TomTom one xl won't power up??

My one xl won't power up when unpluged. If I plug it in it powers up fine and I can then unplug it and use it no problem. The battery has a full charge and it is set to keep screen on at all times in the battery preferances screen. Any ideas??

this worked for me. it came from another post on these forums.

remove memory card (is there 1 on the xl ?). on the bottom of the unit do a reset. insert card and turn on. hope this works.

ok I have been reading some other posts (i'm new here) and realized I should have created a back up on either an SD card or on my computer. since I have already installed tomtom home on my computer how do I creat a back up? I am assuming I should not hit reset without the back up or I'll lose my map, right?

use tomtom home to backup your XL.

i think you can do the reset safely without the backup though, because reset if just like doing a hard boot of your pc.

From Tomtom web site:

Question
My TomTom device won?t turn on. How can I reset my device?
Answer

If you have problems turning on your TomTom device, try resetting it. This is considered a soft reset and will not delete any data.

Tip: Also, try resetting your device if it is behaving abnormally.

If you are able, please connect your TomTom device to it's charger during the reset.

To reset your TomTom device:

1. Charge your device.

Charge your device for at least 2 hours. Make sure the charging light on your device is on (except RIDER which has no charging light).

2. Remove the SD card.

If your device uses an SD card, remove it.

3. Reset your device.
Use a straightened paper clip, or something similar, to push the reset button. For a visual representation of the reset button, see below.

4. Turn your device on.
Press and hold the On/Off button for at least 4 full seconds.

5. Insert the SD card.
If your device uses an SD card, insert the SD card.

ok I have been reading some other posts (i'm new here) and realized I should have created a back up on either an SD card or on my computer. since I have already installed tomtom home on my computer how do I creat a back up? I am assuming I should not hit reset without the back up or I'll lose my map, right?

dansjeep2000 I would make a back up using windows explorer as well as one with home.

Regards Boardboy

Ask a Question