TomTom Go 720 Freezes

Hi, I had my tomtom and used it normally, One day i turned it on and it stuck with a green screen, a picture of the tomtom and a small hard disk picture at the bottom right. When i connect to the pc TomTom home does not recognize it and cannot format, read or write files on the internal memory. Since i have no backup i tried to download different navcore versions and tried to boot it from an sd card but when it detects the sd card, a bar at the bottom of the tomtom is filled gradually and then the gps stucks at the tomtom screen with black background. Anyone can help me repair my tomtom?
thankss

Can your unit be seen by Explorer? It sounds as if the operating system got screwed up. If you can get Explorer to see the unit's contents, make a backup of the contents, ensuring that hidden files/folders are showing as are extensions for known file types.

Now, remove the loose files, NO FOLDERS or contents, from the unit.

Connect the 720 to the computer, restart Home. Hopefully, it'll recognize that the firmware is missing and offer to download the software. Say yes if it does.

Do all this without the sd card in the unit.

If all works out well, make sure you detach the device PROPERLY from the computer. In Home, Disconnect Device and do NOT disconnect when the screen says it is ok to do so. Wait till the unit boots either to the legal screen or the main screen. Then disconnect.

If you've gotten this far, again connect the unit to the computer. Do NOT start Home. Use Explorer for another full backup.

yeah i guess so the problem is that im from Malta and i will probably need to send them the gps. anyways 10x for helping though;)

Same problem

Hi. My wife's 720 has the same problem (except on a Mac) did you have any luck sorting the problem?

Hello,i have TT go expert 7 and this freeze or blackscreen.I tell about this for tt suport but answera have no effect.Anyoane have the similar problem or what is hapen,how tonrezolve this!?

yeah i guess so the problem is that im from Malta and i will probably need to send them the gps. anyways 10x for helping though;)
1. When did you last update the map from Malta.
2. What size is it, if you remember.
3. Do you have a larger, like European map on it?
4. How big is your SD card?
5. Did you look at the files with Windows Explorer with HOME closed?

@Arno
In spite of the thread into which @mgmm placed the post (an old GO 720 thread), he has the new 7" Expert (truck model). Home and Explorer aren't going to happen.

@mgmm
Under what circumstances does your device 'freeze' or go to a black screen? Is there any pattern to the problem?
Is this a new device, or have you had this device for a while and it was working correctly before?
The answers will decide our next steps.

I need to look into how to excise certain parts of threads to move them to a new one in a 'correct' location...

Produsul este cumparat din magazin, are 2 ani. La început a funcționat bine o vreme, apoi a început să aibă astfel de probleme. Nu este o regulă când se prăbușește. Poate rula 2 zile fara probleme, dar este posibil sa se blocheze si de 3 ori pe zi. Scuze daca nu am postat topicul unde ar trebui!

The product was in service, they didn't do anything! I did the following: I resoftened it in TT Home, I reset it, I stopped the synchronization, I changed the power cable, the charger... nothing gave results!

@mgmm
Translated, that would be:

"The product is bought from the store, it is 2 years old. At first it worked fine for a while, then it started having these kinds of problems. It is not a rule when it crashes. It can run for 2 days without problems, but it is possible to crash 3 times a day. Sorry if I didn't post the topic where it should!"

OK. Let's start with the 'easy' solutions first.

It may be content that you have added to the device that is causing troubles, or in some rare cases, it could be a TomTom 'cloud' connection that causes issues.

So let's start with the easy one. If you have the device configured to contact the TomTom 'cloud' for sync of routes and favorites, try turning that off for a few days except when you need to transfer data. (Edit - you posted while I was typing, so I see that you have already tried this).

If that does not help, then we would recommend a 'factory reset' of the device to bring it back to 'fresh out of the box' configuration.
That is explained here >>

@mgmm
What does this mean? "I resoftened it in TT Home" TT Home does not work with the last several generations of TomTom devices.

Give the factory reset a try.

I try all alternatives.Read in the post with the video, thanks

Ask a Question