TomTom 'Map Details'?

Hi all,

I just got my TomTom ONE a few days ago and I'm fairly happy with it. I'm used to Garmin units though so it will take a while to get used to the new interface. I also have a Garmin i3. One of the nice things about the Garmin is the 'map detail' setting. On 'high' detail the navigation map shows park boundaries, small lakes & rivers, etc... Although not really necessary for navigation, it makes the TomTom navigation map screen seem 'plain' in comparison. Is there any way to get this level of detail with the TomTom? I'm assuming not but thought I might as well check with the experts here! :D

Thanks!

hmmm, not that I'm aware of. The map is pretty much set. You can change the colours however to make certain areas stand out more (or create your own!).

Aren't the ONE's maps stripped of detail like that so that they will fit on the 1 GB internal memory. (Out of interest, is the map called 'USA/Canada' as opposed to 'North America'?)

The 910 gets the larger 'North America' map because it can handle the size.

Aren't the ONE's maps stripped of detail like that so that they will fit on the 1 GB internal memory. (Out of interest, is the map called 'USA/Canada' as opposed to 'North America'?)

The 910 gets the larger 'North America' map because it can handle the size.

Right. My unit is the new version with the 1G internal memory and the 'USA/Cananda' map. Sigh..I bet they removed the 'map detail' to save space. If true, that really sucks..they certainly don't tell you about that! So your 910 with the larger map does have the 'map details' ( park boundaries, etc..) included?

On another note, I also noticed that the maps in my area seem to have REALLY old data. Some roads that have been there for 4 years or more are not even there. I did verify that my unit has the most recent map data.

Digging thru some other posts I found the following:

That is not quite correct. USA and Canda is using a stripped map. Most of the stripping is topographic details (lakes, small rivers etc.), but also some smaller roads are removed to fit under the 1GB limit!

I think I need to order the North America maps and go from there..bummer.

Ask a Question