and let everyone know I doubt it is accessible here yet (unless they are testing over the air).

I still think the problem is their getting is set up without requiring a monthly fee as promised.

In the meantime, my "trial" version expired. and i have not been ebale to get it re-enabled through their Plus services - either on-line or through wireless/bluetooth connection.

Hallo to everybody,
as far as I know TMC services in the United States have just started up by XM Satellite Radio countrywide, whereas Sirius Satellite Radio announced it. I believe you all have to wait for quite some time. But don't worry be happy, 'cause the quality of the service is not gold but lead. In Germany we have freeTMC and payTMC. By now TomTom supports freeTMC only. Anyway, in europe TomTom still has enourmus problems with the firmware implemented tmc software which is not yet solved even with FW 6.522. I recommend strongly to wait a while even if TomTom announces start of service in the USA by tommorow.
Oskar

Good information, Oskar, thank you. Seems my traffic subscription just expired, and I would have seriously considered purchasing a TMC receiver. I think I'll just sit tight and wait for others to be the guinea pig for awhile. :)

Thanks for the information Oskar.

Fanchee, have you tried to renew your free trial on TomTom's website?

No, how do I renew on their website? I poked around and couldn't find anything. Are you talking about resetting my account? I did find information on that, but wasn't sure if it applied. I sent support an email asking about it.

Mine had expired also. I called into support, and they had to get permission from a supervisor to re-activate it. It works again OK.

Also got response to question to their site. they think (again...) that mid-late 1st quarter for the receiver. Based on what Oskar below says - don't hold your breath -this has apparently been on-going for almost a year already.

Ok, I reset it and will try it out this afternoon on my way to LAX. Will report back. I have not heard back from support on it yet.

Ask a Question