TomTom One 2nd Edition VS TomTom One 3rd Edition

So, guys I'm having a lot of problems here trying to find out what the difference is between the TomTom ONE 2nd Edition and the TomTom ONE 3rd Edition. I'm also having a lot of trouble confirming how the TomTom stores it's maps. If it's internal memory, how much is it. Whatever it is... What if a new map comes out that won't fit on the internal memory? Then what... I currently have a TomTom GO and want the TomTom One for it's smaller size. I'm also concerned which one has the latest maps, and if it doesn't have the latest maps whether or not it would be a free download since the device would be brand new. I think my biggest problem here is the difference between the 2nd and 3rd edition, and why the 3rd is $50 cheaper... And what memory it has.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules....so, here's a excerpt from engadget.com

" Looking to keep all its bases covered, TomTom's now followed up its just-announced high-end Go 920 T navigator with the decidedly lower-end TomTom ONE 3rd Edition. From the looks of it, the big additions this time around are support for TomTom's Map Share technology (previously seen on the company's higher-end units), a new "enhanced UI," and a new "HELP ME!" feature, which apparently includes everything from directions to the nearest hospital to car maintenance information to first aid instructions. Otherwise, you'll get the same 3.5-inch touchscreen as before, along with 1GB of internal memory, an RDS-TMC connector, and leather case and strap to "protect you TomTom device in style." Look for this one to be available sometime next month for the budget-friendly price of $249 "

The ONE V3 has the Navcore 7 firmwire installed with the new maps to allow map share. Cons: No SD card slot because the internal memory is small!

Yeah.. basically it has no SD card slot and instead of a black casing, it's a silver casing.

That's all I've noticed.

The ONE V3 has the Navcore 7 firmwire installed with the new maps to allow map share. Cons: No SD card slot because the internal memory is small!
Wow, that's a downer! No room for another map when taking it to another part of the world. Glad I got in on V2, as that was an important part of it for me.

I think the biggest CON is what Pedro mentioned, is the lack of SD card. You have to deal with being confined to the internal memory only. There is no chance of being able to install larger maps like North America, where older ONE's can.

That is pretty lame. I love the extra SD card for some extra map storage headway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Another way of telling the difference is at first glance the v3 has a silver face plate whereas the v2 is black.

As I understand the v3's have been released. One of the members mentions purchasing it in Wal-Mart.

As I understand the v3's have been released. One of the members mentions purchasing it in Wal-Mart.
Ah yes, Victoria's post at https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=3186. She apparently bought it before it had even been announced! Maybe it had been shipped early so it would be ready for the announcement, and the store neglected to wait.

The situation in the US appears to be that quite a lot of places are selling V2s at a deep discount ($200 at Staples), apparently to clear their inventory in preparation for the V3s.

I looked at the V2 and V3 specs at TomTom's site, and they made no mention of SD slot in the V2 description. I guess they didn't want to invite comparisons.

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, but I have a question, Will the V2 of the ONE will support RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver? I going to buy one or should I just get the V3?

Thank you.

New Tom Tom One V2 Better Maps?

I just got a new V2 and I have a few questions about maps. The V2 comes with a built in map of US and Canada. My V2 does have an SD slot so I wonder if I buy a downloadable map or an SD card from Ebay if the maps on the SD card (also for US and Canada) have a lot more detail than the maps that come preloaded.

I also wonder if the regional map (as compared to the larger US/Can map) will have more or the same detail for a given region.

Also please tell me the best place to buy maps (lowest price)

Thanks
Pat

So, guys I'm having a lot of problems here trying to find out what the difference is between the TomTom ONE 2nd Edition and the TomTom ONE 3rd Edition. I'm also having a lot of trouble confirming how the TomTom stores it's maps. If it's internal memory, how much is it. Whatever it is... What if a new map comes out that won't fit on the internal memory? Then what... I currently have a TomTom GO and want the TomTom One for it's smaller size. I'm also concerned which one has the latest maps, and if it doesn't have the latest maps whether or not it would be a free download since the device would be brand new. I think my biggest problem here is the difference between the 2nd and 3rd edition, and why the 3rd is $50 cheaper... And what memory it has.

go to www.tomtom.com/plusservice.php?ID=17&1=4

Besides mapshare and looking a little different, any other difference between V2 and V3? Won't Navcore 7 be available as an update (free) anyway to V2 purchaser's? Thanks (Deciding whether to buy V2 now on sale or wait for V3)

Ask a Question