Tomtom ONE 3rd edition, completely dead?

hey, ive got a tomtom one3rd edition, i was updating it, once the update was complete, i tried turning it on, but it just shows me the red flashing X, ive got backup of all the files on it, but now the point is that windows wont even let me to access it from my computer, it says ''You need to format the disk in drive G: before you can use it.'' So i try to format it using FAT32, it takes about 1 hour, and at the end it says ''Windows was unable to complete the format'' :( any ideas?

Try selecting a different format (fat16?). I think fat32 is relevant for x20 models and higher. And is it a sd card you're trying to format or the internal memory of the unit, itself?

its the internal memory, and theres only these format options: NTFS, FAT(default), FAT32, exFAT

I'm curious.....can you access the drive using Explorer? If so, can you write a sample (text) file to the drive?

Try selecting a different format (fat16?). I think fat32 is relevant for x20 models and higher. And is it a sd card you're trying to format or the internal memory of the unit, itself?

For what it's worth, my internal memory, on my ONE XL-S, came formatted FAT32 from the factory...

For what it's worth, my internal memory, on my ONE XL-S, came formatted FAT32 from the factory...

Yea, I noticed that when I used to have my ONE XL.. When the internal memory was corrupting, I went to wipe it out by formatting, and noticed that it was defaulted to Fat32 since that was it's current state. I just formatted to regular fat and had no problems.

hey, ive got a tomtom one3rd edition, i was updating it, once the update was complete, i tried turning it on, but it just shows me the red flashing X, ive got backup of all the files on it, but now the point is that windows wont even let me to access it from my computer, it says ''You need to format the disk in drive G: before you can use it.'' So i try to format it using FAT32, it takes about 1 hour, and at the end it says ''Windows was unable to complete the format'' :( any ideas?

I have the exact same problem I was told in order to create more space you need to format your Tom Tom.

I did back up my Tom Tom files but I now cannot access the Tom Tom drive which is rely annoying.

I formatted the drive using FAT not FAT 32 (could not do FAT 16).

I also could not update my Tom Tom one 3rd edition using Tom Tom home.

it comes up with disk drive J not formatted.

I keep re formatting the drive its allways unable too

chkdsk is that a program tool used for checking ur computer system?

I may have it if not will you be able to provide the download link?

"Can you run chkdsk /f on the drive?"

how do i do this

Last edited:
My only other suggestion is to try to connect the unit using a different usb port, preferably one on the back of the computer.

I'm sorry I could not assist you ....... try support at 866-486-6866.

Good luck..

My TomTom One 3rd Edition disk became corrupted while performing updates using TomTom HOME. All I had was the notorious flashing red X in the lower right corner of the screen. Instructions on TomTom's support webpage gave instruction to format the TomTom's memory. It refused to format normally. I found a tip on other forums about using the DOS format command and it successfully formatted the TomTom memory.

I opened the CMD window and changed the directory to C:/windows/sytem32. Then I ran the command C:\WINDOWS\system32>Format G: /FS:FAT32
(My TomTom showed up as "G:" drive)
Below is the dialog captured from the screen of the format process:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>format g: /FS:FAT32
Insert new disk for drive G:
and press ENTER when ready...
The type of the file system is RAW.
The new file system is FAT32.
Verifying 980M
Initializing the File Allocation Table (FAT)...
Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)?
Format complete.

1,025,581,056 bytes total disk space.
1,025,576,960 bytes available on disk.

4,096 bytes in each allocation unit.
250,385 allocation units available on disk.

32 bits in each FAT entry.

Volume Serial Number is 9433-C49F

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

After that I copied the files in the backup directory I had made when I originally connected the TomTom to my computer and rebooted the TomTom. I used Windows Explorer to copy the files. The TomTom came up operating just as if nothing had happened.

My shows that you know something

C:\WINDOWS\system32>format k: /FS:FAT32
Insert new disk for drive K:
and press ENTER when ready...
The type of the file system is RAW.
The new file system is FAT32.
Verifying 980M
Initializing the File Allocation Table (FAT)...
Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)?
Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable.

Last edited:
Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable.

If you get that error, most likely the flash ram is damaged.

Try another computer and USB cable to rule out a bad computer/cable (unlikely).

If you still have a problem, the device needs to be sent in for warranty repair. I out of warranty, you're out of luck.

Ask a Question