TomTom New Edition Problem Post 7.162 Upgrade

Problem: No satellites detected in standalone mode, remote control with Home works fine.

I just got my TTNE, loaded Home, the software ran a bunch of updates, along with 7.162.

When I restarted after the update, the system gave me the Bad SD card graphic. I hit the reset and tried again, with no luck.

I thought I had a good backup, but was wrong.

I copied all my data off the SD, and tried a file check under Windows. That finished, but didn't make a difference. It did recover some bad data though, and put it in the file0000 folder.

I started searching the forum, and found the archive from OldMan with an earlier version. I copied these files to the root of the SD, and the system would boot, but not find any satellites. Although Home would work fine while on remote control.

I started copying the same files from my archive, that were in the OldMan .zip, and found that I needed his DATA.CHK and TTSYSTEM files in order to get the system to boot, but the rest of my original files were copied back to the SD with no apparent effect on the system.

Since it would boot, I connected with Home and took a backup, so I could feel free to try the 7.162 upgrade again. This time it went off without a hitch, but it still will not pick up any satellites in stand alone mode.

Also, I get one color of map, grey, no matter what I choose...

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Last edited:
One thing to point out is this: TomTom's operating system is NOT Windows based. By that, I mean that the file name extension of .chk, which Windows interprets as a file fragment (and which you probably are referring to when you said it put such files in a new folder) are NOT problematic files in TomTom. In fact, the necessary voice files end with .chk. This may be part of the problem you are having.

Sounds like the issue you are having is that your TomTom is having a hard time locating the satellites. The QuickGPSFix data is supposed to assist with this issue by telling the TomTom where the satellites are from week to week. I suspect your QuickGPSFix data is corrupted.

On your TomTom, locate the /ephem/ folder (this is where the QuickGPSFix data is stored). Delete any files that are in this folder.

Startup TomTom HOME and then click on the "UPDATE MY ONE" button. Home should recognize you are missing the QuickGPSFix data and allow you to download the latest update.

Are you indoors?

I hate to ask the obvious, but are you trying to use your unit in stand alone mode indoors, where it can't physically pick up any sats and get the gray screen? Have you tried it in the great outdoors? :p

It seems that most uints work just fine out of the box, but when we all plug into HOME of any version, the updates seem to "break" them. :mad:

Thanks to all....

dhn - Old Man's .zip file contained the following files. Once I extracted them to the root of the TT, I was able to boot. Then I tried to find which actual file(s) were causing the problem by copying my originals back to the device. I wasn't able to find a post describing what the files did. Voice seems to work Ok though..

data.chk - I had to use the one from oldMan's .zip in order to boot.
install.bif - I did not have one of these in my original file, I used the one from the .zip
libaec.so - My original did not make a difference when copied back, still booted.
suspend.bmp - My original did not make a difference when copied back, still booted.
system - My original did not make a difference when copied back, still booted.
ttn - I did not have one of these in my original file, I used the one from the .zip.
ttsystem - I had to use the one from oldMan's .zip in order to boot.

Birdman - Files deleted, QuickGPSFix reloaded, new files in place - No luck...

Blister72 - It did work straight out of the box, both inside and out. I thought about the indoors issue, so I sat outside for an hour to see if it would acquire the satellites after a reset.... No luck...

Tim

Update - Satellites acquired, so far all appears well. I'll test it on the way to work.

Last night I had reloaded the ephemeris fix, without deleting the old files. The system did not work, inside or out (after sixty minutes).

This morning, I reloaded the GPSFix after deleting the existing files, and it did not acquire the sats indoors. Taking Blister72's advice, I powered it off, did a reset, and went back outside. When I powered back on, it took 60-seconds and acquired 12-satellites.

So far so good...... One things for sure, the first thing I'm doing is taking a backup.

Tim

Update - Satellites acquired, so far all appears well. I'll test it on the way to work.

Last night I had reloaded the ephemeris fix, without deleting the old files. The system did not work, inside or out (after sixty minutes).

This morning, I reloaded the GPSFix after deleting the existing files, and it did not acquire the sats indoors. Taking Blister72's advice, I powered it off, did a reset, and went back outside. When I powered back on, it took 60-seconds and acquired 12-satellites.

So far so good...... One things for sure, the first thing I'm doing is taking a backup.

Tim

Good to hear that you have things in working order. It definitely sounds as if it is functioning correctly now.

Ask a Question