TomTom Map Update Update

TomTom Model(s)
I just wanted to post that some of us recent 910 purchasers may be getting the map update for free later this year. I bought my 910 in July and asked TT Support if I would be elligle for the map update later this year. They got back to me in under 24hrs and said that I would get the update for free as long as I pay for shipping ($6.00). I must say that rocks that they are not gonna charge me , honestly I would have paid $50.00 for the update.

And who says good customer service is gone.

Not to be a pessimist, but I don't see how they're going to do that unless they do it for all recent TomTom GO buyers, regardless of model. For example, I very recently purchased my TomTom GO700, so why wouldn't I receive a free update as well?

I suspect they'll have to charge at least a minor fee across the board.

I am not sure how they intend on handing out upgrades. It would not make that much business sense to give it away to everyone who ever bougt a tomtom device. But maybe they have a way of knowing when you bought the device based on when you registered it, or by the serial number.

Not sure.

Im guessing they will do it by serial number located below the unit. This is how they did the free x10 replacement mount process.

A serial number won't prove when you purchased it, which is about the only way they can do a free map update that's reasonably fair. If they going to do a free update for recent TomTom buyers (new products only, of course), then I would guess it would be almost like a rebate type of thing where you would mail in a copy of your purchase receipt.

I read elsewhere about a TomTom GO700 buyer getting a coupon for a free map update with the purchase of his GO700. So it may be that they only honor something like that.

Only time will tell, but considering how recently I purchased my GO700 (which TomTom is still selling and supporting), they better not just limit their free upgrade to the X10 series or I simply will not be happy (that's a bad thing) and they'll be hearing from me.

I recently pruchased a tt1 and received a notice in the box telling me about a free map update - by going to ...tomtom.com\usmapupdate2006 - which of course doesn't exist.

While talking to Tech Support the other day I was told that the US map update would be available on their web site in Dec and continue through the end of Jan - and that as a recent purchaser it would be free of course. When I registered with tomtom on their site there was a button for a "Register here for Extras" bubble that included free software updates that involved signing up for the newsletter.

Don't know what any of this means - not sure yet whether tomtom is a company that cares about its users or not. As Chris says, "Only time will tell...".

rhys

Last edited:
Congrats on your TT1, I am sure TT will keep its words, you just have to give this company some time, so far many of our members and TT users in NA have gotten replacements on mounts and such but just took some time. So be patient and I am sure TT will come through for you. =)

That's great news, sounds similar to what TomTom has been doing with the dropping mount replacements for 510s and 910s-- great customer service if you ask me!

tomtom finally has updated this page: http://www.tomtom.com/page.php?Page=usmapupdate

tomtom said:
New maps of the United States and Canada will be available for your TomTom GO, ONE, RIDER, and NAVIGATOR software in December 2006. Click here to sign up for our monthly newsletter and be among the first to know when this new map product is available for your TomTom.

I would like to think it was my constant nagging that made them do it :)

I received my TT1 today and saw the same card telling me I get a free update. I got the same page not found problem when I typed it in.

Hope they will still honor the update later this year.

How do I tell what version of the US maps I have and does anyone know what the latest version is?

The One has the most current maps until the end of Q4 when we will get the map upgrade. Here's the steps to check your map version. This comes from TT's site.

In the navigation view, tap the bottom right corner of the status bar, as
shown below:

mapversion.jpg

You will be taken to the Status summary screen. Tap on the application version number (bottom right corner again), as shown below:

mapversion1.jpg

As indicated below, your selected map name and version number will be displayed in this screen. In this instance, the map version is "650.1052":

mapversion2.jpg

I tried that link, and it errors with the message "text error".

PS - my map version is right between both of the above.

Map Update got 910 owners

Does anyone know if we will be seeing updates for the European and other maps we also paid for or only the north america ?

For all that get the "text error" on the page for the link on the coupon:

On the upper right side of this page is a drop-down menue..make sure you have "United States" selected here.

I always got the same error message unless I realized that the wrong country was selected.

regards

JB

Other Maps (Non-US / Europe / Australia / Hong Kong)

Does anyone know if and how one could get maps for regions other than the U.S., Europe, Australia, or Hong Kong. My list of targets includes Costa Rica, Iceland, and Turkey. I am pretty sure such maps are not available for TomTom but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks,
Eric

Ask a Question