TomTom GO 600 Current Pointing Direction

TomTom Model(s)
GO 600
Just bought a new GO 600 for travelling purposes. Is there any way I can use it like Google Maps where the map shows a cone to illustrate which direction you are currently facing for navigation while walking?

If you are moving fast enough, the blue chevron will reliably indicate your current direction of travel, just as it does when using it in the car. Don't expect more than a couple of hours of battery life. These things really are designed to be plugged in.

Not sure why features like these were not carried over to the new models but from what I heard, seems like older models have the same current direction feature similar to the one on iPhone Google Maps. :(

???
Some (not all) older models had a compass feature. Your 600 does, too. If you're in 3D mode or 2D 'direction of travel' mode, there will be a compass at the top of the +/- zoom pair.
Older models had a chevron indicating direction of travel. Your 600 does, too. As long as you are moving, it should show your location and direction of travel.

Yes I am aware of that. But that compass doesn't seem to be updating instantaneously when I rotate with the device. Seems to me it is only updating whenever the chevron changes direction.

That's because none of these units (old or new) is using an 'electronic compass' chip internal to the device. Your direction is determined based upon the difference in your position as you move. The only purpose built GPS units that I know that support this are certain handheld GPS units, and even some of those do not use a compass chip, and require motion to determine direction of travel. The best of the recent handhelds use a 3-axis chip that doesn't require that the unit is held level for the compass to work properly.

Most newer smart phones incorporate an electronic compass. If you're not interested in the $ for a new handheld GPS, your phone may well be the most practical alternative.

Ask a Question