TomTom One 2nd Ed - No Power at All

Hi all, I bought a couple of these, they are shop returns so got them cheap. But they both have the same problem, they will not turn on at all.

When plugged into the USB or car cig jack, all I get is a green light next to the On button. I have tried holding reset in for 15-30 seconds and also tried holding the On button on for 5 - 10 seconds, but still, nothing on screen at all.

Any idea's anyone?

Thanks in advance

Hi all, I bought a couple of these, they are shop returns so got them cheap. But they both have the same problem, they will not turn on at all.

When plugged into the USB or car cig jack, all I get is a green light next to the On button. I have tried holding reset in for 15-30 seconds and also tried holding the On button on for 5 - 10 seconds, but still, nothing on screen at all.

Any idea's anyone?

Thanks in advance

Try just leaving them plugged into the usb for a couple of hours to try to charge the battery. Then try to turn them on.

DHN has a very good suggestion. The batteries are probably drained totally and they'll need a good charge to be able to start the first time, EVEN if you are directly plugged into a USB port.

Also, make sure for the first booting that you don't have any SD card in the slot. These units are a tad flakey with the SD card slot and there is a certain procedure to follow when you insert the SD card...:
1) Power on Unit withOUT SD card
2) Once unit boots, plug in SD card
3) Once unit reboots with SD card plugged in, press the hard RESET button on the bottom of the unit
4) Unit should now boot fine with SD card and for followon boots. The RESET should only be needed the first time. Without the RESET, the unit will appear to not want to boot with SD card in the slot.

Thanks very much for your replies. I tried leaving it plugged into the USB for at least 2 hours yesterday, and also left it plugged into the car overnight but it's still the same. The SD card was removed when I tried it too :(

Thanks very much for your replies. I tried leaving it plugged into the USB for at least 2 hours yesterday, and also left it plugged into the car overnight but it's still the same. The SD card was removed when I tried it too :(

Have you tried the following with the RESET button?
1) Press and HOLD the power button
2) While still HOLDING the power button, press the RESET button on the bottom of the unit
3) Release the Power button
4) Press the power button for at least 3 secs and see if the unit turns on

You might want to try this procedure with the unit plugged into a power source.

Hi, I have tried that but to no avail. Green light stays on while plugged into USB or car but nothing on screen at all. There is no green light if I disconnect the USB or car lead.

Here is some info about known battery problem with your unit...

Any idea's anyone?

Thanks in advance

Back in October '07, I had a very similar problem. Look at this thread. You're not alone!

Not exactly same, but similar issue ...

I have a similar issue with the my TTOne power button. I cannot turn it on at all unless it is plugged in & have power running (ie, car is running, or computer is on)

Once I have it turned on via one of the above method, I can unplug it and it will stay on. The battery level is normal, and so is depletion rate appears normal when I use it without plugging in. Once I turned the unit off, I cannot turn it on again.

Do you think it is also battery related, or perhaps it is the unit ? I haven't tried to reset the unit yet, do you think this will help ?

Thnx
V

EDIT: Whoops ... just read a lower post. Seems like I'm not the only one

Last edited:
I have a similar issue with the my TTOne power button. I cannot turn it on at all unless it is plugged in & have power running (ie, car is running, or computer is on)

Once I have it turned on via one of the above method, I can unplug it and it will stay on. The battery level is normal, and so is depletion rate appears normal when I use it without plugging in. Once I turned the unit off, I cannot turn it on again.

Do you think it is also battery related, or perhaps it is the unit ? I haven't tried to reset the unit yet, do you think this will help ?

Thnx
V

EDIT: Whoops ... just read a lower post. Seems like I'm not the only one

Follow the RESET sequence above....once you've done a hard RESET with the button on the bottom of the unit, it should boot without being plugged in...

DHN has a very good suggestion. The batteries are probably drained totally and they'll need a good charge to be able to start the first time, EVEN if you are directly plugged into a USB port.

Also, make sure for the first booting that you don't have any SD card in the slot. These units are a tad flakey with the SD card slot and there is a certain procedure to follow when you insert the SD card...:
1) Power on Unit withOUT SD card
2) Once unit boots, plug in SD card
3) Once unit reboots with SD card plugged in, press the hard RESET button on the bottom of the unit
4) Unit should now boot fine with SD card and for followon boots. The RESET should only be needed the first time. Without the RESET, the unit will appear to not want to boot with SD card in the slot.
Thanks for this, followed the instructions to the letter and now my TT2 is working fine. :D :D

Ask a Question