TomTom starts up on "error" screen - help please

My regular computer which I've been using to update GPS quick fix and map share files died, so I installed Tom Tom Home on another computer (XP Home, same as dead computer).
I connected my XL340S and it said I needed to update the application, quickfix GPS and mapshare files. I clicked ok.

Then...
error wriing F;\antitheft.bmp
So no other files could be uploaded. I disconnected Tom Tom, closed the Home program, restarted the computer and tried again.

This time... "can not create F:\data.chk"
Disconnected and reconnected Tom Tom again. It searched for needed updates, snd started the process, then...

error writing f:\tthome.bif
and then
can not create f:\ephem

Now when I turn on my Tom Tom I get the screen showing a picture of the Tom Tom and a big flashing red circle with an "X".

How can I fix?

I do have the oriiginal backup on an external hard drive.

Thanks

I think for starters.........

Format the tomtom drive. Don't use quickformat.

Then restore your backup.

While I was waiting for an answer from this forum, I called Tom Tom support and surprisingly I was on hold for less than 5 minutes. The tech was very patient and very friendly and instructed me to basically do the same thing.

Since the computer I had originally done a Tom Tom backup on had recently died, he had me copy over the Loquendo (?) file and the map file, format the Tom Tom and copy those files back to the Tom Tom. Copying over those files took a bit of time and the rep was patient in waiting for them to copy over. He then told me how to format the Tom Tom and copy the files back to it. He also looked up my warranty info and told me if that didn't solve the problem they would replace my device.

Fortunately the fix worked and all is well again. I consider my experience with Tom Tom support to be excellent.

Thanks for this

This is the same exact problem I was having, thanks for this post, I'm glad I wasn't the only one

Ask a Question