TomTom Traffic via Smartphone: How's It Working?

TomTom Model(s)
XL 340 TM Live
Hi, all --

I'm considering getting a 60S, in large part because I'm interested in the TomTom Traffic via Smartphone. I'm especially interested in the claim of 99.9% road coverage (http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/services/traffic/#Coverage). We just went through an especially painful road construction season in my home town, and it would have been nice to know which roads were out of service and suggest alternatives.

I didn't see any threads discussing this in depth. Can anybody provide some comment on whether / how well it's working?

Earble

The traffic data you see on your 340 Live should indicate the level of coverage for the Live system, which is what also feeds the phone/unit connection if you buy one of these new units.
If you don't have a subscription for your 340, you can see what traffic looks like on the Live system by using Home's "Show traffic" feature, or going directly to http://livetraffic.tomtom.com/

Tearing up 17, are they? Give my regards to Pat Mitchell's!

I find the Tomtom traffic to be far better than anything that came before it. It covers 99% of roads. It gets main roads right 99% of the time, and small sidestreets right about 60% of the time. Nothing before it ever came close.

However in the past 6 months I found Google responded by upping their traffic quality. Also covering 99% of roads and getting main roads right 99% of the time. However I'd say google gets small roads right 90% of the time, and they do an especially good job at rush hour.

Tomtom has a much better driving interface than Google, but when comparing traffic accuracy in the USA Google can't be beat.

Tearing up 17, are they? Give my regards to Pat Mitchell's!

canderson,

They are tearing up 17, in preparation to make it part of I-86. But I'm referring to the reconstruction of Riverside Drive, which has diverted the traffic to Leroy Street. I would hope that a traffic service that covers 99.9% of the roads would notice the jams on Leroy.

And alas, Pat Mictchell's is no more. I'm disappointed that they closed before I had a chance to try them...

Thanks for the input,
earble

I find the Tomtom traffic to be far better than anything that came before it. It covers 99% of roads. It gets main roads right 99% of the time, and small sidestreets right about 60% of the time. Nothing before it ever came close.

However in the past 6 months I found Google responded by upping their traffic quality. Also covering 99% of roads and getting main roads right 99% of the time. However I'd say google gets small roads right 90% of the time, and they do an especially good job at rush hour.

Tomtom has a much better driving interface than Google, but when comparing traffic accuracy in the USA Google can't be beat.

Thanks, mvl. I do have Google Maps on my Android phone, but find I still prefer the stand-alone GPS. I'll probably give the 60S a go.

earble

Ask a Question