tomtom mkII

hi everyone
first posting. Ihave got a tomtom mkII that I managed to install on my laptop via the build in bluetooth(asus nj61 running on windows7).have also the igo maps on sd and dvd.just cannot get it all to work together.any help greatly appreciated.
cheers,jonathan

I don't know what you mean by tomtom mkII but only legitimate tomtom maps are meant to run on tomtom products.

mkII

tomtom mkII is an older gps without screen or maps,designed to hook it up to a mobile or laptop(had to google it up myself)correct me if I'm wrong but are't the igo maps the main software for tomtom?
cheers,jonathan

They are not. Only TomTom maps gotten from TomTom are meant to run on all TT devices.

From that review, it says
Back to the TomTom MkII. Turn on PDA, activate Bluetooth, turn on the receiver (hold ON/OFF button down for about 3 seconds), start the GPS
navigation software of your choice (the receiver works with other programs just as well, not just TomTom),

So the TomTom Mk2 is just a GPS receiver and you can use it with the navigation software of your choice.

If you have iGo maps (from somewhere), do you have the iGo application to go with them?
I think that's what you need to get any further with them, buying Tomtom maps will be of no use to you unless you also have a TomTom application that runs on a PC.

Te best bet might be an open-source or shareware navigation programs that use Open Street Map mapping, (if there are such things!)

Follow up

hi again
downloaded shonkymaps (like garmin topo maps but better according to 4x4 forums),then franson gps gate.this put the output of the tomtom mkII into (amongst other options) a generic garmin gps.
downloaded nroute and mapsource,linked everything together and have now really good offroad maps of the whole of Oz on the laptop.just tested it(live myself a bit in the sticks) and it works perfect, just like a road based satnav but with more (off road) based options and info.
ps 1 the tomtom ,though a few tears old is amazing,out of curiosity I put it in the semy enclosed ashtray and it didn't miss a beat.
2 the whole set up cost me ,obviously without the laptop,less than 30 $,this includes a spare tomtom II and charger
cheers,jonathan

Ask a Question