TomTom vs Garmin

I looked at a Garmin GPS unit last week, a Numi something or other. Seemed nice but small screen. Wondering about the higher end TomTom units...how do they compare?

I use only a mac computer...is this going to be a problem for any use with this unit?

Thanks,
Nick

Hi Nick,

I currently have a Nuvi 660 and also a TomTom ONE and 910. I travel for a living and am in a different state just about every week. Here are my thoughts on your question, for what they are worth. :)

At this moment, the navteq maps seem to be better for the US. That's the main reason I have a Nuvi. I like the unit alot, but I prefer TomTom's interface and map screen. The Nuvi seems to have a much more accurate time of arrival, and it has a few features not found on the TomTom, such as travel guide, calculator, langauge translator, etc. I never use these features, but some people may.

I've been a longtime TomTom fan. I started with the Go 700 and used it for a few months. The maps weren't great, so I returned that and got the Nuvi. I got a really great price on the new ONE so picked that up recently as well, to compare how far TomTom has come. The maps are much better, and with the new maps being released in the next few weeks, I am very hopeful the TomTom will be my unit of choice.

Both are mac-compatible, but you have to go through a few hoops to update the Garmin's firmware using a mac. Garmin promises mac compatibility in the future, but right now they don't support it. There are ways around it, though, so that you are able to update firmware and even load voices and POI using a mac.

TomTom is fully mac compatible. The only real downside is that you can't control your device from TomTom HOME like fellow Windows users can. That feature is not supported on the mac yet.

I really like both Garmin and TomTom. I love TomTom's interface and the map display screen (gotta love that next turn arrow that's missing from Garmin!) but as of today, Garmin's maps are better. Again, I'm hoping this gets resolved with the new map updates.

Hope this helps you!

For what it's worth... I subscribe to comsumerreports.org and get the magazine.
CR's take: None of the navigation systems we've tested is perfect. They don't substitute for local knowledge, and all databases had minor errors. But a portable system will usually get you there, providing peace of mind when traveling to unfamiliar areas. The highest-rated models make it especially easy to input destinations and give the most helpful directions.

In general, systems differ primarily in how convenient they are to program and use. Some features, such as touch screens, comprehensive nationwide maps, and increased portability, add to utility. Other features, such as the ability to store and play MP3 music files and display photos or telephone text messages, are mainly frills.

I hope the following image doesn't violate any rules.....
(taken just know from my subscription)
cr_gps_picks_dec_2006.jpg

Last edited:
Nice article, thanks for sharing! Now I'll never be able to decide which one to keep... :)

I've been taking them both on my trips and comparing. Well, so far this year I've only had one trip to NY. Next week going to CA so will compare there.

I really do like the text-to-speech feature of the Nuvi. But I much prefer the look and feel of the TomTom.

I think the 910 has text-to-speech...

But I like the looks of the ONE. Besides, I've done sooooooo much more to my ONE that it's almost a 910 now!

Hard to believe I've only had this thing 1 week!

Well don't laugh too hard, but I actually have the 910 also. I'm comparing the units over the next few weeks. I do travel for a living and having the best tool is important to me. I really am having a hard time deciding... but my heart is with the ONE right now. I LOVE the form factor, and that is trumping the text-to-speech. At least today it is. Ask me again tomorrow. :)

I hear ya. I wanted the Garmin Nuvi 350....

Until I read the Consumer Reports and did some of my own research. I think the form factor of the other TomToms just puts me off. I like the looks of the ONE. But I'm loving the features!!!

This was my 'in' into the GPS PNDs. I think I may just stay with it.

Ask a Question