TomTom V3

Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds unless your model has a dedicated reset hole.

The battery may have been faulty. Just because you see a green light does not necessarily mean the device is being charged.

@dhn
It could also be faulty charging circuitry (the old diode problem or charging IC).
@David Williams
The green light means only that power is successfully delivered to the V3, not that the V3 is able to do what it should with that power.
If you've already opened up your V3 and are comfortable with the process, then do so again, and have a look at at the main board. In particular, look for a diode (indicated by designator D1 or D5 or similar) that is toasted. On many of the older models, it will be D5.

canderson , I think you my have hit the nail on the head .I took the back off again and took a couple of pics. What do you think?

Attachments

• SAM_0903.JPG
    SAM_0903.JPG
    813.2 KB · Views: 875
  • SAM_0904.JPG
    SAM_0904.JPG
    795.2 KB · Views: 678
Yup. That one is toast. These things run on smoke. If you let the smoke out ...

Can be replaced with comparably sized 5.6V SMT zener diode if you are handy with an iron. There's a fair chance that it will JUST be the diode and not the charge regulation IC as well, so it's worth replacing the diode to see how it goes.

Did you fix it, i have the same problem, what is the diode value on this model and which way up does it go ? Did you have to change the LTC3455 chips also ?

Thanks

TAP

Note above .. 5.6V. Not sure of precise current rating, but the highest that matches the package size is a good plan.

Ask a Question