Tomtom One 3rd Edition western europe map Help me please

Hi,

I've got tomtom One 3rd Edition which is the one with out memory stick it ihas just 1 GB.

the Map i've is UK map and i would like to get western europeMpa which is the one include Uk and most of europ.

I've never download a map before and i don't know how to download it and install map the map into the gps.

and I'm looking for the Speed cameras please

I wish if you could help me

I'M REALLY SORRY AFTER I SUBMET I DIDN'T KNOW I ROAT western union.

i'm looking for western europe

Thanx alot

Last edited:
I hanged the title of your thread --- :D

Okay,

1. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. If not sure how, see here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

2. After making sure you do have the backup on your computer, use Explorer to remove the UK map folder from your unit.

3. Connect your unit to Home. Go to Add Maps. Select the Western_Europe map (it should show as about 882 MB for your unit. But if you can wait a week or so, I would since the 850 map is due thereabouts.

4. Once you select the Western_Europe map and go through the purchase process, it should Home should download the map to your computer and then install on your unit.

5. If all goes well, make ANOTHER Explorer backup, this time to a different folder on your computer.

If the speed cameras you have on the UK map are an ov2 file, they can be copied from your original Explorer backup to the Western_Europe map folder on the unit.

Thank you

Hi,

Thank you so much for answer my qouistion.

I would like to ask if there are any aother way to download the map to be for free,

like from torrent or somthing like this

thank yo

Read the announcement at the top of every forum concerning the discussion of warez sites, hacked software, etc.

Why should you get it for free (it's called 'stealing' by the way) when others pay?

sorry

Hi,

You are right but the thing is to expinsive to buy. any way

Thank you so much for your help

last quistion, when i want to but speed camera for any country do i have to buy it every year or just updatae it like maps

HiI've got a TT One 3rd Edition GB & Ireland. Never thogugh I would need to use Western Europe, but have moved and am going on hols to France. So, i'd like to update to Wetern Europe, but only have 1/2 Mb memory. Is it possible given map size DHN says?

Hang about...... :rant:

Go to TomTom UK site, map shop
- enter ONE 3rd Edition in the box.
go to "Europe, Middle East & Africa"
Scroll down PAST the "recommended" one for West Europe (which is too big :rolleyes:) and go to "All maps".
There you'll find one for France only - France v8.70 Download size 309.8 MB

This link might take you straight there:
Maps - TomTom

That should work, but you'll need to remove the UK maps before you get Home to install the map.
(by moving the entire 'UK and Ireland' map folder off onto your PC for safe keeping)

Thanks Andy and DHN. I didn't think it would be possible at all. The dilemma now is whether to go mapless to/from Dover and then have to reload the maps which I'm too confident about. I've backed up everything on the TomTom to my PC. How would I re-install the UK & ROI maps (and keep the expensive French map)?

When you want to restore the UK & ROI map to the unit, you would use Explorer to copy the France map to the computer and the folder called maps if there is one, then you would remove the France map from the unit (once you are sure it does reside on the computer).

Next, you would use Explorer to copy the UK map to the unit and the maps folder which contains the .tlv file.

By the way just checked and according to my PC I have 289 Mb free space on my TomTom. France map is 309MB so only 20 Mb difference. Is there anything else I can delete to free up the 20Mb so I could have both UK & France maps.

There is a lot on voices, 48.6Mb, with a lot of data**.chk files - description 'Recovered file fragment' which is big and seemingly associated data**.vif file of only approx. 60 bytes. I only use a couple of voices, but not sure how to identify which ones on the PC.

If I could free up enough space -with your help of course - could I add France to work with UK&ROI?

The 'recovered file fragments' is misleading. Windows interprets .chk files as fragments BUT the TomTom application is linux based and, as such, has a completely different use for .chk files.

If you go to Home, Manage my DEvice (second page, purple folder), Device tab, Voices folder, you can select voices for removal there. So, remove all but the one you use and see if there is enough room then.

But make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your units contents before doing anything. Just in case.

The UK voice files are:

data04.chk
data04.vif
data05.chk
data05.vif

You can simply delete all the others from the voices folder, this should free up enough space so you can install both the UK and French maps at the same time.

On the device to switch between maps you need to select Change Preferences/ Manage Maps/ Switch Map then select either the French or UK map as required - Mike

Thanks Guys. Mike do the UK voices in data04 include the Irish voices? I like Cathy as I'm from NI

No, each dataxx file is a single voice.
For example data04 is English Tim and data05 is English Jane

From one of my backups, I can tell you that
English(Irish) - Sean is data161.chk

English(Irish) - Kathy (with a K :)) is a bit more complicated...
I have and Kathy 'v1' from my Go720 which is s data119.chk
and also Kathy 'v7' from my Go940 which is is is data162.chk but my notes say "missing destination" whatever that means!

Ask a Question